Riewoldt to Full Forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt to Full Forward

I dont expect much support on this campaign but I am convinced it is the time to move Riewoldt to FF. He is 28 now and FF to me requires a big mature body. Id have NR on a speed and strength focussed training program with some boxing thrown in.

I know people will say why switch an All Australian from his best position etc etc. My counter is that the st kilda footy team isnt an avenue for the glorification and all australian chances of nick riewoldt. whilst it may not be his preferred position i think he needs to just take the responsibility and play there as I think it is the optimum overall for the team.

here are my reasons:

we dont have an alternative FF - kosi is a liability at FF and should be used as our 2nd ruck with the occassional pinch hit up fwd.

stanley is too skinny and raw. FF is a grave yard for young players. It is a position that requires a tough hard strong mature body. look at the good ffs in history and today. all physically strong and mature. they often peak around 30.

stanley can play chf - i think a running stanley taking grabs up high leaving an open 50m arc behind him for nick to lead into could work as stanley can use his speed and not have to rely on muscle - he is easily pushed out of it.

riewodlt is not hurting teams enough - teams have learnt to let nick take his marks high and on wings. they then push numbers back and rebound from his kick - usually straight back over his head. when he does come towards goal they double team him. but if we can organise ourselves to have him left one-on-one in the 50 - or with a spare man in our 50 we will do more damage on the scoreboard.

responsibility - ff is a tough position. someone has to man up and play it. you get pushed and scragged and mauled. but i think its better to send a 28 yo there than a youngster.

leads - nicks super strength is his engine. he can still use it from ff if we are organised. he can do multiple leads in the 50 and tire his opponent out. the opposition will then have to have some guy in no mans land as a cut off man. this still leaves us a player free in the fwd 50. this can put serious pressure on opposition if we move the ball in quickly.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

I thought the title said Riewoldt to Full Frontal. :oops:

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
shmic_s
Club Player

I agree with you Con. :shock:

Think being our best forward he has to be played deeper and closer to goal. He will at times, still lead up to the wings and offer the get out kick. No forward plays just out of the square anymore.
Maybe this is where Gamble comes into play, he can remain in the square when Roo leads up the ground, with Gilbert and Schneider playing at half forward, and a ruckman floating back in behind.

shmic_s
Club Player

But really i'm just looking forward to seeing an improved forward half in 2011. How ever that is achieved.

I'll leave the final decisions to Ross the Boss and his team. :wink:

Bring on the NAB cup.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Reiwoldt is more important at CHF than FF.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Put one of the best CHF in the game to FF. Yeah good choice. Do we want to win a premiership or not?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i expected this response (oh but nicks so great at chf blah blah).
yes i want a flag. and if u actually read my post ud see my reasons why i think we will lose a bit at CHF but gain more as a team overall.

or we can not win a flag and all just marvel how good nick is and take comfort from that.

as good as he is - i dont think hes hurting opponents up there. opponents simply dont care if he takes 1000 marks up the field.

indeed if he such a great CHF why are we scoring so low? if not to put damage on the scoreboard what is the point of having a great chf? to run around taking marks on the wings for grandmas and kids to marvel at? or do some some damage on the scoring card?

nick to ff. kosi to 2nd ruck. if we dont move with the times we will get left behind. adapt or perish.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 20 Jan 2011 4:20pm, edited 2 times in total.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Full forward, too reliant on the players to deliver it to him and create play.

Riewoldt himself is a play maker, game breaker and game changer. That ability is best used at CHF.

Anyway, set positions are a bit outdated these days anyway. He'll rotate all around the ground during a game and inevitably have stints in the forwardline.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Is it the 80's and 90's still? Seriously why would your best player play in a position that doesnt even slightly help you win a flag? It is 2011. He plays all over the forward line.

hAyES
Club Player

Those marks and leads on the wings may look useless but it's all part of wearing down his opponent. If he went to FF he'd probably play the same sort of game anyway.

I don't care which position Nick plays, as long as I don't see Kosi in the forward line I'm happy.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:Those marks and leads on the wings may look useless but it's all part of wearing down his opponent. If he went to FF he'd probably play the same sort of game anyway.

I don't care which position Nick plays, as long as I don't see Kosi in the forward line I'm happy.
Expect to be unhappy.

hAyES
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
hAyES wrote:Those marks and leads on the wings may look useless but it's all part of wearing down his opponent. If he went to FF he'd probably play the same sort of game anyway.

Expect to be unhappy.
That is exactly what I'm expecting.

linz
Club Player

I'd play Roo wherever he wants to play (with some advice of course). He's a matchwinner similar to how Richo was with Richmond.

If he's fresh, let him run. He has the intelligence to coordinate with team needs and the coaching staff. To lock him into full forward would be welcomed by every opposition team because it would make him so much more predictable.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:I'd play Roo wherever he wants to play (with some advice of course). He's a matchwinner similar to how Richo was with Richmond.

If he's fresh, let him run. He has the intelligence to coordinate with team needs and the coaching staff. To lock him into full forward would be welcomed by every opposition team because it would make him so much more predictable.
i rest my case. how many matches did richo win at richmond? like that worked well . and im with hayes. part of the reason i started this post was a polite way in saying i dont want to see kosi in the forward line.

our forward line needs serious surgery. our backline is absolutely sensational. but or fwd line stinks. and i dont think gamble is going to be a messiah. hopefully he just gets a game and kicks a few goals.

and nick wearing down his opponent is all well and good - but they still drop 5 blokes back who take the mark from the next kick, run off and pow back over his head where gwilt, fisher and gilbo then have to perform their miracles with rebound.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

I think Gilbert, Roo and Milne alternating who is the deepest forward.

The game doesn't really work in positions anymore.

PJ
SS Life Member

Nick has proved his value as a mobile tall that can pretty much play anywhere. I don't think he'll be limited to FF as it's too 1 dimensional but I don't mind seeing him bob up around the sticks - just to freak the opposition out a little more.

Kosi at FF? Think we've gotta revisit this one - it actually doesn't do him and the team any justice. I think he could contribute way more round the ground.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:I think Gilbert, Roo and Milne alternating who is the deepest forward.

ill accept this.

linz
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
linz wrote:I'd play Roo wherever he wants to play (with some advice of course). He's a matchwinner similar to how Richo was with Richmond.

i rest my case. how many matches did richo win at richmond? like that worked well . and im with hayes. part of the reason i started this post was a polite way in saying i dont want to see kosi in the forward line.

our forward line needs serious surgery. our backline is absolutely sensational. but or fwd line stinks. and i dont think gamble is going to be a messiah. hopefully he just gets a game and kicks a few goals.

and nick wearing down his opponent is all well and good - but they still drop 5 blokes back who take the mark from the next kick, run off and pow back over his head where gwilt, fisher and gilbo then have to perform their miracles with rebound.
Rest your case or not. Richmond ONLY had Richo. We've got 10 times their depth and skill level. You don't leave your best player out of the action and make the team more predictable by parking him at full forward.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
#1GILL wrote:I think Gilbert, Roo and Milne alternating who is the deepest forward.

ill accept this.
Thread closed then

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

im happy gill. u should be coaching :lol:

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Why not? I actually think it's worth a go.

Bad management is bad management
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Roo for CHF....

Roo for FF

can't see it would matter if he played in either of those positions if he can't get near it in a grand final....

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
saintjake
Club Player

I HAVE THE SOLUTION!
we get Jack Riewoldt out of his contract and bring him over
then we have Roo at ff and Roo at chf :lol: :lol:

Saintersss
Club Player

Every offseason there is a thread about moving Roo to the wing, or to CHB and now to Full Forward. And every season he stays at CHF.

The most important position on the ground is CHF, and when you have the best CHF you don't move him around. You may not think those marks are important on the wing, but I can tell you that all the defenders think they are when they are in the back half and have no one to kick to.

And Roo again will be staying at CHF this season.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

saintjake wrote:I HAVE THE SOLUTION!
we get Jack Riewoldt out of his contract and bring him over
then we have Roo at ff and Roo at chf :lol: :lol:
Get the deal done!

Bad management is bad management