GAME PLAN REVIEW REQUIRED

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

oh when
Club Player

GAME PLAN REVIEW REQUIRED

I've followed St Kilda for 43 years, in years gone by the crap we had to deal with over the year would have seen the Club implode, this did not happen which is a sign of strength of the Club and how the Club has changed.

We are a good football team our position on the ladder for the last two years says so and even back to 2004, so, how do we take the next step.

In the last 2 gfs our game plan has let us down. The same old predictable forward line which I could even coach against. Eventually any backline will collapse if there is no scoreboard pressure.

The football review for the year must include the game plan - the coach's plan must come under scrutiny.

We need to be able to kick at least 15 goals on a regular basis in games.

All players on the forward line must become greedy enough to want to kick a goal - not pass it to Roo all the time - as the last 2 gfs have proved it will never win us a gf.

What I'm saying is Ross needs to come up with an attacking game plan for a more productive forward structure.

A lot of things have changed in football, sometimes complicated by coaches, but a good goal kicking forward line is fundamental to winning a gf.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely right, we barely kicked more than 100 points all year.
You could count the occasions on one hand. We need more targets so that teams can't afford to double up on Roo.
The one thing in Kosi's defence is that he is a very good pack mark.
he has the ability to crash packs, so for me we need to have the three or four options.
2-3 leading players who will spread the defence, or the big ball into the goalsquare for kosi to have a crack at, plus with one of our small forwards to swoop on the ball if he doesn't mark.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
noob
Club Player

Back in 2004 we had forwards like Brent Guerra, Fraser Gehrig, Aaron Hamill that arnt in the team today. Aaron Hamill would be AMAZING in today's environment when at his peak.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

We could easily have had Jack Riewoldt, but Bevo and whoever he spoke to (Bundy? Archie Fraser? Not Ross, he hadn't started) went for Armo instead.

Alas....

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
wallbanger
Club Player

I agree. Having the coach actually have a plan to expose our strength (which is clearly Roo - a forward like few other teams possess) would be nice for a change.

Yesterday was a clear example. It is as if Ross just gives up and says "Roo is good enough, I'll just let him beat 2 opponents". Don't put players the calibre of MacQualter and Eddy onto Maxwell - they aren't smart or good enough to do anything to curb his influence or drag him away from Roo, and shouldn't even be in the 22. It didn't work in the first half last week, why do it again this week? Put a clever player there and devise a plan to expose the Collingwood defenders one on one - don't just give up and hope to play through it, that is playing right into their hands.

I thought Ross had a terrible day yesterday - in fairness, one of the few since he has been at the helm, but nevertheless was completely outcoached, as much as I hate to say it.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)