STKFC Culture

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

[SuB]
Club Player

STKFC Culture

Hindsight's a beautiful thing, isn't it? :)

On reflection this year I've been hoping the will of our players would compensate for clear deficiencies and lackluster performances throughout the year. Above all else I guess I hoped against hope that determination would overpower the inconsistency we seem to exude.

We essentially drew with Collingwood by the imbalance of our grand final experience and catching them off-guard with the spirit and determination of a few, but I couldn't help watching the last few minutes of GF1 thinking how we should have stolen a 1 point win with a grubbed kick to our posts as it was locked in our F50. But in the cold light of day, we really would have done just that - stolen it. The comprehensive ass-whipping we received on Saturday attests to that.

You just get the sense that there is something deeply ingrained in the culture of the St Kilda Football Club that doesn't quite ever believe it's going to be good enough. Even from our inspiring leaders, there's no ownership of the outcome, and it's always tempered by wanting to save face if called to account on their statement of intent.

As much as it s***s you, you have to admire the ruthless focus Collingwood declared on the premiership this year. It's a confidence to back yourself that you'd find quite odd from the Saints I think.

Ever the underdog, burdened by our immensely unsuccessful past - it cut's, doesn't it? :)

So I pose the question - how could we go about changing our culture? Or will we only ever start this process by exorcising our demons and getting a GF over the line? Or is it simply who we are and there's too much inertia to now change things?

I realised today by getting so involved in the achievement of the ultimate outcome you lose sight of all the good times one has in the journey, and to forget those entirely would be an injustice to enjoying those small moments that are still, ultimately, worthwhile. Not the ecstasy we all hope to feel one day, but nonetheless not without merit.

Cheer up fellow Sainters, if you dare - it may never happen for us, but I've no doubt we can find a way to enjoy the ride regardless. By and large we seem pretty good at that, and while you don't want to hold your hat on being perpetually second rate, it's nice to take a deep breathe and for a moment think of everything that has brought you joy over so many years regardless :)

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Surely winning the premiership would encapsulate the good times. It would be closure on the good times because you can't be s*** for the whole year and then expect to win the premiership. Premierships and the ride go hand in hand!

Another opportunity awaits!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: STKFC Culture

[SuB] wrote:So I pose the question - how could we go about changing our culture? Or will we only ever start this process by exorcising our demons and getting a GF over the line? Or is it simply who we are and there's too much inertia to now change things?
The culture within the club is actually very good at the moment. Professional, striving for success, always asking questions- about as good as it's ever been.

The supporters culture is what you're really talking about.

It will only change with success, because ultimately it is all between the ears and when you've been hurt a lot before you're always going to more sceptical and have the 'loser's' mentality.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
[SuB]
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:The supporters culture is what you're really talking about.
True that actually.

But I suppose I'm thinking more along the lines of another post here, and the ruthless "killer instinct".

But maybe that feeds back into the supporters culture? We're a very "polite" club :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of that after witnessing some of the garbage from Collingwood supporters on the weekend, but does the sometimes obvious meekness of Saints fans rub off on the club?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

[SuB] wrote: Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of that after witnessing some of the garbage from Collingwood supporters on the weekend, but does the sometimes obvious meekness of Saints fans rub off on the club?
Only as much as that few of the current players have tasted premiership success, and that many of our club's staff are diehard Saints fans who try as they might can never get rid of the supporters' culture that lies within them.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Beej
Saintsational Legend

An incredibly successful 5-10 year period would be a start.

A winning culture can only be built through sustained success over a long period of time.

Collingwood are the biggest club in Australia on the back of what they achieved between 1900 and 1950.

We'll probably never see it in our time but for future generations to view us alongside the likes of Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton, we better get a wriggle on now.

North Melbourne were probably the most successful club of the 90s and they weren't able to reap much from that.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Our time will come, I have no doubt about that!

Bad management is bad management