Gamble is a better option forward than ....?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Gamble is a better option forward than ....?

Gamble is a better option forward than ....? Who, Lynch, Stanley, Archer, Steven, Sipposs.
My tip is we will never know, because Ross will continue to play Gamble at the expence of the younger players.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Me! :lol:

lefty
Club Player

You have to give Gamble a few weeks to prove his worth.

Also depends on team balance and the opposition defenders, otherwise I do expect Lynch or Stevens to play.

Suggesting Archer, Sipposs etc, they are not ready to play senior football, their all too young and not built strong enough.

Stanley will have to come in next week, we need an alternative big man target, other than just Roo.

Remember, last night the entire team was s***, and one of the most frustrating games to watch, and cost me two hundred on a game that we should of won on paper....

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Seven inside 50s and a goal. Had a far better night than Milne.

He's a support player who suffered in the absence of tall timber. Didn't hurt the cause enough to lose his spot for mine.

There are others far more deserving of your critical eye.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Dont worry, Jones, Gilbert, McQualter, etc, all get my critical eye. There should be at least four changes next week, and a couple of kids blooded.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Dont worry, Jones, Gilbert, McQualter, etc, all get my critical eye. There should be at least four changes next week, and a couple of kids blooded.
Gilbert didn't play poorly. What are you on about?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Gamble was supposed to be an as well of, not an instead of?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Lynch is a first round pick creative hit up hf......so either the recruiter got it wrong or ross has, because we are crying out for his type...gamble is charlie gardiner revisited

Geary, stanley, steven, smith, lynch, winmar, cripps
All between 19-21 and relatively untried

Surely are breating down the neck of

Peake, mcqualter, baker, dempster, jones, gamble
All between 24-30 and well tried

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

From what I saw last night Vegas is as soft as butter. The half arsed attempt at a mark in the last qtr was a disgrace. I would much rather see lynch and Stanley be given a go

gosaints
Club Player

Gamble needs to be given a chance. At times for Geelong he proved he can play, including a good game or 2 against us. It's going to take him a little while to become used to playing in a forwardline for a team with absolutely no creativity when bringing the ball forward. Playing as a forward not named Riewoldt for St.Kilda would just about be the hardest gig in footy.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

was anyone really expecting Gamble to come in kick 6 goals aand take 15 marks last night ?? the bloke got delisted from Geelong for a reason ...not saying he is going to be a dud but please lets have a realistic expectation on the bloke ....

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Gamble was recruited as the third or fourth option after Roo, Kosi and possibly Gilbert, who will go forward, Blake back, when Kosi comes back too rest forward with McEvoy.
However the real problem with our forwards is that they play way too far up the ground, I mean how many times was our forward line completely void of anyone last night.
You can't hit a target, if there is no target there, which prbably explains a fair bit of our poor disposal forward.
I mean I have to ask, is part of Ross's gameplan to kick goals, we are so obsessed with defence that we seemed to have forgotten how to kick goals.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Gamble was recruited as the third or fourth option after Roo, Kosi and possibly Gilbert, who will go forward, Blake back, when Kosi comes back too rest forward with McEvoy.
However the real problem with our forwards is that they play way too far up the ground, I mean how many times was our forward line completely void of anyone last night.
You can't hit a target, if there is no target there, which prbably explains a fair bit of our poor disposal forward.
I mean I have to ask, is part of Ross's gameplan to kick goals, we are so obsessed with defence that we seemed to have forgotten how to kick goals.
i dont think Ross's game plan was kick only 5 goals .... the game plan was set for more goal i could see that but unfortunatly Roo couldnt outmark 4 defenders , Milne was non existant and the other forwarsd were no where to be seen ... the idea was theree but the aplication on the night wasnt

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

busso mick
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote:Gamble was recruited as the third or fourth option after Roo, Kosi and possibly Gilbert, who will go forward, Blake back, when Kosi comes back too rest forward with McEvoy.
Some good points made here 3gs. At draft pick # 90 Gamble was not recruited as the ultimate solution to the Saints forward problems. As a team that has based it's style around a defensive press, playing in the Saints forward line is a hard gig. It is hardwired in our DNA now to play defensively, when there is an armwrestle game (like last night) most of the time we initiate the armwrestle.

Solving our lack of scoring is a lot more complex than pointing the finger at a late draft pick after one game. If Ross is true to his word about becoming more attacking then sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards :wink:.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think Gamble got a game on his Nab form which was good. He would want a better game next week or someone will take his spot. His worst mistake was hand balling straight to a geelong defender who cleared it.

Give him some time though, a few good judges rate him.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:I think Gamble got a game on his Nab form which was good. He would want a better game next week or someone will take his spot. His worst mistake was hand balling straight to a geelong defender who cleared.
His worst mistake was putting one hand up and ducking his head in a marking contest in the last quarter. I cant think of another player in our top 30 who would have squibbed like that.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:
gringo wrote:I think Gamble got a game on his Nab form which was good. He would want a better game next week or someone will take his spot. His worst mistake was hand balling straight to a geelong defender who cleared.
His worst mistake was putting one hand up and ducking his head in a marking contest in the last quarter. I cant think of another player in our top 30 who would have squibbed like that.
kinda like Fiora all over again ....

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Seven inside 50s and a goal. Had a far better night than Milne.

He's a support player who suffered in the absence of tall timber. Didn't hurt the cause enough to lose his spot for mine.

There are others far more deserving of your critical eye.
Seven inside 50's for zero goal assists is not something to be proud of. I agree that he should be given a few more weeks as a third target (rather than FF) to prove his worth, if he doesn't perform then Lynch should get a gig.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
St Chris wrote:His worst mistake was putting one hand up and ducking his head in a marking contest in the last quarter. I cant think of another player in our top 30 who would have squibbed like that.
To be fair to Fiora his toughness was never a problem at St Kilda. He put his body in just as the rest of the team did, his problem was that he just couldn't get enough of the ball.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
St Chris wrote:His worst mistake was putting one hand up and ducking his head in a marking contest in the last quarter. I cant think of another player in our top 30 who would have squibbed like that.
To be fair to Fiora his toughness was never a problem at St Kilda. He put his body in just as the rest of the team did, his problem was that he just couldn't get enough of the ball.
yeah GT just called him a squib for nothing :roll: short memories some people .. Fiora had one game when he squibed it GT publicly slamed him for it and he spent the rest of his carreer trying to make up for it

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Its interesting that no-one has mentioned Nick Heyne in this thread. I would have thought that he, Tommy Lynch, Rhys Stanley & Ryan Gamble would all be competing for ONE spot.

At this stage it would appear that the order is;

Gamble
Lynch
Stanley
Heyne

It could all boil down to who wants it the most !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:yeah GT just called him a squib for nothing :roll: short memories some people .. Fiora had one game when he squibed it GT publicly slamed him for it and he spent the rest of his carreer trying to make up for it
So you let one incident define his entire time at St Kilda? Bryce Gibbs squibbed a contest with Stephen Milne once. Wouldn't mind having him though.
Its interesting that no-one has mentioned Nick Heyne in this thread. I would have thought that he, Tommy Lynch, Rhys Stanley & Ryan Gamble would all be competing for ONE spot
I haven't seen anything from Heyne to suggest that he's an AFL player. Doesn't get much of the ball and blindly kicks it forward when he does. Interesting on Stanley though, I wonder if he is competing with the mediums like Gamble and Lynch or the talls like Kosi and Archer.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I put Stanley in the medium category more because of his athleticism than anything else. I would love see him given the chance to learn the game as the 3rd or 4th forward. I think he is a lot more of a forward than a ruckman. Is your assessment of Heyne that he is no more than a list clogger? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:yeah GT just called him a squib for nothing :roll: short memories some people .. Fiora had one game when he squibed it GT publicly slamed him for it and he spent the rest of his carreer trying to make up for it
So you let one incident define his entire time at St Kilda? Bryce Gibbs squibbed a contest with Stephen Milne once. Wouldn't mind having him though.
thats the whole point that kind of thing sticks with a player ... Fizz after that put it on the line every time but to pleanty will be remembered always as a squib ....

im actually defending Gamble not sinking the boots in