8 minutes!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

8 minutes!

Another opportunity awaits!
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

They have just got a hold of this now?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Ice Wolf
Club Player

#1GILL wrote:They have just got a hold of this now?

:roll: :roll: :roll:
I think one of them finally bothered to read the book and not just the blurb.

philtee
Club Player

Slow readers at the HS ?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Maxwell alludes to Luke's inabilities in his book too\

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

It's suchta tragedy that injury robbed us of a player that should have gone down as a club great.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It seems people still cannot seperate Lukes character and ability.

You question his ability, and automatically your somehow slighting his character.

saint_winston
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:Maxwell alludes to Luke's inabilities in his book too\
luke is a great bloke and it was sad to see him leave. bottom line - i would still much rather have had him in our 22 on GF day than in the 22 playing against us. i'm pretty sure he polled top 5 or 6 in the filth b&f as well

so in the wash up while i understand the reasoning on which ross moved him on, that reasoning has been found to be flawed. he has flourished elsewhere while we have not been able to cover his absence in the clinches in the big games

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I'm no expert, but I would have thought that when everyone is fresh is when a guy who lacks pace would be most vunerable.

To lose pace after 8 minutes points to an endurance issue rather than a power issue doesn't it?

And I would have thought that an endurance issue could be worked on.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saint_winston wrote:
luke is a great bloke and it was sad to see him leave. bottom line - i would still much rather have had him in our 22 on GF day than in the 22 playing against us. i'm pretty sure he polled top 5 or 6 in the filth b&f as well

so in the wash up while i understand the reasoning on which ross moved him on, that reasoning has been found to be flawed. he has flourished elsewhere while we have not been able to cover his absence in the clinches in the big games
However Ross didn't move him on.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
saint_winston wrote:

I thought I read this morning that he was offered a heavily reduced contract but by that time had already fallen out of favour with Lyon.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Question is, was he tired after going flat out for 8 minutes?

If so, I could understand that. Not that many players could run non stop for 8 minutes, getting in and under and belted around, and keep going for longer bursts without a breather.

If it was just normal running around, then it would be a worry.

Still struggled with his kicking though, whether that was a skill problem or due to his lack of endurance, who knows.

They walk amongst us...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:
saint_winston wrote:

I thought I read this morning that he was offered a heavily reduced contract but by that time had already fallen out of favour with Lyon.
Dunno, haven't read that article?

If he was in the highest wage bracket of AFL players at the time as also has been reported, I am confident it would of been heavily reduced.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:
saint_winston wrote:

Dunno, haven't read that article?

If he was in the highest wage bracket of AFL players at the time as also has been reported, I am confident it would of been heavily reduced.
Yeah, probably.

Here is some of the stuff that I read in the Herald-Sun this morning....

"ST KILDA has finally revealed the reason it axed Luke Ball. Coach Ross Lyon said his lack of pace made him a liability to the team."

"In late 2009 Ball was offered a contract described in the book as "much reduced", but by then Lyon had lost faith in him."

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ah ok thanks, here it is.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/l ... 5999112923

However I believe the 'lost faith' part of the quote you mentioned is a Ralphism, rather than a quote from the book?

Not sure, I don't have the book (yet)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Ah ok thanks, here it is.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/l ... 5999112923

However I believe the 'lost faith' part of the quote you mentioned is a Ralphism, rather than a quote from the book?

Not sure, I don't have the book (yet)
the ' lost faith' is the media and afl insiders view- including aflpa and Collingwood who persisted with the theory,
but reading Misson's book and Luke indicated the day after the 2009 grandfinal by sms he would not be coming back- from people who asked at B&-
-the club then continued to try and encourage him to stay- he again reiterated whilst overseas that he wouldn't be back- I'm guessing the pies worked out an arrangement similair to Maxwells contract- he took a cut to stay after all :)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

philtee wrote:Slow readers at the HS ?
well if you have read the book, howabout telling us what was in it for those that can't be bothered buying or reading it?? :idea:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I think 8 minutes is a good effort. Sometimes 3 or 4 is enough for me.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Really sad to see the player he's become. He can barely kick 20m. And of course his hobbling speed.

Absolutely carried by a collingwood team of fast furious players. I think he'll be finished AFL footy either by the end of this year of next.

But he has a great character blah blah blah great bloke blah blah blah.

busso mick
Club Player

ralphsmith wrote:Really sad to see the player he's become. He can barely kick 20m. And of course his hobbling speed.

Absolutely carried by a collingwood team of fast furious players. I think he'll be finished AFL footy either by the end of this year of next.

You forgot to mention 5th in the Best & Fairest in a premiership team.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

The Herald Sun misreported it. Ball was never sacked, axed, whatever. He had a contract on the table that he refused to sign, and at the end of the season asked to be traded to Collingwood.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, fiction is always more entertaining than the truth.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:Really sad to see the player he's become. He can barely kick 20m. And of course his hobbling speed.

Do you actually watch footy or are you doing other things whilst the game is on?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Do you actually watch footy or are you doing other things whilst the game is on?
He's probably doing the same thing as I am, because Ball was far from spectacular in 2010.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He's probably doing the same thing as I am, because Ball was far from spectacular in 2010.

5th in the winning GF sides B&F plus top 4 in the second GF. Yep sounds like a guy who struggled last year. Please remove the blinkers on the way out.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I think 8 minutes is a good effort. Sometimes 3 or 4 is enough for me.
lol!

You're a stayer plugger!

Just a question - can your missus verify your statement on here by any chance? :wink:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.