1 more year window

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

1 more year window

As disappointed as i am i think i am more worried that we may only have 1 more year in the window available.

Lets not throw the baby out with the bath water as we are in the zone but a few things which need to occur for StKilda to remain in the window.

1. Kosi do the conditioning work required to be a ruckman. You do not trade this size unless adequeate compensation which i do not htnk is there.

2.Steven, Armitage(if still here), Miles, Stanley , Lynch Heyne, Walsh Geary must take spots off Eddy (Gutsyto play with broken arm), Peake, McQualter, .Collingwood got youngsters to step up this year we need the same.

3. Develop, trade for an Okeefe type or teach Gilbert to kick and play him as a 6ft 3 half forward third option.

Love our defence in the finals, Gwilt was great and Zac also . Blake is underrated and Baker is solid.

would be quite happy if our line up next Grand final was

B:Miles, Dawson, Blake
HB: Gwilt, Fisher, Clarke
C: Monty, Hayes, Ray
HF: Scnieder, roo, gilbert
F: Milne, Stanley Steven
Foll: Kosi, Goddard Dal
Int: McEvoy, Baker,Geary , Armitage

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

If we couldnt win this year with the experience and the burn from last years lost i doubt whether we will win next year.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The window has slammed shut. We need to go back a couple of steps to challenge again in a couple of years.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: 1 more year window

older saint wrote:As disappointed as i am i think i am more worried that we may only have 1 more year in the window available.

Lets not throw the baby out with the bath water as we are in the zone but a few things which need to occur for StKilda to remain in the window.

1. Kosi do the conditioning work required to be a ruckman. You do not trade this size unless adequeate compensation which i do not htnk is there.

2.Steven, Armitage(if still here), Miles, Stanley , Lynch Heyne, Walsh Geary must take spots off Eddy (Gutsyto play with broken arm), Peake, McQualter, .Collingwood got youngsters to step up this year we need the same.

3. Develop, trade for an Okeefe type or teach Gilbert to kick and play him as a 6ft 3 half forward third option.

Love our defence in the finals, Gwilt was great and Zac also . Blake is underrated and Baker is solid.

That side is toooooooooo much like the side that has failed to win 3 times..

not ENOUGH changes for mine...

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Zippy
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:
older saint wrote:As disappointed as i am i think i am more worried that we may only have 1 more year in the window available.

Considering last week was a tie, and last year would have been a win with slightly better kicking, we don't actually need a lot of changes.

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Zippy wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

Considering last week was a tie, and last year would have been a win with slightly better kicking, we don't actually need a lot of changes.
Is that right :roll:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:The window has slammed shut. We need to go back a couple of steps to challenge again in a couple of years.
It's so hard to know that for sure.

We were so close last week so we can't be THAT far off.

For mine I think the challenge is just as much mental as it is physical.

I am afraid you are right though.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
sRaf
Club Player

I heard the same saying back in... 08 was it? That window of opportunity is only slammed shut once our players start losing that self belief, since our ability certainly isn't lacking. Yes we got humiliated today, but last week (and all year) our team stood up to all the nay-sayers and delivered a near victory. We did so too in 2009. We've just fallen short twice, which means that we're close. In no way is that a consolation, but it certainly shows that we are among the best.

Taking a few steps back, rebuilding over the summer and utilizing our young stars is the way to go. Collingwood did so this year and look how it worked out for them. We do need to rebuild our team and refine our gameplan and regain that intensity which drove us in 2009. How many times did we dominate in 2009? How many times did we just scrape over the line in 2010? We need that intensity to drive that consistency through all four quarters. We sometimes play brilliantly, while at other times we rival the Eagles. It's like Melbourne weather.

We refine our game plan by rebuilding our weakest area: the forward line. It's just not working. One man cannot carry the burden of a team on his shoulders. Roo having two, three and four on him is hurting us by not only restricting our scoring, but by allowing those players to counter attack once it's in their hands. He needs support or else it's going to be the same every single time.

Stanley's time to shine. Play him. Who cares if he under performs for half a season. He is going to always struggle at the start, but that start has to be sooner rather then later. He'll attract attention eventually, relieving slight pressure off Roo. His forward pressure is also underrated. He is a vital part moving forward and it needs to begin next season.

About Kosi: he needs speed and agility. He seems to be getting bigger every preseason and it looks like it's at the expense of his mobility. Lose some weight, run the laps and I'd say he'll improve quite a bit. His second efforts are non-existent because he just cannot run.

Well s*** I bragged on a bit so I'll just finish off with this: Consistency is the key. Scoring is the remedy.

(has a nice ring to it, ey?)

MikeSheahan
Club Player

older saint wrote: would be quite happy if our line up next Grand final was

Next grand final line up are still not born

noob
Club Player

Recruit guys that around 20 who are already to play afl.. not wimpy kids who need to develop for 5-6 years to become good. Oh btw no wonder we get no improvement from the younger generation is because the kids are too used to being played in vfl.. Gilbert barely played in the vfl and look whats happened to him.