Draft Camp Star on Saints list

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Draft Camp Star on Saints list

With all this talk of draftees and scores and bargains and run and spread.
Can I just remind all the Saints fans that there is a draft camp star in our midst.

A super athlete who finished in the top 10 in 3 categories at the 2007 draft camp. 10th in agility, 2nd in the 30m sprint and 6th in the vertical leap.

And no its not jack steven (who couldnt manage a single top 10 performance and yet is considered a "gun" by many a saints fan).

Not only, can this guy run and jump with the best of them - he also happens to be 199cm tall. And no its not Rhys Stanley.

It seems that if we drafted someone with these credentials the forum would be alight with excitement yet when we have a guy of this talent sitting under our nose noone wants to know.

Im talking about Steven Gaertner. He seem to be the forgotten man. He might also be the man to finish kosi's career.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 23 Nov 2010 6:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

can't be that great....didn't get elevated. Go figure.

Sainter for life.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

What do I know about footy. I thought eddy was no good and he played in 2 grand finals with chronic injuries so he must be a gun. So im a rubbish judge.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Draft Camp Star on Saints list

Con Gorozidis wrote:With all this talk of draftees and scores and bargains and run and spread.
Can I just remind all the Saints fans that there is a draft camp star in our midst.

A super athlete who finished in the top 10 in 3 categories at the 2007 draft camp. 10th in agility, 2nd in the 30m sprint and 6th in the vertical leap.

And no its not jack steven (who couldnt manage a single top 10 performance and yet is considered a "gun" by many a saints fan).

Not only, can this guy run and jump with the best of them - he also happens to be 199cm tall. And no its not Rhys Stanley.

Im talking about Steven Gaertner. He seem to be the forgotten man. He might also be the man to finish kosi's career.
In defence of Jack it proves that footballers are better than athletes when playing footy. Jack will make it. Fast skilled and hard working.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:With all this talk of draftees and scores and bargains and run and spread.

In defence of Jack it proves that footballers are better than athletes when playing footy. Jack will make it. Fast skilled and hard working.
im not having a go or talking about jack. we are always talking about jack (and armo) on this forum. can we talk about someone else?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

im not having a go or talking about jack. we are always talking about jack (and armo) on this forum. can we talk about someone else?
Welles Icke?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Welles Icke?
who is he?

ok i give up. noone on here gives a toss about a super talent on our list. we need to give this bloke a chance.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
im not talking about jack. just wondering where the idea that jack is fast comes from? ive not seen a shred of evidence.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
im not talking about jack. just wondering where the idea that jack is fast comes from? ive not seen a shred of evidence.
I see it on the ground. I dont look at his running style. Tackles from behind and doesnt get caught with the ball suggests fast. Do you think Dane Swan is fast?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I see it on the ground. I dont look at his running style. Tackles from behind and doesnt get caught with the ball suggests fast. Do you think Dane Swan is fast?

yeah. dane is a little bit quick yep. runs out of tight spots regularly.
i aint seen it on the ground. might have been the OP though - so lets wait and see. and its not just style.

i still reckon gaertner is a genuine prospect. better prospect than the kos-man.

shmic_s
Club Player

I think Kosi is still a fair way in front of Gaertner.
Gaertner has shown a bit and definitely has a chance to make the grade IMO. He is still on our list, which to me suggests he has some supporters on the inside of the club.
Wouldn't be surprised if he sneaks a few games this season. But replacing Kosi, would love to eat my words, but don't see that happening this year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

i aint seen it on the ground. might have been the OP though - so lets wait and see. and its not just style.

i still reckon gaertner is a genuine prospect. better prospect than the kos-man.
Have you seen him play? As the results suggest he is an athlete trying to learn footy. I aint a Kosi fan as player but he is that far ahead of Gaetner it isnt funny. A player with 2 years at a club with no games suggest something, surely especially when comparing him to Kosi.

St Lenny
Club Player

It seems that if we drafted someone with these credentials the forum would be alight with excitement yet when we have a guy of this talent sitting under our nose noone wants to know.

Good call, there is no reason why Steven can't make the grade. I have said before the development of our younger players has not gone the way we would like, with no one really showing a lot of promise. But now we have a new development coach, I really hope that changes and good luck to Steven. Will be good to see how he goes in the NAB Cup.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Not serious surely....

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Spinner wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Not serious surely....
By saying prospect do you mean room for improvement? I liked what I saw in the NAB cup match he played last year - but with little other knowledge of him thats all I can go by.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I like Gaertner and also think he's a prospect.

Just happy to leave it at that - no need to bring in comparisons to others on our list.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I like Gaertner and also think he's a prospect.

Just happy to leave it at that - no need to bring in comparisons to others on our list.
i agree lets not let the kid become his own player

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
noob
Club Player

The best players are the ones with the footy brain not how high you can jump or how fast you are.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I thought Gaertner was more of a threat to Dawson than to Kosi. I thought he had been playing full back for Sandy.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I thought Gaertner was more of a threat to Dawson than to Kosi. I thought he had been playing full back for Sandy.
Agree bb.

He has that long limbed Dustin Fletcher look about him. He has however also spent a bit of time in the ruck.

Yes he hasn't played a game yet, but like that other tall boy Cahill, the club has obviously decided to persevere for another 12 months at least.

Scoop
Club Player

I also like Gaertner...as he does have a bit of an X factor about him.....but he does have two major flaws....which are both pretty significant....especially in the 'modern game'.....disposal by foot and decision making.......hence why he was overlooked in two National Drafts!!

As with all players on our lists, I hope he can overcome these flaws and be a significant contributer to the cause.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Huge Gaertner fan here. He's a supreme athlete who needs time to develop his football skills.

He's probably two years away from coming good enough to be a first team regular, but his potential and versatility is worth the wait.

Hope the club has the patience to make it happen. Rapt we rookied him when we did and a firm believer that he can make it.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Scoop
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:Huge Gaertner fan here. He's a supreme athlete who needs time to develop his football skills.

He's probably two years away from coming good enough to be a first team regular, but his potential and versatility is worth the wait.

Hope the club has the patience to make it happen. Rapt we rookied him when we did and a firm believer that he can make it.
I'm with you efc....hope it happens a bit earlier tho....like next year...not sure they will wait another two years!!

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Reports in the HS is that he is on the verge of leaving the club!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

ok cool plugger. lets stick with pure footy players. lets not bother with development. lets just get a team of mark mcgoughs and andrew mcqualters. awesome. cant wait for "pure saints footy". see u down the country league.