Time for accountability

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Time for accountability

I'm saddened by the events in New Zealand. All that time, energy AND money put into "teambuilding" for WHAT? If the trip was to bond the boys and build character then the "results" :roll: are appalling. If these guys don't have the discipline and strength of character to follow team rules in the environment of a pre-season training camp, how are they going to hang tough or even follow a gameplan on matchday?
These four blokes are the tip of an iceberg. Time for the WHOLE CLUB to commit to accountability. From the playing group down to the people who man the membership desk ...and manage the "age" subscriptions (had to get THAT grizzle in :wink: )
SO disappointed in my club at this minute., but ready to back'em come round two! :P

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Always a goldmine of common sense Jigster.

What bunch of blokes do we have playing in the club who can't get off the piss for one week?

We as Saints supporters happily put up with an Administration that couldn't manage a fart in a dunny.

Albeit that the players are important and need attention to play at their best, but where is the recipricol support for the poor bastard who pays his membership year after year?

Club functions are an embarrassment when compared with professional outfits like Carlton. The member is treated like an intruder into the private sanctum of admin staff and players.

I know, I've been to a few. Always leave with a sour taste in my mouth.

About time the club initiated a "Member First" policy in all things that don't relate directly to the player group.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

When we see blokes like "Doc" and Allan Jeans doing it tough with their health. A guy like Jack Barker who fronted up to games through good and bad times without flinching from the pain of illness, right up to the time of his death. I get SO annoyed when our coach calls for "understanding" for the "pressures" his players are under :roll: and some folks are all for "getting the guys away from the media frenzy" by taking a trip overseas. Makes me wonder just what kind of message it sends out to the players. This latest disgrace shows how far we need to go to get this club on course. Dawson should take a long hard look at himself after this affair!

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:Club functions are an embarrassment when compared with professional outfits like Carlton. The member is treated like an intruder into the private sanctum of admin staff and players.

Barrack for Carlton then. Seriously...

This whole thing is such an overreaction. I'm disappointed that the four youngsters didn't show utmost discipline but who remembers what it was like when you were away overseas with your mates at that age? It's not a reflection on the club or the group, but the maturity of a small handful of them...

They didn't do anything majorly wrong, the whole 'sleeping pill' thing has been beaten up out of all proportion and I'm sick of people getting sucked in by idiots in the press...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:Club functions are an embarrassment when compared with professional outfits like Carlton. The member is treated like an intruder into the private sanctum of admin staff and players.

This whole thing is such an overreaction. I'm disappointed that the four youngsters didn't show utmost discipline but who remembers what it was like when you were away overseas with your mates at that age? It's not a reflection on the club or the group, but the maturity of a small handful of them...

They didn't do anything majorly wrong, the whole 'sleeping pill' thing has been beaten up out of all proportion and I'm sick of people getting sucked in by idiots in the press...
Yep blame the press. Unless I am missing something this isnt a trip overseas with mates. They agreed to certain things and 4 players stuffed up in less than a week. By the way the club suspended the 4 players for 6 weeks. To me that sounds pretty serious. Or did they only do it because of the press.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The media hysteria is over the top and while it doesn't seem like it, St Kilda does not have a monopoly on these issues. The sanctimonious commentary, especially by the media, is unreal. The management of 40 young men in a fragile environment is always going to be a tricky act. They’re not perfect men. They're not gods. Opposition fans that have a dig at our club and can’t see that this is a wider football issue are dumb.

The players have done the crime and will do the time. The club has done the right thing and come clean and the leadership group has imposed the maximum penalty possible. I'm a lot more concerned that this may be a wider problem and I would like to know what the club is going to do about it, especially in the light of the comments made by the ALFPA. As members, as I assume most of us are on Saintsaitional, now is the time to be asking the club some tough questions and not to be shoving the knives in or not turning up.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Ross & Michael on the front foot !!

Both Ross Lyon & Michael Nettlefold were on the front foot all day today doing lots of interviews. Not only were they both very strong on what hapened in NZ, they were both equally as strong on the inaccuracy & saensationalism that has occured in the media.

It left me feeling that our club is in pretty good hands !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

taz
Club Player

Fair dink if one of the players forgot to wash their hands after the toilet the press would be all over it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

taz wrote:Fair dink if one of the players forgot to wash their hands after the toilet the press would be all over it.
Yep its their fault.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

taz wrote:Fair dink if one of the players forgot to wash their hands after the toilet the press would be all over it.
Can posters just stop with the press thing. Fact is the players did something wrong, what is the press meant to write?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
Can posters just stop with the press thing. Fact is the players did something wrong, what is the press meant to write?
How about the facts, ONLY the facts !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross & Michael on the front foot !!

Eastern wrote:Both Ross Lyon & Michael Nettlefold were on the front foot all day today doing lots of interviews. Not only were they both very strong on what hapened in NZ, they were both equally as strong on the inaccuracy & saensationalism that has occured in the media.

It left me feeling that our club is in pretty good hands !!
Big friggin deal. Sounds like you believe a bit of bulls***.

Ross is full of it going all philosophical about player welfare and boredom. Pure media spin rubbish to divert the media from the real issues.

It's all just arse covering now, nothing else.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I can't believe the people commenting online, or calling in saying that the Saints are soft and that the 4 players should have been sacked.

They must know a hell of a lot more about what happened in NZ than any of us do.

To my knowledge, none of these guys, including Zac, have a history of doing attrocious things. They've been fined, suspended, ordered to get jobs and do community work. IMO that seems fair punishment for breaking a curfew, having a drink and taking a few legal tablets.

This club exists to try and win games, and ultimately, premierships. You don't just go around sacking your #1 Full Back, your next potential star ruck/forward and your next potential star mid a few weeks out from the start of the season and get nothing in return. That would set the club back 5 years minimum. You don't punish the team and you don't punish the members.

The players concerned do need to pull their heads in. And there may come a time in the future when a player, regardless of his value or potential, needs to be shown the door.

This is surely not that time :roll:

linz
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:I can't believe the people commenting online, or calling in saying that the Saints are soft and that the 4 players should have been sacked.

They must know a hell of a lot more about what happened in NZ than any of us do.

To my knowledge, none of these guys, including Zac, have a history of doing attrocious things. They've been fined, suspended, ordered to get jobs and do community work. IMO that seems fair punishment for breaking a curfew, having a drink and taking a few legal tablets.

This club exists to try and win games, and ultimately, premierships. You don't just go around sacking your #1 Full Back, your next potential star ruck/forward and your next potential star mid a few weeks out from the start of the season and get nothing in return. That would set the club back 5 years minimum. You don't punish the team and you don't punish the members.

The players concerned do need to pull their heads in. And there may come a time in the future when a player, regardless of his value or potential, needs to be shown the door.

This is surely not that time :roll:
At last some reason prevails. Dr Spaceman would be a good Administrator too.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Why didn't we go to NZ and climb a bloody mountain and carry logs and run in mud and sweat our collective arse off in some kind of military boot camp thing?

Surely ducking off for some kind of picture postcard bungee jump and speedboat ride was a bit on the soft side in the first place?

Weird.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
matrix
Saintsational Legend

good point
photos with some bloody cricket twits

i prob worked harder last week

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:good point
photos with some bloody cricket twits

i prob worked harder last week
OS camps = marketing tool for our Facebook site to try and build memberships.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Harvey To Hayes wrote:

Address my point if you are going to take me to task.

Fork out your hard-earned and attend a club function. See how isolated you feel afterwards.

Never going to change my allegiences; a man doesn't change his religion overnight; but the club should start paying attention to its long-suffering membership.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

If we do the wrong thing, do people seriously believe we'll get positive press?

Sheesh, some people need a massive reality check.

Quite frankly I'm disgusted by the players' actions. I'm sick and tired of this crap - it seems the fans will forgive the players for anything.

My membership dollars shouldn't be funding Zac Dawson's medication or that 17-year old's accommodation.

They need to grow up.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

WELL SAID!!!!!!!