WA Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

WA Saints

I was just thinking that ST Trav WA must be happy.

Saints have gone from no WA players on the list to 8 in the space of a few years.

We now have Gardi, CJ, Ray, Winmar, Smith, Peake and 2 more WA kids (ledger and cripps). Thats half of Perth!

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Re: WA Saints

Con Gorozidis wrote:I was just thinking that ST Trav WA must be happy.

Saints have gone from no WA players on the list to 8 in the space of a few years.

We now have Gardi, CJ, Ray, Winmar, Smith, Peake and 2 more WA kids (ledger and cripps). Thats half of Perth!
Fair Go Con! Perth is bigger than that.

It's only one quarter of the population.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

i should see our recruiting bloke this week & see what info i can gather

ie strengths,weaknesses,comparable to etc etc

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

rogerwa wrote:i should see our recruiting bloke this week & see what info i can gather

ie strengths,weaknesses,comparable to etc etc
Yes indeed rog.

Any additional info you WA fans can provide would be greatly appreciated, although no doubt we'll get excited about these kids regardless :wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

oh and rogerwa of course!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
oh and rogerwa of course!
Then what about these guys :wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

anyways - my point was - without singling out individuals - that it must be heart warming for all the wa based saints fans to see so may sandgropers on the list. i think it is a long time since we had this many. if ever on a single list.

any historians care to mention of the saints have ever had more than 8 players on the senior list (adjusted for list size changes).

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:anyways - my point was - without singling out individuals - that it must be heart warming for all the wa based saints fans to see so may sandgropers on the list. i think it is a long time since we had this many. if ever on a single list.

any historians care to mention of the saints have ever had more than 8 players on the senior list (adjusted for list size changes).
Con, I'll always have a keenness for WA players for one very, very good reason :lol:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:anyways - my point was - without singling out individuals - that it must be heart warming for all the wa based saints fans to see so may sandgropers on the list. i think it is a long time since we had this many. if ever on a single list.

Con, I'll always have a keenness for WA players for one very, very good reason :lol:

georgie could play a bit....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

we have had a few at one stage or another....the two sidebottoms,,,,young, ,super doupa, reynolds....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

u had sex with john dorotich?

no just kidding. im guessing u may in fact be an ex player from WA.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

we have had a few at one stage or another....the two sidebottoms,,,,young, ,super doupa, reynolds....
8 from 40 is 20% of the list.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

u had sex with john dorotich?

no just kidding. im guessing u may in fact be an ex player from WA.
I hope that's not indicative of your guessing skills Con :wink:

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

to answer your question .... YEAH IM PROUD AS PUNCH !!!
i aslo remember the days not too long ago when we had no WA boys and Craig Callahagn was the last WA player to represent the Saints ... but we have the same ammount of wa boys as last year at the moment with the delisting of Mark Hutchings and Luke Miles ... (one less if you a. consider A Lovett a saints player and b. if you consider him a WA boy after all hes not from WA but got drafted from WA)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:to answer your question .... YEAH IM PROUD AS PUNCH !!!
i aslo remember the days not too long ago when we had no WA boys and Craig Callahagn was the last WA player to represent the Saints ... but we have the same ammount of wa boys as last year at the moment with the delisting of Mark Hutchings and Luke Miles ... (one less if you a. consider A Lovett a saints player and b. if you consider him a WA boy after all hes not from WA but got drafted from WA)
good stuff. we have 8 on the senior list so far. and a rookie draft still to come! we might get another one on.

rexy
SS Life Member

Heard or read an interesting theory somewhere that WA kids were highly regarded at the moment as the feeling is that the large grounds in Perth prepare them well for the running needed at the elite level?

Can anyone confirm that just because Subi is big, all the grounds in WA are big?

Is this a legitmate theory?

Maybe this year?
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

I'd prefer more Tasmanians in the team

Another opportunity awaits!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Heard or read an interesting theory somewhere that WA kids were highly regarded at the moment as the feeling is that the large grounds in Perth prepare them well for the running needed at the elite level?

Can anyone confirm that just because Subi is big, all the grounds in WA are big?

Could be a simple as perhaps they all grew up idolising Ben Cousins?

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

got the rundown on our 2 wa recruits today & a rookie he would love to get (cant mention name )but can mention type of player...will put something up today or tomorrow

to wet the appitite ??? how would ya like another fn lenny hayes type

sleep on that & pleasant dreams

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

rogerwa wrote:got the rundown on our 2 wa recruits today & a rookie he would love to get (cant mention name )but can mention type of player...will put something up today or tomorrow

lenny hayes type? perfect in every way? surely not.

St Michele
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
rexy wrote:Heard or read an interesting theory somewhere that WA kids were highly regarded at the moment as the feeling is that the large grounds in Perth prepare them well for the running needed at the elite level?

Could be a simple as perhaps they all grew up idolising Ben Cousins?
I hope not :-)

It is definately good to see these young WA players in the team. I know they have some really good programs here and maybe they are paying off.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
St Michele
Club Player

rogerwa wrote:got the rundown on our 2 wa recruits today & a rookie he would love to get (cant mention name )but can mention type of player...will put something up today or tomorrow

Is that who I am thinking about Rog??

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

John McIntosh would have beenthe best from WA to play for the Saints. Was'nt he runner up in the Brownlow?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:John McIntosh would have beenthe best from WA to play for the Saints. Was'nt he runner up in the Brownlow?
big call that .. Nicky Winmar wasnt too shabby :0)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think the main reason is alot of the really good kids start playing WAFL senior's so they get that head start playing against men and not just kids their own age .. as for ground size i havent been to many footy ovals out side of WA to compare the size of the ground