Clearances, did we get any?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Tom_Aus
Club Player

Clearances, did we get any?

Does anyone have the stats on center square clearances, i swear i can remember maybe 1 or 2 for the whole game. I've never seen us get smashed so badly in the middle than we did today

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

We got a few, but they were weak kicks forward which generally ended up in the hands of a Collingwood player who was in front of his man.

philtee
Club Player

Agree, it was a flogging in the centre. If the Saints did get it, it was a kick under pressure to the opposition,
or to a contest. I would have loved to see McEvoy or Koschitzke smash the ball forward at least once, or at least
run through Jolly (Jolly FFS) with a big hip and shoulder, and show him that he had a physical contest on his hands.
Kept trying for the subtle tap, and by quarter time it was obvious that wasn't working.

LaUrEnCe
Club Player

44 to 25

kalsaint
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:We got a few, but they were weak kicks forward which generally ended up in the hands of a Collingwood player who was in front of his man.
This fact is the singlemost important difference between 2010 and 2009.

The difference is having an extra inside player who protects others close by to enable quality clearances that becme effective forward moves. Those who performed admirably last year in this aspect have gone missing many times this year and of course Luke Ball was a clear winner here for the Saints in 2009 that others haven't been able to match in 2010.

This year we have been plagued by turnovers from clearances ensuring we allow opposition pressure to the ball carrier. This ultimately causes poor kicking efficiency to our forwards.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

We should go all out to get another inside mid.

Prismall?
Anyone from an interstate club who wants to go home?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
lefty
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:We should go all out to get another inside mid.

Prismall?
Anyone from an interstate club who want to go home?
Why would we want Prismall when we have Armatige who is imo much better and younger?

The midfield was the reason we lost the game today, no doubt about it.

I said it last week that we were lucky, as we didn't win the centre bounce/clearance's....

Jones was useless, Ray and Peake were horrible, the only one who tried was Lenny... and he got instantly tackled by other Collingwood players because our guys didn't even put blocks or shepards on nor win the ball.

The most useless though, imo was Gram. Followed by Eddy who did nothing to stop Maxwell if that's the reason he was brought into the team for.

Only ones to hold their held up high, Goddard, Gwilt, Lenny.