No more saints footy!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

No more saints footy!

I cringe with embarrassment everytime I hear anyone use the term "Saints Footy" What does it actually mean? To finish second? Maybe wait until we have actually won a flag or two and then it might have some credibility and substance? It is a ridiculous concept thought up by some marketing tool and it should be stopped being used by anyone to do with the St. Kilda football club immediately.

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

It wasn't particularly inspiring but "Believe Or Burn" was a far, far worse catch cry.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
snowdelisaint
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:It wasn't particularly inspiring but "Believe Or Burn" was a far, far worse catch cry.
Especially since the font used made it look like "Believe or Bum"

derby Street
Club Player

Re: No more saints footy!

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:I cringe with embarrassment everytime I hear anyone use the term "Saints Footy" What does it actually mean? To finish second? Maybe wait until we have actually won a flag or two and then it might have some credibility and substance? It is a ridiculous concept thought up by some marketing tool and it should be stopped being used by anyone to do with the St. Kilda football club immediately.
And your suggestion is ???????

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:It wasn't particularly inspiring but "Believe Or Burn" was a far, far worse catch cry.

Its not that bad :P

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Interestingly I heard it used publicly in a complimentary fashion a number of times this season.

I have no problem with it.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I thought it was "The Playing Group" and NOT some marketing tool who came up with it !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Footy that wins 39 out of 51 games...

Yeah scrap that... :roll:

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
derby Street
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:Interestingly I heard it used publicly in a complimentary fashion a number of times this season.

I have no problem with it.
I also heard it regularly used during the season - also in a favourable tone. I also heard it spoken to me after GF2 in "Well that certainly wasn't Saints Footy" :(

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:I cringe with embarrassment everytime I hear anyone use the term "Saints Footy" What does it actually mean? To finish second? Maybe wait until we have actually won a flag or two and then it might have some credibility and substance? It is a ridiculous concept thought up by some marketing tool and it should be stopped being used by anyone to do with the St. Kilda football club immediately.
Amen to that!

Couldn't agree more.

And yes maybe the players did name their brand of football 'Saints footy' but without doubt some marketing knob end got wind of it and made it into the embarrassing joke it is today.

FFS do we really need some dicky marketing slogan to get members?

Every time I hear that pox of a term I'm going to think of how I felt in the last quarter of GF2 - Saints Footy? FFS Gimme a break!!

Look again it's the Flash!!
snowdelisaint
Club Player

So, Saints footy is gone.

Welcome 2011
"Saints bubble"
??

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

couple of questions:
: will what ever the slogan ( or membership pictorial) is make any differance as too whether you re join?
: if it's being used in September and October is it then of value?

It has to be better than- what's cooking, we're coming....(so's christmas)
it's being copied which is a sign of respect
if it gets the attention of prospective new members and supporters then it's doing it's work.... especiallly when combined with a 27 round season...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

The Linton Street Flash wrote:

Every time I hear that pox of a term I'm going to think of how I felt in the last quarter of GF2 - Saints Footy FFS!!
You mean like:-

'Side by Side'
'Tell them we're coming'
etc.

In your eyes is a marketing slogan only good if you win?

Did you detest it from the beginning or only after we lost GF2?

Maybe you should go to the AGM and tell the Board that we shouldn't use any marketing slogans to try and maximize membership numbers.

Then you can go to all the businesses around Australia and explain to them why they're wasting their money in advertising their slogans.

Perhaps Coke, Pepsi, Bunnings, Woolworths, Coles etc would be really happy to hear that from you?

Maybe you can tell Jeldwen, UD, St George, PCI, Jayco there's no point them spending their sponsorship money on us. Afterall surely they're only wasting their dollars on connecting themselves to us and advertising their slogans?

Do you actually understand the point behind slogans and advertising?

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:

Every time I hear that pox of a term I'm going to think of how I felt in the last quarter of GF2 - Saints Footy FFS!!

'Side by Side'
'Tell them we're coming'
etc.

Maybe you should go to the AGM and tell the Board that we shouldn't use any marketing slogans to try and maximize membership numbers.

Then you can go to all the businesses around Australia and explain to them why they're wasting their money in advertising their slogans.

Perhaps Coke, Pepsi, Bunnings, Woolworths, Coles etc would be really happy to hear that from you?

Maybe you can tell Jeldwen, UD, St George, PCI, Jayco there's no point them spending their sponsorship money on us. Afterall surely they're only wasting their dollars on connecting themselves to us and advertising their slogans?

Marketing slogans are fine - dicky marketing slogans are not.

Saints footy is a dicky marketing slogan.

Now for dicks, dicky things are fine but for non-dicks like myself and the OP, dicky things are dicky.

You are quite obviously a dick that's why you think it's cool - get it?...
you're a dick so you like dicky things?

And YES i detested it from the start - why you say? Because it's dicky and I'm not a dick!

You're a dick Mr Magic, simple as that!

Look again it's the Flash!!
PJ
SS Life Member

but for non-dicks like myself and the OP, dicky things are dicky
I was unaware that dickies was now a sponsor or was that dickheads. Anyway can't argue with the above sounds like perfect schoolyard logic.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
derby Street
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:

'Side by Side'
'Tell them we're coming'
etc.

Marketing slogans are fine - dicky marketing slogans are not.

Saints footy is a dicky marketing slogan.

Now for dicks, dicky things are fine but for non-dicks like myself and the OP, dicky things are dicky.

You are quite obviously a dick that's why you think it's cool - get it?...
you're a dick so you like dicky things?

And YES i detested it from the start - why you say? Because it's dicky and I'm not a dick!

You're a dick Mr Magic, simple as that!

Your opinion only ........ that your NOT a dick. I suggest that it maybe very debateable and would be impossible to defend in court ! Because Mr M disagrees with your view it makes him a Dick ?? excuse - And seeing your such an expert on dicks (and seem to have a major facination with them) your thoughts on other clubs (can I please use your patented terminology?) DICKY slogans ? I also look forward to learning of your inspirational choice for the coming season,

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

When we play 4 quarters of Saints Footy.....WE WIN!

Unfortunately we didn't play 4 quarters of Saints Footy in either Grand Final and we didn't win the flag.

When we do play 4 quarters of Saints Footy in a Grand Final, we will win.

Oh and Saints Footy is also a very good Facebook page with more than 700 people already part of it...... and we do NOT personally attack or abuse fellow Saints people like Mr Magic who does an enormous amount of work in organising the player sponsorships for this Saintsational website.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Mr Magic wrote:
Actions. Not Words

Followed by

This is Saints Footy.

sends a confused message to me

Seeya
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

If the ball had bounced for Milne instead of right angles in the dying minutes of GF 1 I'm tipping that you wouldn't have a problem with Saints Footy and this post wouldn't have existed...

Sigh :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Badlands
Club Player

I didn't mind it to be honest, and from a marketing perspective - it was obviously very successful. Like any slogan of this nature, it's not going to sound quite so catchy at the end of an unsuccessful season. As St Patrick suggested, there weren't too many people potting it in the weeks leading up to GF2. Geez, what do people want next year: "They know we're fading" ?

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Maybe a slogan for a small minority of supporters like the bloke who thinks he's a non dick

'We're a bunch of sooks who really only love the club on the condition they win the flag, (but we pretend to love the club) otherwise we will slag off and pout until we finally do win one. When we do we will proclaim ourselves as life long, long suffering supporters who have stood by the club through thick and thin.'

A little bit wordy, but I couldn't think of anything more appropriate to describe 'R. Harvey 3 votes' and 'Linton Street flash' who only ever seem to post when they have something to sook and whine about.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

"Join me for the ride of your life"

That was one ride I'll never forget. :lol:

Still got the old faded t.shirt.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Stephen Theodore wrote:"Join me for the ride of your life"

That was one ride I'll never forget. :lol:

Still got the old faded t.shirt.
yep mine has a few holes in it as well
I hear that M Blight has a garage full of them if you are after a replacement

Seeya
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

sunsaint wrote:
I hear that M Blight has a garage full of them if you are after a replacement

:lol: :lol:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thought it became more about life in the bubble as the season progressed...