Tough 9 Months...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Tough 9 Months...

...no I'm not starting a thread on pregnancy, I'm talking about the season ahead.

I know this is a big call but IMO this season is going to be the toughest in our history to date.

I don’t think the pressure on the club has ever been as intense.

For the first time in our history we have lost 2 GF’s in a row, and both were ours for the taking.

We are now recognised nationally more for our off field scandals rather than our on field performances.

The players this year will cop it like they never have before... our bubble will need to be double insulated; it’s going to be a cold, cold winter outside of it for anyone representing the club.

And as far as a supporter goes, we’ve got nothing…

Any discussions relating to footy with opposition fans ends in frustration and anger…It’s not like they’re short on ammunition atm.

And unfortunately most of it is more or less true…

While I view this as a positive to a degree we are now no longer everyone’s second favourite team (due to pity), most opposition fans hate our guts, and revel in our failures on and off the field…unbelievably most of my mates even Carlton supporters hate us more than the Filth.

The only positive outcome this year for us would be a premiership.

A premiership would silence all the critics, and heal all the wounds of the past.

All that said I’m hoping…no, actually praying that the past couple of years will give us a steely resolve required to win a premiership, rather than be our undoing.

Maybe the recent scandal, might give our boys an ‘us against them’ attitude, galvanising the group, rather than dividing them like most opposition fans are wanting.

Hopefully the mental anguish that some of the boys have gone through might give them a mental edge that only mental hardship can give you.

Some of our boys have been humiliated on a scale that no one else except them could imagine.

Maybe the fear of failure on the footy field that plagues some players may seem insignificant compared to what they’ve been through.

IMO we have not been mentally and physically hard enough over the last couple of seasons.

Usually the teams who are mentally hard are quite often physically hard also; the two usually go hand in hand.

So while all this is wishful thinking there is a chance that out of this debacle some good may come.

We may hopefully see a Rooey and an NDS with a harder edge.

IMO Rooey and Dal with a bit of mongrel, and a harder mental edge could be exactly what we need.

Right now the only guys that truly fit that bill are Lenny and BJ.

Anyhow enough hypothesizing, this year will be tough for all, players and fans alike.

We are going to see what our boys are really made of over the next 9 months.

This season will really separate the men from the boys.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Agree with all that Leo J.

I too hope that our boys will take a "let's show them bast..ds" attitude into this season.

As for the fans, not a very good year to be giving up the smokes and switching to light beer!

So I won't 8-)

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:...As for the fans, not a very good year to be giving up the smokes and switching to light beer!

So I won't 8-)
Scotch might be the order of the day... dulls the pain, and helps you sleep.

philtee
Club Player

Nicely said.
It's hard to know why we're everybody's 2nd most-hated team, after years of being everyone's 2nd team. It must be because we kept
beating everybody, which means that "2nd team" stuff was just a crock anyway. It will be necessary to build up a wall against opposition
supporters and their mind games. If that comes across as
arrogance, like Essendon of 2000, Brisbane of 2003, Carlton of any year, well I can live with that.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I think we will be OK right through September.

Early October may be a bit of a worry.

Let's hope the young players grow quickly into strong, able bodied men.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Goddard's reaction and comments immediately after GF1 were a worry.

He said something along the lines of 'this time we gave it our all and our best shot, and once again it wasn't good enough.'

The players' reactions after the Geelong GF loss were more along the lines of 'we let that one slip but if we get another crack we won't let that happen again.'

BJ's comments were almost those of resignation. And clearly the performance the following week supported that.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Goddard's reaction and comments immediately after GF1 were a worry.

He said something along the lines of 'this time we gave it our all and our best shot, and once again it wasn't good enough.'

The players' reactions after the Geelong GF loss were more along the lines of 'we let that one slip but if we get another crack we won't let that happen again.'

BJ's comments were almost those of resignation. And clearly the performance the following week supported that.
Maxwell said 'it's a joke'

People say stuff.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:Goddard's reaction and comments immediately after GF1 were a worry.

People say stuff.
Maxwell was referring to the replay. Not their performance.

You're right though, people say stuff and it may mean nothing. But it worried me at the time, with that mindset how they'd come up the following week and do it all again at that level. And they didn't.

If they have thoughts of 'we did our best and it wasn't good enough' hanging in the back of their minds, then it's going to be very hard to truly believe they've got what it takes to win a flag.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:

People say stuff.

You're right though, people say stuff and it may mean nothing. But it worried me at the time, with that mindset how they'd come up the following week and do it all again at that level. And they didn't.

If they have thoughts of 'we did our best and it wasn't good enough' hanging in the back of their minds, then it's going to be very hard to truly believe they've got what it takes to win a flag.
But he did back it up the following week, he processed it and reprogrammed.

It was more a case of the one's who didn't quite reach the level either week that had the most bearing, if I was to be honest about it.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:

People say stuff.

Yeah people do say stuff.

However even if he meant that it needs to be taken in the context of 2010. Doesn't mean BJ or any of the others don't believe they can improve and have a real shot at 2011.

All teams have to think that way otherwise 15 of them may as well not bother going around this year on the basis their best last year wasn't good enough (GC can also take the year off in the knowledge their best won't be good enough :) )

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

People say stuff.
Rarely does a team loose grand finals two years in a row and then wins the following year.

No doubt a stats nerd will point out a case where it has happend....

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:

People say stuff.

However even if he meant that it needs to be taken in the context of 2010. Doesn't mean BJ or any of the others don't believe they can improve and have a real shot at 2011.

All teams have to think that way otherwise 15 of them may as well not bother going around this year on the basis their best last year wasn't good enough (GC can also take the year off in the knowledge their best won't be good enough :) )
My concern about his comments were that they were stark from everything we'd heard for the past 2-3 years.

We'd been hearing all along about 'our best footy is good enough' and 'if we play Saints footy we'll win' etc. etc.

This time, he outright conceded that our best wasn't good enough.

Again, it may have just been words. But to me, it may also have been cracks appearing in the team's self belief.

When that happens, you're rooted.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
SainterK wrote:

People say stuff.
Rarely does a team loose grand finals two years in a row and then wins the following year.

When has St Kilda done anything the conventional way?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:

People say stuff.

My concern about his comments were that they were stark from everything we'd heard for the past 2-3 years.

We'd been hearing all along about 'our best footy is good enough' and 'if we play Saints footy we'll win' etc. etc.

This time, he outright conceded that our best wasn't good enough.

Again, it may have just been words. But to me, it may also have been cracks appearing in the team's self belief.

When that happens, you're rooted.
Have you listened to his best and fairest speech?

Though in saying that, I guess I should apply my 'people say stuff' to that as well :)

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Our best was not good enough, that is true.

That grand final loss was scarring, searing and haunting. It cut deep into the spirit of the team.

How many times have teams lost 2 grand finals then won the following year? It is a gigantic ask, as two grand final losses in a row should sap the hope of a team.

A rare mental strength is needed to be able to rise again.

Somehow i feel the team will probably be stronger above the shoulders now. We've fought to the death and it wasn't enough, now we are dead fighting as phantoms ready to terrorize the competition.

We're in the beyond now, a unique place.

Looking forward to a special year.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Yep BJ's performance in GF2 clearly backed up his words from the week before :roll:

To be honest, Im getting alittle tired of people bemoaning how rubbish we were in GF2. Yes we were out played totallyu, but pehaps Collingwood were just better than us? They were clearly the best side in the comp, a level above the rest especially in the 2nd half of the season where their dominance was probably more than ours in 09. They regularly took good sides totally apart. GF2 just happened to be one of those days

Sure, it hurt like hell and thers no law against being frustrated and dissapointed, but we werent beaten by some side that had fluked their way into the GF

Oh and as for the OP...We are Sainters, BRING IT ***ING ON BIATCHES!!!! 8-) :twisted:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Not looking forward to this year.

It's going to be freaking hard.

For the players and supporters.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Not looking forward to this year.

Why do you say that. The only reason I can see for it being hard is coming up after 2 GF losses in a row but if you can come up after one why not 2.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He didn't say it like that. It was the way you took it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigred wrote:Not looking forward to this year.

Why do you say that. The only reason I can see for it being hard is coming up after 2 GF losses in a row but if you can come up after one why not 2.
Agree with this, I see our competitors to be weaker than last year myself, but hey we all think differently.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:Rarely does a team lose grand finals two years in a row and then wins the following year.

I'm your nerd...

The Filth did it in 1927, after losing the previous 2.

They actually ended up winning 4 in a row, after losing 2.

The Bombers did it in 1949 after losing 2, however they had won it in 46.

And the Hawks did the same thing as above in 1986, after winning it in 1983.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Rarely does a team lose grand finals two years in a row and then wins the following year.

I'm your nerd...

The Filth did it in 1927, after losing the previous 2.

They actually ended up winning 4 in a row, after losing 2.

The Bombers did it in 1949 after losing 2, however they had won it in 46.

And the Hawks did the same thing as above in 1986, after winning it in 1983.
Yes but apart from 1927, and 1949, and 1986, when did it ever happen? :D

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Things have to change....so

Ross has changed the assistant coaches,if he doesn't change the team to some degree then it will be boiled lollies again......

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

honestly if that was goddard responce then i reckon he nned to watch the first granny again ... there were many area we could improve on in GF1 in the end our second half was strong but playing catch up all day doesnt say to me that they did it all .... pleanty of room for improvment

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Purple monkey dish washer.