Who to cultivate as a full forward?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Roo would be wasted there. He is the best CHF going around, and they are more important than FF. Remember, Darrell Baldock would have had Plugger at CHF, but because of his asthma he did not have the necessary stamina for CHF.

For me a FF must be able to lead and mark, kick accurately, and be fairly mobile.
I cant see any stand outs as potential full forwards on our list. Cahill was recruited as one, he is in the running. I would have Lynch, Siposs, Walsh, Archer, as well under consideration.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

IMO, Goddard would be the best FF we could have, but like Roo he is more valuable elsewhere on the field.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

As you say, Goddard more important down field. We need options thast are BEst suited at full forward.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lynch, if it can all click for him?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

im not sure there is a real need for a specific full forward as such ...the game has changed to the point where that one focal point in attack is not a good option as the zones floods ect will really minimise the opertunity of the full forward .. i think the idea of haveing a strong attacking forward line with multiple options is the best way to attack ... the whole kick it long to plugga is long dead

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:im not sure there is a real need for a specific full forward as such ...the game has changed to the point where that one focal point in attack is not a good option as the zones floods ect will really minimise the opertunity of the full forward .. i think the idea of haveing a strong attacking forward line with multiple options is the best way to attack ... the whole kick it long to plugga is long dead
Exactly. Just look at 3 of the last 4 flags and who was FF.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:im not sure there is a real need for a specific full forward as such ...the game has changed to the point where that one focal point in attack is not a good option as the zones floods ect will really minimise the opertunity of the full forward .. i think the idea of haveing a strong attacking forward line with multiple options is the best way to attack ... the whole kick it long to plugga is long dead

Tis why I favour all of Roo, Gilbert and Stanley playing as mobile forward targets in 2011.

All have good pace...are very mobile and can apply defensive pressure as well as offensive pressure.

Kosi in 2010 was often run off with contempt.....good luck trying that with Stanley.

I fell out of love with Kois in 2010, for with the way the game has changed his lack of offensive pressure, and poor skills once the ball hit the ground meant that he was a real liability. In 2011, he will need to re-invent himself or fall by the wayside.

Stanley needs to up his concentration though...and not just his body mass.

Walsh is a smokie..

Add to the talls: Milne, Schneider and Gamble and you have a good blend.

Rotating through as well would be mids such as Steven, or Armo who know how to snag a goal as well as Dal.

Our rucks will drift forward on occasion to present.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Kilda
Club Player

I still reckon Goddard is the go for stints at FF. I'd rotate him between there, in the midfield and as a sweeper down back.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Ben McEvoy ? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Ben has the size, and is an accurate kick, but I for one would not call him mobile.

PJ
SS Life Member

It'll be interesting to see if Lyon is even considering Walsh for the forward line. At the moment the only 2 that have been signalled are Stanley and Gamble - perhaps not for full forward but up that area anyway.

I kinda like SainterK's idea of Lynch because he has the potential to play the position less traditionally if he has the mobility. Haven't seen enough of him to know whether he has the X factor in front of goal but worth visiting. Does anyone know how he goes over 20 metres?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Kilda wrote:I still reckon Goddard is the go for stints at FF. I'd rotate him between there, in the midfield and as a sweeper down back.
BJ will have the 007 licence to go where he likes and will play everywhere...

stkfc1
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Kilda wrote:I still reckon Goddard is the go for stints at FF. I'd rotate him between there, in the midfield and as a sweeper down back.
BJ will have the 007 licence to go where he likes and will play everywhere...
Hope he's working on his tank then.... he could do a Dane Swan and be untaggable next year. :twisted:

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Walsh is our next FF

Walsh is our next FF - he is the obvious choice! Carr & Archer a at least another season away. IMO lynch will play down back if any where. Walsh is our next FF

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Walsh is our next FF

WinnersOnly wrote:Walsh is our next FF - he is the obvious choice! Carr & Archer a at least another season away. IMO lynch will play down back if any where. Walsh is our next FF
Why is it obvious. Are you basing it on the huge amount of goals he got this year at Sandy?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Who did kick the goals at Sandy this season, apart from Sautner? Anybody know?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Just for interest, here is the Best & Fairest voting for Sandy.
Seniors Best & Fairest Results (And Nick Sautner was Leading Goalkicker again)

Shane Tregear 79
Tom Simpkin 62

James Magner 57

Chris Irving 52

David Gallagher 51

Jack Steven 39

Tommy Walsh 38

Alistair Smith 38

Tom Lynch 37

Nick Sautner 31

Ben McEvoy 23

David Armitage 21

Luke Miles 18

Rhys Stanley 16

Adam Pattison 15

Raphael Clarke 15

Brad Howard 13

Robert Eddy 12

Jarryn Geary 11

Steven Gaertner 11

Steven King 10

Ricky Ferraro 9

Paul Cahill 8

Leigh Fisher 6

Maddi Hardiman 5

Michael Lourey 3

Jarryd Lyons 3

Will Johnson 1

Daniel Archer 1

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Walsh is our next FF - he is the obvious choice! Carr & Archer a at least another season away. IMO lynch will play down back if any where. Walsh is our next FF
Why is it obvious. Are you basing it on the huge amount of goals he got this year at Sandy?
Yeah I don't understand this one, in his only season of AFL of any sort didn't Walsh play a fair bit down back? And wasn't Lynch a FF all throughout junior career? (granted Lynch played as a bit of a floater last year but still).

My knowledge of the saints list must be pretty rank as I've never heard of Carr!! Lynch is most likely to play a forward role out of those not playing already last year, Gamble will be good as he can play taller than he is. At best, we might get a few games out of Walsh this year, but I'm really not expecting much from him at all.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
in his only season of AFL of any sort didn't Walsh play a fair bit down back? .
Walsh was played down back a lot to teachhim the game as it is easier to learn with someone leading you to the ball.

He was also often played forward though.

In Ireland his position was what we would view as the key forward.

I would estimate that the Saints would be trying to develop him onto a key forward. This is not to say that he may not become a defender....but that the club will be mainly trying to get him to become an AFL forward.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

No doubt Goddard would be a sensation as full forward, but I very much doubt we'll ever see him played there regularly. Ross considers him too valuable elsewhere.

Riewoldt is obviously one of the key forwards. The other key position I would give to Gilbert at this stage as he is ready to go now (so long as he improves his kicking).

Walsh certainly has the build of a power forward and may be a smokey and Stanley also could be a chance. It will be interesting to see how they go in the pre-season.

I think Kosi's time as a key forward has come and gone. He's not mobile enough and, if the contested marks aren't sticking, struggles to make an impact. He's too easy to run off as well.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:No doubt Goddard would be a sensation as full forward, but I very much doubt we'll ever see him played there regularly. Ross considers him too valuable elsewhere.

Riewoldt is obviously one of the key forwards. The other key position I would give to Gilbert at this stage as he is ready to go now (so long as he improves his kicking).

Walsh certainly has the build of a power forward and may be a smokey and Stanley also could be a chance. It will be interesting to see how they go in the pre-season.

I think Kosi's time as a key forward has come and gone. He's not mobile enough and, if the contested marks aren't sticking, struggles to make an impact. He's too easy to run off as well.
Well if that is the case with Kosi then his time at the Saints is up. I think you will fond he will continue to play forward and be used occasionally in the ruck.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am hoping that Kosi can have a good year in 2011, injury free. But I expect that a number of players will have a go as a big forward this year, with Kosi spending a fair bit of time in the ruck, as well as forward.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I'd like to see a 3 way rotation through FF and ruck using Kosi Big Ben and Gardner when fit.

If one of those 3 is injured then Stanley should get a shot at FF - but not part of the rcuk rotation.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
GoTheTorp
Club Player

I am going for a rotation at FF, i think we may see Stanley in the spot a bit, i sure hope he puts some beef on over the pre season. We will become more reliant on the snipers, Milne and Schneider with other players running into the forward line, Gilbert, Goddard and Steven making his mark, Gamble another to think about as well. I think with the new bench rules Kosi will be mainly in the ruck.

Lets see what The Boss is up to come NAB cup, we may get a sneak preview.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Who is going to get the most games this year, a little Hungry Jack, or a Big Mac?