How did will johnstone stay on list ahead of Eddy!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint58
Club Player

How did will johnstone stay on list ahead of Eddy!!

Will johnstone while a serviceable player and a tall for sandy did not set the world on fire and was long way of senior selection.

He is 22 so is not a developing player if he was 18 maybe i could see the logic.

Yet the club delisted eddy who has played 38 games and played in 2 gf and was at the stage were he had played some good footy.

He was streets ahead of johnstone and was that ready made player that could have steped up next year like Gwilt did at the same age and amount of games.

I thought the club would have shown some faith in him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: How did will johnstone stay on list ahead of Eddy!!

saint58 wrote:Will johnstone while a serviceable player and a tall for sandy did not set the world on fire and was long way of senior selection.

He is 22 so is not a developing player if he was 18 maybe i could see the logic.

Yet the club delisted eddy who has played 38 games and played in 2 gf and was at the stage were he had played some good footy.

He was streets ahead of johnstone and was that ready made player that could have steped up next year like Gwilt did at the same age and amount of games.

It is called a contract and also he has only had one year at the club. Just a couple od things he isnt 22 and he isnt Johnstone. Apart from that you know your saints players quite well.

Having said that Eddy IMO has been treated poorly but hopefully they know what they doing.

saint58
Club Player

Re: How did will johnstone stay on list ahead of Eddy!!

plugger66 wrote:
saint58 wrote:Will johnstone while a serviceable player and a tall for sandy did not set the world on fire and was long way of senior selection.

It is called a contract and also he has only had one year at the club. Just a couple od things he isnt 22 and he isnt Johnstone. Apart from that you know your saints players quite well.

Having said that Eddy IMO has been treated poorly but hopefully they know what they doing.
Thanks for clearing that up i like the posts you put in they are allways very informative.

Will johnson born 26/10/89 so i carnt spell or get my dates right give me a break it must be my old age i guess!!!!

Solar
Saintsational Legend

ignore the troll

The real reason cahill and johnson continue on the list is size. It's bloody hard to find and develop key position players. Thus dawson is a central signing in the past week and we will continue to push to develop these two. Similar to ruckman, you have to give them longer. Plus he has only been in the system for 1 year.

Eddy on the other hand has got to a level where it seems the coaching group believes he has peaked or cannot give what is needed in a future 22.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Solar wrote:ignore the troll

The real reason cahill and johnson continue on the list is size. It's bloody hard to find and develop key position players. Thus dawson is a central signing in the past week and we will continue to push to develop these two. Similar to ruckman, you have to give them longer. Plus he has only been in the system for 1 year.

Eddy on the other hand has got to a level where it seems the coaching group believes he has peaked or cannot give what is needed in a future 22.
Totally agree, backman dont seem to peak until they are 25-26 years old, the same as ruckman.

On Eddy, he was servicable but was only really a role player. I believe he had no room for improvement and hadnt seemed to improve his skills since he begun. Was a fringe player and lucky to be in the side with injuries to other players. Doubt he'd get a game ahead of Steven, Stanley, Armo, Dempster, Baker next year anyway.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

maybe the dumping of Eddy is a signal that our game plan may change a bit from being a defensive, scrappy unit to one with a bit more flair and attack.

Dunno if the boys are capable of the above though, but Ross can re-invent the wheel, and has the proven ability to make huge changes to game style in a very short space of time.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:maybe the dumping of Eddy is a signal that our game plan may change a bit from being a defensive, scrappy unit to one with a bit more flair and attack.

Dunno if the boys are capable of the above though, but Ross can re-invent the wheel, and has the proven ability to make huge changes to game style in a very short space of time.
You could be right but the only problem is that we will only get about 10-12 weeks training before the first game. That maybe hard to change our style to much and I am unsure if we have the players to do it anyway. I think we will try to increase our scoring capacity by about 2 goals a game.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:maybe the dumping of Eddy is a signal that our game plan may change a bit from being a defensive, scrappy unit to one with a bit more flair and attack.
Thats correct we will attack and punch through the Collingwood crunch with all that speed the likes of Miles will give us next year..........oh

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
fingers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Thats correct we will attack and punch through the Collingwood crunch with all that speed the likes of Miles will give us next year..........oh
Genuinely funny :D

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:ignore the troll

Spot on Solar.

SPOT ON!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

As always, pure gold JB.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

So we're f*cked?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

10 t0 12 weeks?

try 16

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:10 t0 12 weeks?

try 16
How do work that out. Most dont return till Devember the 7th and then do 2 weeks then another 2 week break so basically training starts the 6th of January.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:10 t0 12 weeks?

try 16
The team seemed to change things around pretty quickly in the pre season of 2009.

But having said that I don't think we're looking at a total change anyway. Any changes here are likely to be more of an offensive nature, and as most players are attacking by nature, I don't think time is going to be a huge issue.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

RL hinted at the development being a different model after the GF.
With WBD being the big improvers we have to ensure that the new model is again an improvement to ensure another GF and hopefully the flag.

My tip is that Eddy will go to Steak and Kidney. Swans need to sure up some defensive roles.
LRT and TK are both finished and they've lost Malch in gaining Everitt.
They really need a small pressure defender if you look at their list.

I'm going early and I'm saying that if Sydney don't get him they'll have more holes in defense than an IRA clubhouse.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint wrote:RL hinted at the development being a different model after the GF.
With WBD being the big improvers we have to ensure that the new model is again an improvement to ensure another GF and hopefully the flag.

My tip is that Eddy will go to Steak and Kidney. Swans need to sure up some defensive roles.

I'm going early and I'm saying that if Sydney don't get him they'll have more holes in defense than an IRA clubhouse.
I'm sure Eddy would have appealed to Roos but we'll have to wait and see whether Horse wants to continue with their well known style, or whether he'll bring a new exciting and attacking game plan.

Giddy up???

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Roos and Berbs will have been in communication about the kid:

he's honest.
let me think about it.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote: Eddy on the other hand has got to a level where it seems the coaching group believes he has peaked or cannot give what is needed in a future 22.
When you talk about coaching group it is important to remember that the only survivor from the 2010 coaching group is Ross Lyon.
All the line coaches and development coaches have gone.

Maybe a few fringe players have lost coaches that were protecting them.
Also with the changes in the coaching lineup it would not be unreasonable to expect some change in role requirements.
Especially so as a result of the forward line's failure to score goals and the backmen's inability to clear the ball from defence in this year grand finals.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

ace wrote:
Solar wrote: Eddy on the other hand has got to a level where it seems the coaching group believes he has peaked or cannot give what is needed in a future 22.
When you talk about coaching group it is important to remember that the only survivor from the 2010 coaching group is Ross Lyon.

Also with the changes in the coaching lineup it would not be unreasonable to expect some change in role requirements.
Especially so as a result of the forward line's failure to score goals and the backmen's inability to clear the ball from defence in this year grand finals.
all true. ace, is ablett on drugs?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:

I'd hazard a guess that most posters who are questioning why Eddy was delisted when others weren't wouldn't have him in their best 22 in 2011. Maybe not even their best 25.

So while it was a shock, and while to some it may seem unfair, if you take the emotion out of it I can't see how it will negatively affect our flag prospects.

IMO, if Eddy had been retained, and had never been selected again, you wouldnt have heard boo :?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
ace wrote:

I'd hazard a guess that most posters who are questioning why Eddy was delisted when others weren't wouldn't have him in their best 22 in 2011. Maybe not even their best 25.

So while it was a shock, and while to some it may seem unfair, if you take the emotion out of it I can't see how it will negatively affect our flag prospects.

IMO, if Eddy had been retained, and had never been selected again, you wouldnt have heard boo :?
Agreed, whats going on, people are starting to make sense and comment with reason on here... :lol:

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Shaggy
Club Player

I would much prefer both Eddy and Miles over Johnson and Heynes.

In the second half this year Eddy showed real promise until he broke his hand, cheekbone and arm. He may not be a champion but he has elite build and endurance.

Miles last two games were really good for an AFL newbie and excited me before I knew he was a sprinter from the GF sprint.

On the other hand both Johnson and Heynes have been very average this year in the VFL IMO and I dont see what makes them elite from the rest of us.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:I would much prefer both Eddy and Miles over Johnson and Heynes.

In the second half this year Eddy showed real promise until he broke his hand, cheekbone and arm. He may not be a champion but he has elite build and endurance.

Miles last two games were really good for an AFL newbie and excited me before I knew he was a sprinter from the GF sprint.

On the other hand both Johnson and Heynes have been very average this year in the VFL IMO and I dont see what makes them elite from the rest of us.
Who is Heynes?
If you want to bag players at least get their name right.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
rexy
SS Life Member

ChicagoSaint wrote:RL hinted at the development being a different model after the GF.

Agree that we will be looking to develop a different style and therefore some list change was needed.

Dont see WBD being big improvers though?

Also Sydney traded Vespremi for Everitt, wasnt aware that Malceski was involved? Would have thought with Shaw Malceski Kennelly and Mattner that sydney would have enough HBFers?

Essendon may look at Eddy as a mature rookie or the like, they need a couple of bottom of the pack ball winners to help Jobe?

Maybe this year?