Roo - next year.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

taz
Club Player

Roo - next year.....

I have a sneaking suspicion that next year will Roo will be taking a different approach into the game. I suspect that the umpires have become less inclined to award free kicks to Roo because of the continued suggestion that he's been awarded soft free kicks in the past

This is not a criticism of the umpiring.

I suspect that Roo will see a great more deal of aggression from him next year to the extent that I predict he might start dishing out bit rather then simply suck it up, particularly if he is failing to get the support of the umpires.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Regardless of anyone saying we haven't got the cattle, or we're shytehouse or any other excuse, these guys almost (and I do say almost) won two flags! A bit of mongrel won't go astray next year! A bit more purpose.... And get f'n angry! In the position we're in right now, anyone who pops into another GF against us would give themselves a better than average chance of winning, and that's because not only have teams worked out how to shut us down in regards to our style of play...we're too squeaky clean! Time to get a more physical spread across our team! Lenny has shown the way! Dawson has also! We should (considering our average age) play a more physically taxing game on our opponent. Jmho

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Grand Finals are the real test of players and unfortunately, Roo let himself down in conditions which should have suited him. He got beaten in one-on-one contests, so he needs to work on that part of his game over summer, as he is not in the same league as Carey, Brown and a few other great CHFs. He now sits well behind Goddard, Hayes, Gwilt and even Zac who held their heads up when it got tough and are now our big finals players.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
he is not in the same league as Carey,
Carey's GF record is nothing outstanding either.

But yes Roo should have done more with the opportunities that he had...let alone possibly winning more.

I may be an optimist but I tend think Roo will have his best year ever next year. He was looking to have it this year, but then he got injured. And while he ended up coming back ok, it was still after a massive lay -off and so he would not have been as good as he could have been due to this.

Lyon over summer really does need to refine our our forward line works. The Pies were a wake up to us flooding out and then back by ensuring that the were goal-side of their opponents...meaning that fast break aways were harder to orchestrate. When Roo and others were on the burst their options to go to were covered most of the time.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
35...LEGEND
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
spert wrote:

But yes Roo should have done more with the opportunities that he had...let alone possibly winning more.

I may be an optimist but I tend think Roo will have his best year ever next year. He was looking to have it this year, but then he got injured. And while he ended up coming back ok, it was still after a massive lay -off and so he would not have been as good as he could have been due to this.

Lyon over summer really does need to refine our our forward line works. The Pies were a wake up to us flooding out and then back by ensuring that the were goal-side of their opponents...meaning that fast break aways were harder to orchestrate. When Roo and others were on the burst their options to go to were covered most of the time.

Too right............2 BOGs in the Brownlow in the first 2 rounds,then the injury......he was flying and set to rip the comp apart.... :(

Not spewing much either......was on at 26-1 before season start.

Will back up next year,HE IS A GUN........Go Captain.

Go Saints 2011

spert
Saintsational Legend

35...LEGEND wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
spert wrote:

Too right............2 BOGs in the Brownlow in the first 2 rounds,then the injury......he was flying and set to rip the comp apart.... :(

Not spewing much either......was on at 26-1 before season start.

Will back up next year,HE IS A GUN........Go Captain.

Go Saints 2011
Roo seemed fighting fit and in a super positive midset coming into the GFs and should have made a statement on field, but didn't. I'm sure he will work with Lyon and co to fix deficiencies in his game. I think Lyon's game plan strangled the life out of some of our attacking players.

St Lenny
Club Player

I have no doubt Roo will work very hard on his game over summer. He was in tip top condition before his injury. Worked on his goal kicking and kicked 11.1 before he did his hammy.

saintlarry
Club Player

spert wrote:Grand Finals are the real test of players and unfortunately, Roo let himself down in conditions which should have suited him. He got beaten in one-on-one contests, so he needs to work on that part of his game over summer, as he is not in the same league as Carey, Brown and a few other great CHFs. He now sits well behind Goddard, Hayes, Gwilt and even Zac who held their heads up when it got tough and are now our big finals players.
browns record in grand finals isnt too crash hot either, although he was fairly young when he played them all.
thinkign about it, a gun CHF hasnt dominated a grand final for aaaaggggeeeessss.
10 - cloke does jack
09 - mooney & riewoldt dont do a lot
08 - buddy and mooney dont do a lot
07 - Mooney does ok in a 100 point win, tredrea is ok.
05 & 06 - west coast guy does nothing, bazza was decent in 05.

and i cant be assed going back further. But i think my poitn remains valid.been ages since a chf dominated a gf, including carey, brown, tredrea, so we cant be too critical.

jroberts:)
Club Player

ROOEY for the coleman!!

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Not 100% sure all of the criticism for Roo is justified. I mean, look at the delivery to him, we were sitting it on top of his head. Or kicking it too short to him on the half volley, it was the worst display of kicking I have seen from us for years.

Then look at the fwd structures, how many times was it 2 on 4 or 5 in the fwd line, he is a champ, but he isn't superhuman!

I know he didn't play a great game, but he can do all the gut running, multiple leads, efforts etc that he likes - if the delivery is no good then its going to cut his game down a heap, I'm sure he still misses Harv's putting it lace out in front of him.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
kalsaint
Club Player

St Ick wrote:Not 100% sure all of the criticism for Roo is justified. I mean, look at the delivery to him, we were sitting it on top of his head. Or kicking it too short to him on the half volley, it was the worst display of kicking I have seen from us for years.

Then look at the fwd structures, how many times was it 2 on 4 or 5 in the fwd line, he is a champ, but he isn't superhuman!

I know he didn't play a great game, but he can do all the gut running, multiple leads, efforts etc that he likes - if the delivery is no good then its going to cut his game down a heap, I'm sure he still misses Harv's putting it lace out in front of him.
Youve hit the nail here. Delivery to Rooey many times this year has been crap. He had done well mostly due t his own tireless efforts. Our midfield needs some help next year.
Our positive clearances have fallen to an all time low. By positive, I mean those that add value not turnover to the opposition after the first disposal.
Kicking is a real problem given that we are a slow side and often dont protect the ball carrier enough.

Get off Roo's case. The bottom 6-8 need to do more, more often. We cant have these guys missing tackles or providing less than 10 tackles per game As a group (just like in teh grand final).

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Yes, the delivery to Roo in GF was crap, and I can remember plenty of other games (eg '05 prelim first half) where it was a similar story. Roo working tirelessly, then getting a horrible delivery. Also, there are too many times when the opposition will be so roo conscious that they leave other players free, yet we still bomb it on his head. We've got to be smarter than this. When Roo did his hammy, we played smart to win the games and bank the points. Then when he comes back, its like the team thinks "okay, we don't need to think about it anymore, just bomb it to roo."

Also, I agree with the concept of getting the mongrel back in us. Imagine this team with Gehrig and Hamill in it, just that element of brutality, not so polished and precise all the time, but just getting the job done by any means necesaary. It's kind of surprising, really, because Ross looks like the sort of bloke who likes a good fight...

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."