Heroes and villains

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Heroes and villains

Contested Possessions

Heroes:
L.Hayes 14
N.Dal Santo 11
N.Riewoldt 10
B.Goddard 9
L.Montagna 9

Villains:
J.Blake 1
A.McQualter 2
S.Dempster 3
B.Peake 3
D.Armitage 3
J.Gwilt 3
J.Gram 3

Disappointing to see McQualter, Dempster, Armitage and Gram on that list. Peake only played for a quarter, and Gwilt contributed elsewhere.

Tackles

Heroes:
J.Blake 7
B.Goddard 6
L.Montagna 6
D.Armitage 5
S.Gilbert 5
L.Hayes 5

Up forward, does Blake become the new McQualter? Armitage adding some value but needs to pick up his CPs.

Turnovers %

Villains:
A.McQualter 0.25
R.Gamble 0.22
S.Gilbert 0.2
D.Armitage 0.18
B.Peake 0.18

Gamble very much a mixed bag, could say the same about Gilbert and Armitage, McQualter an outright liability and Peake not far behind.

Marks (Cont. + Uncont.)

Heroes:
J.Gram 7
J.Blake 6
R.Clarke 6
B.McEvoy 6
S.Gilbert 6
B.Goddard 6
N.Riewoldt 6

Discuss.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Wizsteppa
Club Player

Just to add to those stats Inker,also a superb game by one Raph Clarke(by his previous standards anyway)..That is all.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

On these figures alone you would say Goddard, Hayes and Riewoldt outstanding, Montagna, Clarke and McEvoy very good. Gwilt, Gilbert, Gamble and Blake flawed but with redeeming qualities.

Armitage deserves another chance. Gram and Dempster have to be put on notice. McQualter and arguably Peake have to go.

For the rest of the side - Dawson was excellent - 8 CP's. Dal Santo was busy with 30 disposals. Fisher, Ray and Jones were relatively quiet. Milne and Baker had little impact.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

To Me, the biggest positive to come out of last night is

that LENNY seems to have lost NOTHING!!

He'll still be there when the whips are cracking.

He is the true heart and soul of the side (not the only one mind you),

But he will help make sure we never go down without a fight.

Love Him. :)

wasaintsfan
Club Player

why is peake on that list??? for villans of contested possesions???

he played what 1/4?????? on that ratio he was ahead of dal =\

and a couple of peakes turn overs were faults of the other players....

ie gram was in the lead of a foot race but had 2 near.... kicked it infront of gram who shouldve run onto it..... but didnt....

and kicks to contest... when no one was presenting which if thats the case... roo should be the worst at that because he didnt mark the ball and let it run out/

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

wasaintsfan wrote:ie gram was in the lead of a foot race but had 2 near.... kicked it infront of gram who shouldve run onto it..... but didnt....
This, and it happened alot unfortunately when it came to number 1.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
wasaintsfan wrote:ie gram was in the lead of a foot race but had 2 near.... kicked it infront of gram who shouldve run onto it..... but didnt....
This, and it happened alot unfortunately when it came to number 1.
he needs to go back to the VFL ... his form is going down quicker then ki.... never mind ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

wasaintsfan wrote:why is peake on that list??? for villans of contested possesions???

Yes I did point out Peake's game time - but that list of turnovers is a percentage figure so no, he was not ahead of Dal.

None of these lists measure a player's value, their selection is prejudicial. If you value a player like BJ, Lenny or Roo, find a metric that they lead in and look at who is trailing.

As for Peake - would his percentage have improved with more game time? Hard to argue in the affirmative. At 27 and with a full season at the Saints under his belt he is starting to look like a known quantity.

Dempster - 27. Had a knee reco but that is a while ago now. Has he ever had a breakout game?

Ditto McQualter, although he is a bit younger at 24 he has played 86 career games and is fast becoming the definition of a list clogger.

Contrast these three to Clarke, who to my great relief showed none of the brain fades from the pre-season and played like a champ. There's every reason to believe that if he can stay on the park he will build consistency.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:
wasaintsfan wrote:why is peake on that list??? for villans of contested possesions???

Yes I did point out Peake's game time - but that list of turnovers is a percentage figure so no, he was not ahead of Dal.

None of these lists measure a player's value, their selection is prejudicial. If you value a player like BJ, Lenny or Roo, find a metric that they lead in and look at who is trailing.

As for Peake - would his percentage have improved with more game time? Hard to argue in the affirmative. At 27 and with a full season at the Saints under his belt he is starting to look like a known quantity.

Dempster - 27. Had a knee reco but that is a while ago now. Has he ever had a breakout game?

Ditto McQualter, although he is a bit younger at 24 he has played 86 career games and is fast becoming the definition of a list clogger.

Contrast these three to Clarke, who to my great relief showed none of the brain fades from the pre-season and played like a champ. There's every reason to believe that if he can stay on the park he will build consistency.
the comparision with dal was at the contested possesions comment not the turnover %

the turnover % was just a statement that its going to be low when players at the other end dont compete for it hard enough

with a couple of examples listed next to it..

am i saying that peake is our best player?? no im not but i am stating 100% he was no where near our worst on the night and that he couldve easily had 2-3 goal assist had other people had worked slighty harder at the other end

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Wizsteppa wrote:Just to add to those stats Inker,also a superb game by one Raph Clarke(by his previous standards anyway)..That is all.
And..........As if on que, Raph kicked a goal not long after ppl located not far from you & I said he was a chyt kick for goal !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

wasaintsfan wrote:the comparision with dal was at the contested possesions comment not the turnover %

the turnover % was just a statement that its going to be low when players at the other end dont compete for it hard enough

with a couple of examples listed next to it..

am i saying that peake is our best player?? no im not but i am stating 100% he was no where near our worst on the night and that he couldve easily had 2-3 goal assist had other people had worked slighty harder at the other end
My mistake, I couldn't quite make sense of your point. I get what you're saying, and in this study Peake is a victim of a small sample size.

There's little doubt that Gram is also a villain. Somewhere down the line the team has to have enough elastic in it to allow emerging players a crack. Ross even admitted as much in the pre-season, and then serves up this s***. Gilbert back. Blake forward. No third tall forward. No debutants. And one of the ugliest games of football ever.