Clinton Jones

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

NoMore
Club Player

Clinton Jones

Ok i know i was on this topic last week, but friday night what the hell was that.
This guy is a Hack who has got a game in the past because he was able to stop the oppositions best midfielder. It seems to me Ross has totally lost the plot. Who in there right mind would have made him there sub. What was he going to offer if we didn't need him and had have bought him on to make an impact.

I am sick of this crap selection policy. I don't want to see Jones play anymore unless he is tagging someone. Even then i am not sure u can play a single minded tagger anymore with the less interchange.

He is getting towelled up reguarly at the moment and that has to be a worry. Without Lenny our midfield will not be good enough to carry guys like him, dempster, peake, ray, geary, eddy and gram.

Luckily for those players lenny has papered over the cracks for alot of years

Time to go Jones

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I agree on both counts.

Could not understand why he was made a sub. And his 'only handball' policy is a liability. I rather him stuff up the kick then win the ball, go backwards, attempt to find an option with the hands and subsequently put a teammate under pressure.

He has been out of form for quite some time. I think his position is one in which we can improve from.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:I agree on both counts.

Could not understand why he was made a sub. And his 'only handball' policy is a liability. I rather him stuff up the kick then win the ball, go backwards, attempt to find an option with the hands and subsequently put a teammate under pressure.

He has been out of form for quite some time. I think his position is one in which we can improve from.
I reckon he is carrying some kind of injury, but like quite a few other players, he needs to lift his workrate.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:I agree on both counts.

I also think this is a sad reality, the game is moving past pure taggers.

Ling is fortunate to have good footskills, so they can justify his position in the Cats best 21. Even Daniel Jackson from the Tigers managed to kick 2 goals on Chris Judd in Rd 1.

You need another string to your bow these days, and I'm not sure Clint can hurt the opposition unless he really tries to improve his footskills?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cj is very lucky Lenny is injured. He is out of form but i dont think we have much choice but to play him. And I agree he doesnt really fit the sub person who is someone who can have an immediate impact. The real problem CJ has got and he was found out late last year is the game is changing a midfield tagger is just about dead and buried. Maybe he can go back and play on a small forward but the problem with that is he may actually win the ball. Then we are in trouble.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Cj is very lucky Lenny is injured. He is out of form but i dont think we have much choice but to play him. And I agree he doesnt really fit the sub person who is someone who can have an immediate impact. The real problem CJ has got and he was found out late last year is the game is changing a midfield tagger is just about dead and buried. Maybe he can go back and play on a small forward but the problem with that is he may actually win the ball. Then we are in trouble.
Will wonders never cease? After more than 18,000 attempts, a response that a) largely agrees with the OP, b) contains a bit of actual analysis and c) comes up with a realistic suggestion. Then again, maybe someone has hijacked the computer.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Well, there is a ready made role for him this week...Stop Jobe!

The odd thing is that we haven't bothered assigning a player to him in the past three encounters with the same result. Jobe has killed us and Essendon has won!

It is time for the club to admit that the approach against Essendon has not worked and that we need to change that. Assigning a hard tag to Watson would be a good place to start.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:Well, there is a ready made role for him this week...Stop Jobe!

The odd thing is that we haven't bothered assigning a player to him in the past three encounters with the same result. Jobe has killed us and Essendon has won!

It is time for the club to admit that the approach against Essendon has not worked and that we need to change that. Assigning a hard tag to Watson would be a good place to start.
With zones these days a midfield tagger stuffs you up. What the Tigers did with Delideo is perfect. Have a run with player who can also use the ball. CJ doesnt really fit that bill. He needs to run with a player but also set up or you are one short and will get beaten around the stoppages.

NoMore
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote:Well, there is a ready made role for him this week...Stop Jobe!

I think the reason we don't tag Jobe is the fact that like Lenny inside midfielders are almost impossible to tag. Baker was good at it with judd for a while but eventually it is just to hard to follw them and they get rid of the ball to quickley

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

With zones these days a midfield tagger stuffs you up. What the Tigers did with Delideo is perfect. Have a run with player who can also use the ball. CJ doesnt really fit that bill. He needs to run with a player but also set up or you are one short and will get beaten around the stoppages.
Still a place for them in the few games played in a bog, but like you say and others have intimated, if Jobe gets 40, we want, say, Dal Santo to get a better 40 as his opponent.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
gosaints
Club Player

The issue with a hard tag of a gun midfielder now is that with the sub rule and only 3 on the bench they are spending more time forward and the thought of Clint Jones in our back 50 gives me nightmares.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Didn't hurt us last season when he totally shut Brent Harvey out of the game. I still believe that that role has a place against certain sides. Essendon rely on Jobe to provide first use. If CJ hinders that process then it can only help us.

NoMore
Club Player

I actually think that the debate about the tagger is a seperate issue. At the moment he is not good enough even to do that. He is consistently getting beaten

His kicking skills are atrocious and in agreeance with the other posters having him down back is enough to make me want to go home

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Didn't hurt us last season when he totally shut Brent Harvey out of the game. I still believe that that role has a place against certain sides. Essendon rely on Jobe to provide first use. If CJ hinders that process then it can only help us.
Last season there was a best 22, now it's getting harder to justify pure negators an entire position.

I'd rather put say a Farren to do a run with role like he did on Dane Swan, if a particular player is causing us headaches.

I really like Jones though :?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Dont think CJ has ever tagged Jobe Watson types... Pretty sure we let the in and unders go head to head...

Agree with p66. Need a balance of stop, and hurt these days. Impossible for a tagger to stop all the time, so being able to hurt and make accountable adds another dimension.

NoMore
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Dont think CJ has ever tagged Jobe Watson types... Pretty sure we let the in and unders go head to head...

Agree with p66. Need a balance of stop, and hurt these days. Impossible for a tagger to stop all the time, so being able to hurt and make accountable adds another dimension.
Not to be to critical of Brent Harvey as he is one of the greats of the game but the reason he is not considered among the all time greats of the game is that he is often tagged out of the game because he is an outside midfielder mor in the mould of DalSanto than Hayes and therefore is easier to tag

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
And I agree he doesnt really fit the sub person who is someone who can have an immediate impact. .
If the sub is good enough togreatlt influence a game they should be in yoir top 18-ish...and not playing as a sub.

The sub is there to be an injury substitute...and then if no injuries will play the last quarter or so for fresh legs.

most likely most teams will rotate their subs as playing onlya quartera week would make it hard to stay in form.

Speaking of form.... that is the real issue with CJ at present, plus as others have said the decreased need for taggers.

In form howver CJ did play some great games when he was not tagging.

Need for some oor younger players to play well enough to demand spots.

CJ's place could get interesting with Ledge gets back.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
And I agree he doesnt really fit the sub person who is someone who can have an immediate impact. .
If the sub is good enough togreatlt influence a game they should be in yoir top 18-ish...and not playing as a sub.
Ridiculous spelling aside - SPOT ON :wink:

NoMore
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Ridiculous spelling aside - SPOT ON :wink:
Agreed but the sub should also be someone with pace so that late in a game if he comes on he should be able to use his run to help the team.
Just wasn't sure what Jones was going to offer us on friday night.
BTW he is not alone couldn't see what Blake and Dempster were going to offer us off the bench either. So i am not making him a scapegoat

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The sub is there to be an injury substitute...and then if no injuries will play the last quarter or so for fresh legs.

most likely most teams will rotate their subs as playing onlya quartera week would make it hard to stay in form.

Speaking of form.... that is the real issue with CJ at present, plus as others have said the decreased need for taggers.

In form howver CJ did play some great games when he was not tagging.

Need for some oor younger players to play well enough to demand spots.

CJ's place could get interesting with Ledge gets back.
Must have missed the part where I said great influence, I said immediate impact as most from just about every club have had so far.

Mr X from the West
Club Player

Goodes did a good job on Watson on the weekend.

Goddard is a similar type player to Goodes...is he a match up for Watson?

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
NoMore
Club Player

Mr X from the West wrote:Goodes did a good job on Watson on the weekend.

Goddard is a similar type player to Goodes...is he a match up for Watson?
I very much like ur thinking

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

CJ was handy back in 2008 and 2009 when he was a relative unknown.

He has now been totally identified by opposing coaches as a major weak link who will turn the ball over whenever he is seriously pressured.

I actually suspect his AFL career may be drawing to its end. He needed to improve his disposal skills significantly and he hasn't been able to do this (and, to be fair to him, very few footballers seem to be able to achieve much improvement to their disposal skills once they reach the top level: Harvey in terms of his disposal by foot is one of the very few cases I can think of).

plugger66 I hear what you are saying in terms of our not having much choice but to play him, but I strongly believe that - in the absence of any young blokes stepping up - even a badly out-of-form McQualter (ie, McQualter in his post-2009 mode) would actually be better than CJ. At least McQualter generally disposes of the ball pretty well by both hand and foot.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
noob
Club Player

Even his handball can be a liability. Generally tries to handball it to a good user but as other teams have worked on are already pressuring these blokes. Smart teams will just lay off jones and just tag on the better uses of footy.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I don't think he has been that bad, not what he was at his best but still worth persisting with. As I said in another post, a Richmond fan that I went to the footy with suggested we use him as an in and under player now Lenny is out. It does play to his strengths and minimises his deficiencies. He would be able to concentrate on getting the ball out to guys who use it well, no one could deny he puts his head over the ball.