New rules for next year - from chaos...more chaos

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mordi
Club Player

New rules for next year - from chaos...more chaos

The interchange/sub rule is OK...I think

How the hell is the advantage going to work...the umpire says freekick...everyone stops, and if an attacker has it, he can run-off ??

And the bump rule ...just more opportunity for the MRP to c**k-up..

The AFL will introduce three new rules next season, with an alteration to the interchange system the most notable change.

Teams will now have a bench comprised of three interchange players and a substitute player.

The substitute player can come on at any time but the player who he replaces cannot return to the field.

AFL general manager of football operations Adrian Anderson said the rule was introduced to restrict congestion, limit the amount of player impact injuries and also increase the fairness of the game.

The advantage rule has also been changed, with the player and not the umpire now to decide if there is an advantage to a team in playing on after a free kick.

The rule surrounding the bump has also been amended, with players now to be held liable for any forceful contact to the head unless there was no other way to contest the ball or the contact was beyond the control of the bumping player.

source:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... 163ls.html

What's the Point of it All?
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

I like the play-on advantage rule.

A lot of the time there is a clear advantage and the umpire calls it back, and other times players just kick it hoping for the best and then they get another chance.

Let the players play and have less umpire interference I say!

They walk amongst us...

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

I don't understand why they would cut an interchange player and make it a substitute. Stupid decision if you ask me!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
mordi
Club Player

HSVKing wrote:I like the play-on advantage rule.

A lot of the time there is a clear advantage and the umpire calls it back, and other times players just kick it hoping for the best and then they get another chance.

Let the players play and have less umpire interference I say!
HSVKing, agree, but it the non-clear ones that wil cause confusion. The root cause is that our umpires blow the whistle, hence indicating free. Players are taught to stop...if only they could introduce true "advantage" as in soccer.....ie, umpire waves play on , no whistle...

What's the Point of it All?
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

As if the substitute rule won't be taken advantage of..

If the AFL think it will be used only to replace an injured player, they are kidding themselves.

Every single game the sub will get used.

saintsareprettygoodhey
Club Player

Sounds like advantage works a lot like Rugby Union (Trinations etc. not sure of its proper name).

Hopefully the advantage doesn't go as long as it does in that code, as I don't think that would suit the game. But it's a fairly good implementation if used correctly IMO

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:As if the substitute rule won't be taken advantage of..

If the AFL think it will be used only to replace an injured player, they are kidding themselves.

Every single game the sub will get used.
YOu don't need to be injured to be 'substituted'.
ANy player can be 'susbstituted' for wahtever reason teh Coach wnats.
He just cannot come back on the ground.

All the teams will figure out how to use a player for 50-60% of the game time and then substitute him with a fresh player who's only supposed to play 40-60% of the time.