The lineup before the game (great moment)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

clintonm

The lineup before the game (great moment)

Last Saturday, before the anthem, it was the first time I think I have seen the players arm in arm in a line. It was great, I have seen that for soooo long. In think 97' they did the same?

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

Yeah, they definately did it in '97, which, I'm pretty sure, was the first time an AFL club had done so.

I think Coll. did it on the weekend too didn't they?

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
sainta
Club Player

In 1997 before the game Bruce pointed out that maybe 2-3 teams had done the arm links before and LOST each Grand Final! When we did it on Saturday I said to my friend, "damn we've lost now, that's a jinx!", then Collingwood did it too and I joked it would be a draw!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Just don't bring out that thing they did in 97 that looked like Eirene Cara doing Flashdance. At best it made the opposition chuckle so much they couldn't concentrate for a quarter.

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

gringo wrote:Just don't bring out that thing they did in 97 that looked like Eirene Cara doing Flashdance. At best it made the opposition chuckle so much they couldn't concentrate for a quarter.
Are you talking about the ridiculous "modern warrior" haka thing that Stan alves had them doing at the final training session on the Thursday?

I had seen the same thing on an episode of 'Neighbours' a few months previous when some of the Ramsey street men went on a male 'find your inner warrior' weekend hosted by the brilliant Vince Gill.

I thought it was hilarious on 'Neighbours' but almost died when i saw Stan force the players to don 'Spida-esque' headbands and replicate it infront of the press at Moorabbin - I still believe it was the moment we lost the plot and the game. It made the front page the Age the next morning - massive cringe!

Perhaps the most embarrassing thing I have ever seen a football team do (on a football ground anyway).

Anyone remember it?

Look again it's the Flash!!
saintkellerm
Club Player

Yes I remember that...i thought what the hell...I think he was trying to relax the players and make it fun for the crowd. I haven't been back to training after that especially a grand final....i didn't want to jinx them. Stan Stan Stan...leave that to the All Blacks please...