Hughton's Importance

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

westy
Club Player

Hughton's Importance

How important was Max for the filth's success and did he enjoy that success?

I'm livin' in a madhouse
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sadly...a big part.

Their two big defenders were all Max...

And he and Ball would have provided all the IP on our gameplan and Press which would have helped the Pies out Saints the Saints at it.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintkid
Club Player

He enjoys the $$$$$$. Helps fund Maxton Constructions. Good luck to him. Footy is ultimately a business to most of these guys now. That's what's important to him at the end of the day.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

None. He wanted Presti to play. Too bad he pulled up sore ten days ago.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote:He enjoys the $$$$$$. Helps fund Maxton Constructions. Good luck to him. Footy is ultimately a business to most of these guys now. That's what's important to him at the end of the day.
I reckon that's pretty rough mate. Maxy is employed to do a job. Did the saints offer him a job? Should the blues be filthy on S.O.S. b/c he's in charge of the best defensive unit in the game? What are blokes supposed to do when they retire, refuse to be an assistant coach at any other club?

WE lost the game b/c we weren't good enough. Maxy showed that he can coach as well, as Brown and Reid are going to be good defenders who have both improved out of sight this year under Max's tutelege. Is it that hard to accept we weren't good enough today, or do we have to turn on everyone?

saintkid
Club Player

Moods wrote:
saintkid wrote:He enjoys the $$$$$$. Helps fund Maxton Constructions. Good luck to him. Footy is ultimately a business to most of these guys now. That's what's important to him at the end of the day.
I reckon that's pretty rough mate. Maxy is employed to do a job. Did the saints offer him a job? Should the blues be filthy on S.O.S. b/c he's in charge of the best defensive unit in the game? What are blokes supposed to do when they retire, refuse to be an assistant coach at any other club?

WE lost the game b/c we weren't good enough. Maxy showed that he can coach as well, as Brown and Reid are going to be good defenders who have both improved out of sight this year under Max's tutelege. Is it that hard to accept we weren't good enough today, or do we have to turn on everyone?
Moods, I certainly am not filthy with him, we love the guy. He and many other footballers are now used to a very high income lifestyle and they need to maintain it. Has nothing to do with Maxy, the problem is we (the vast number of average income masses) have given them a much more superior lifestyle to what the players had 10-15 years ago and they will do whatever it takes to feed that lifestyle, regardless of who comes to the party, once they retire. In Max's case, I think the decision by him to go to the Filth was a bit easier after his "snubbing" by Lyon after he was dropped in the Round 20 game against Essendon in 2009. He aslo dropped Bally after that game and unlike Mick Malthouse this year, you DON'T muck up club stalwarts like that 2 weeks from the finals.
Last edited by saintkid on Sun 03 Oct 2010 1:15pm, edited 2 times in total.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

**** traitor

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

saintkid wrote:
Moods wrote:

Moods, I certainly am not filthy with him, we love the guy. He and many other footballers are now used to a very high income lifestyle and they need to maintain it. Has nothing to do with Maxy, the problem is we (the vast number of average income masses) have given them a much more superior lifestyle to what the players had 10-15 years ago and they will do whatever it takes to feed that lihestyle, regardless of who comes to the party, once they retire.
Sorry mate that is such a sad,cold clinical way of looking at it. I thought about this exact subject with Max after the game as well and what your Implying is that emotion of all the history and bleeding for the club that was his family for all those years means little now he goes straight to another club to do a bit of coaching for 12 months.

It could be possible but I would be proud of him and hope for his concience and character deep down inside he feels a bit sick in the stomach as we all do.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I still feel we let Max down last year. He should have played in the finals. And we could have offered him a part time coaching role, and he would be ready to take over from Silvani now.

saintkid
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:I still feel we let Max down last year. He should have played in the finals. And we could have offered him a part time coaching role, and he would be ready to take over from Silvani now.
I feel this way too as in my added comment to my post about Lyon "snubbing" him after the Round 20 loss to Essendon. Lyon did that to Ball too in the same round and I think he shot himself in the foot ultimately by his decisions from a team perspective leading into the 2009 Finals.

georgie girl
Club Player

Max, like Harves would have found it too hard to coach at the club the year after he had finished playing there.
Harves is now back where he belongs and hopefully one day we will get Max back too! He was a great clubman and deserves a little respect!