So - has our opinion of Roo changed after this summer?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

So - has our opinion of Roo changed after this summer?

Has anyone changed their opinion of our captain as a result of the numerous articles about him this summer?

Rather than remain unchanged or even think worse of him, in many respects I actually think more of him now. I didn't agree with his speech at the agm HOWEVER what he has shown this summer is that he is human like the rest of us. He's capable of mucking around on footy trips, he loses his temper with the public occasionally, and he's emotive about his footy.

I also actually reckon that the latest 'story' about him will swing public sympathy his way it was that ridiculous.

I much rather a human than a robot leading our club. I always loved him for his footy ability, but to see him act like one of the boys has endeared him to me.

Are others disappointed in him, opinion unchanged, or like him more as I do?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Could not care less about his private life, I want him to dominate a GF and win us a flag.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Always seemed like a good guy. Nothing changed for me however the speech did nothing for me.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Nope, mine hasn't. He's a champ.

philtee
Club Player

The photos controversy...not his fault.
The fish and chip shop showdown...not his fault.
The AGM speech...fine by me.
The "camera-mum" f-bomb...what did she expect?

Will he still be backing into packs ?
Kicking goals from the boundary?
Running opponents into the ground?

My opinion hasn't changed one bit - he's a champ.

SaintDebi
Club Player

philtee wrote:The photos controversy...not his fault.

Couldn't say it better than this.

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
St Lenny
Club Player

I have no problems with the way Roo has conducted himself. And I believe he is correct with what he said at the AGM. Has my full support.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

It's a relief to know he is human.... had me worried for a while there.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Maxstar22
Club Player

philtee wrote:The photos controversy...not his fault.

This and then some 8-)

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I reckon it's an important question for saints fans. Who cares what pies, blues, bombers fans think. They won't be buying a membership anyway. I read with frustration ppl purporting to be saints fans claiming that they won't be renewing a membership this year partly on the back of what has happened to Roo. I just hope it's ppl venting rather than actually following through with anything.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I reckon it's an important question for saints fans. Who cares what pies, blues, bombers fans think. They won't be buying a membership anyway. I read with frustration ppl purporting to be saints fans claiming that they won't be renewing a membership this year partly on the back of what has happened to Roo. I just hope it's ppl venting rather than actually following through with anything.
People like that are only short term supportersanyway. I understand we dont want to lose any support if we can help it but if they are leaving because of the stuff now how will they go when it is our turn down the bottom. I think people are getting more soft by the year.

PakenhamSaint
Club Player

In a word....no.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Not a fan of ROO as Captain!

A great player but a pretty boy and NOT the sort of player I think our club needs as there marque player. I would rather the natural leadership of Lenny HAYES. ROO is obviously the highest paid player at the club and there is a huge gap between his salary and the players he is trying to influence. Which if I was; say Jarryd GEARY I would be thinking there is no way this guy is worth 8 x times what I am being paid.

I have always thought he was emotionally a bit soft and would rather a more working class captain and a more evenly paid list.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Not a fan of ROO as Captain!

WinnersOnly wrote:A great player but a pretty boy and NOT the sort of player I think our club needs as there marque player. I would rather the natural leadership of Lenny HAYES. ROO is obviously the highest paid player at the club and there is a huge gap between his salary and the players he is trying to influence. Which if I was; say Jarryd GEARY I would be thinking there is no way this guy is worth 8 x times what I am being paid.

I have always thought he was emotionally a bit soft and would rather a more working class captain and a more evenly paid list.

What a load of crap. Is he a pretty boy because of the blond hair or is the courage it took to take one of the greatest marks ever taken against the Swans in 2004.

And is Roo worth 8X Geary, Id say yes and a bit more. Who joins or continues to be a member because of Geary compared to Rooy.

Love to know where this pretty boy stuff is shown. Dont see him doing a great deal of modelling or even much advertising.

Maxstar22
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:A great player but a pretty boy and NOT the sort of player I think our club needs as there marque player. I would rather the natural leadership of Lenny HAYES. ROO is obviously the highest paid player at the club and there is a huge gap between his salary and the players he is trying to influence. Which if I was; say Jarryd GEARY I would be thinking there is no way this guy is worth 8 x times what I am being paid.

I suspect Jarryd Geary might think that....not so sure about our Jarryn Geary though :roll:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Could not care less about his private life, I want him to dominate a GF and win us a flag.
+ 1. my only criticism is id like him to kick more goals.

could not give a flying fox about what he does off-field. he could build a childrens orphanage in tibet with his bare hands and id still be dirty when he shanks one :-)

awesome player though.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

What a load of crap. Is he a pretty boy because of the blond hair or is the courage it took to take one of the greatest marks ever taken against the Swans in 2004.

And is Roo worth 8X Geary, Id say yes and a bit more. Who joins or continues to be a member because of Geary compared to Rooy.

Love to know where this pretty boy stuff is shown. Dont see him doing a great deal of modelling or even much advertising.
Spot on plugger :wink:

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Could not care less about his private life, I want him to dominate a GF and win us a flag.
+ 1. my only criticism is id like him to kick more goals.

could not give a flying fox about what he does off-field. he could build a childrens orphanage in tibet with his bare hands and id still be dirty when he shanks one :-)

awesome player though.
Agree with both.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Love our skipper.

I'm so glad somebody finally came out and acknowledged that our club has been unfairly hounded for the past 18 months.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

Wow you really are an offensive f...wit Plugger66.

I wonder if ROO was asked to take a %50 pay cut would he still be at our club - I doubt it. When has he fired when it has mattered - not once. Over rated and over targeted as a key forward. Soft pretty boy. How many players has he physically intimidated throughout his time.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I wonder if ROO was asked to take a %50 pay cut would he still be at our club - I doubt it. When has he fired when it has mattered - not once. Over rated and over targeted as a key forward. Soft pretty boy. How many players has he physically intimidated throughout his time.
P66 sticks up for our skipper and HE'S an offensive F'Wit? :lol: :lol:

You carry on with macho rubbish and intimidating opposition players and YOU are the wise one. :lol: Very funny.

Maxstar22
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Me thinks Winners is must be getting confused as he is talking utter shite.

Rooey (as well as many other players) did take a pay cut, so they could all stay together (just like Brissy) and to fit other players into the salary cap.

Roo runs almost every opponent he has off their feet. Why do you think he gets double and trippled teamed?

Here is an example of his courage and leadership....PF 2010. Out for the count and having what looked like some sort of fit. He willed himself out of it, jumped up, dusted himself off and went on to kick a number of goals to help us win the match.

I think I will now let others spank you for you idiotic post :roll:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Just found this. I didn't write it but I kinda wish I had.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Bravo Peter Ryan :)

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Champion.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Maxstar22 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Me thinks Winners is must be getting confused as he is talking utter shite.

Rooey (as well as many other players) did take a pay cut, so they could all stay together (just like Brissy) and to fit other players into the salary cap.

Roo runs almost every opponent he has off their feet. Why do you think he gets double and trippled teamed?

Here is an example of his courage and leadership....PF 2010. Out for the count and having what looked like some sort of fit. He willed himself out of it, jumped up, dusted himself off and went on to kick a number of goals to help us win the match.

I think I will now let others spank you for you idiotic post :roll:
I said he was a great player - but I dont believe he is a great Captain and stand by that!

Peake and C Jones run their opponents off their feet does that make them Captain material. Did it help him in any of the GF's not once - I would rather a player who can stand his ground and not get pushed under the ball.

Why do you think Hamill went so well. He was obsulutely fierce at the player and the ball. Hamill had the opposition looking over their shoulders - they were intimidated by his presence which allowed Roo do do his work. When the flag needs to be flown for his team mates where is Reiwoldt ?

In actual fact HAYES and Monty had to stand ground for him on one occasions v Lions.

The fact that he continued to play after getting slam tackled - well whoopy doo! How many times a game do Hayes, Goddard, ect do that.
ROO is exactly the reason our club has not in recent times acheived the ultimate sucess. We idolise individuals and rather than team efforts, as a team footballer he is 'soft' and self indulged !