(Lack of) list mamagement

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bono
Club Player

(Lack of) list mamagement

We have a CHF on about $600k for the next two years, who, in the current market probably has zero currency.

Then North give up pick 86 for Ben McKinley - a kid from the Knights who is 22, played 46 matches and kicked 89 goals. He would walk into our forwardline.

Given Matthew Drain walked out, do we really have any idea what we are doing? How many other clubs have their CEO represent them at trade week?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I personally wouldn't be too concerned, not sure there is alot out there on offer...a bit like going to the Myer sales and buying crap because it's on 'sale'.

I think we can have enough on our list plus whoever the additions are from this year's draft to work with and improve on, in conjunction with a reassessment of our game plan / style.

A little faith & luck is what's needed, as I said in another post, no point throwing all the toys out of the cot and replacing them with hand me downs or broken ones.

In Ross I trust...amen.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

If McKinnly was any good at all he'd for one get a game at West Coast and two be more value than a pick that wont be used.

Get over the hysterical must get everyone rants.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: as I said in another post, no point throwing all the toys out of the cot and replacing them with hand me downs or broken ones.

In Ross I trust...amen.
So why did we pick up Smith, Patterson and Lovett last year???

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Ghost Like wrote: as I said in another post, no point throwing all the toys out of the cot and replacing them with hand me downs or broken ones.

In Ross I trust...amen.
Had to get Lovett you could argue that we would of won GF1 if the DH had of played. Pattison didnt play to bad when he played and I was happy to take a punt with Smith.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

McKinley couldn't get a game at a club playing the worst footy I've seen since, well, US, circa 1999.

Says something doesn't it?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:McKinley couldn't get a game at a club playing the worst footy I've seen since, well, US, circa 1999.

Says something doesn't it?
What com do the US play in. Surely that international footy isnt that bad.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:

In Ross I trust...amen.
Seems to me they were for specific reasons, I'm not sure but Lovett for his speed & finishing...something we sadly lacked in both GFs. Pattison as a back up because they were not sure how Gardi & King would hold up, leaving a very green Stanley & a slightly less green McEvoy. Smith I imagine with what we perceived to be left was worth the punt if our medicos could do the job...unfortunately they could not perform a miracle.

The basis of my argument is that we don't need to trade for the sake of trading unless there is someone there who can genuinely add to our list...we do have a few deficiencies, exposed in the GF but not sure there has been anyone thrown up that could help us there or that we could afford.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

In Ross I trust...amen.
Seems to me they were for specific reasons, I'm not sure but Lovett for his speed & finishing...something we sadly lacked in both GFs. Pattison as a back up because they were not sure how Gardi & King would hold up, leaving a very green Stanley & a slightly less green McEvoy. Smith I imagine with what we perceived to be left was worth the punt if our medicos could do the job...unfortunately they could not perform a miracle.

The basis of my argument is that we don't need to trade for the sake of trading unless there is someone there who can genuinely add to our list...we do have a few deficiencies, exposed in the GF but not sure there has been anyone thrown up that could help us there or that we could afford.
Agree. From the 2 GF's it is obviously we lack fast running midfielder, a ruckman who can get around the ground and tall marking forward, none of which have come up for trade so far. We dont lack 20-30 type footballers. We have plenty of them.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

In Ross I trust...amen.

Yes, I agree with you. Of the players that we know of that have been traded or are up for trade (with the exception of Ablett) who would you add to our team? None of them if we are completely honest with ourselves.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Re: (Lack of) list mamagement

Bono wrote:Given Matthew Drain walked out, do we really have any idea what we are doing? How many other clubs have their CEO represent them at trade week?
With all due respect I think you are being more than just a little unfair on Michael Nettlefold. He was a pretty good footballer in his own right at St Kilda and has extensive knowledge and experience in all aspects of running a football club.

I know Matthew Drain has extensive sports management experience too, but can somebody tell me if he has ever actually played the game at AFL level?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bono wrote:
Then North give up pick 86 for Ben McKinley - a kid from the Knights who is 22, played 46 matches and kicked 89 goals. He would walk into our forwardline.
I think that the lateness of the pick confirms that there is an injury cloud over this guy. plus an attitude problem.

Also for those that believe that Kosi hasa problem with his defensive side...this guy is similar. Has been a purely offensive player.

The days of players like Medhurst are numbered.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 09 Oct 2010 2:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
Bono wrote:Given Matthew Drain walked out, do we really have any idea what we are doing? How many other clubs have their CEO represent them at trade week?
With all due respect I think you are being more than just a little unfair on Michael Nettlefold. He was a pretty good footballer in his own right at St Kilda and has extensive knowledge and experience in all aspects of running a football club.

I know Matthew Drain has extensive sports management experience too, but can somebody tell me if he has ever actually played the game at AFL level?
he played district cricket in the 90's.

does anyone know where he has gone and why he walked?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I would like to see proof of the 600k.....

Absolute horse apples.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
kalsaint
Club Player

If North got McKinley for pick 84 they have done really well.

This guys is better than most of the comments above and in my opinion would rate equally or better than our bottom 6-8 players in the final's sides of 2010. He is reasonably young, takes a good mark and can spread well at times to be of advantage forward or back.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

bigred wrote:I would like to see proof of the 600k.....

Absolute horse apples.
Likewise. And in no way, is Kosi a CHF. I think the OP has forgotten about Roo.

The Saints are coming!
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Bono wrote:We have a CHF on about $600k for the next two years, who, in the current market probably has zero currency.

Given Matthew Drain walked out, do we really have any idea what we are doing? How many other clubs have their CEO represent them at trade week?
he took a pay reduction and is on alot less then that.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:If North got McKinley for pick 84 they have done really well.

This guys is better than most of the comments above and in my opinion would rate equally or better than our bottom 6-8 players in the final's sides of 2010. He is reasonably young, takes a good mark and can spread well at times to be of advantage forward or back.
He can't crack it for a game in the worst side to take the field in a decade!

He must be ripping it up in the WAFL...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'