Would extra money for players go in salary cap?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Would extra money for players go in salary cap?

I see some of the players are asking for more money for the second Grand Final.I was wondering about this.It's a game which wasn't scheduled when they plan out the salary cap. Would it have to be included in the total player payments for the year. I'd expect it would, but wouldn't that cause trouble if a team was close to the salary cap?

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
awesome_days
Club Player

There should be a $1m bonus to each club plus $50k for each player - it really is an overtime payment!

If the AFL takes $10m profit out of the day surely the players, who most of the emotional & physical toll has been on, should be handsomely rewarded.

Every major sponsor (AFL, MCC, betting agencies, 7 etc) is happy money-wise, except for the many who cant afford to go to a second game.

Give the players a substantial bonus.

saint3d
Club Player

They couldn't include it in the salary cap.

To compare it to a regular salary it would be considered overtime, thus outside the cap.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

I've read where the players get more money for this week and it is excluded from the salary cap. I hope the club and not just the players get lots of dosh. We need it!

Also all expenses for club, players and employees are covered, including cancelled travel plans.

Everything outside the cap.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

surely a player wouldn’t be asking for extra to play this week?

there would be millions of kids out there that would kill to have the chance to play AFL, or in the afl finals, even the Grand Final, but to create history and play the granny 2 weeks in a row, that should be an honour, i don’t think they need extra for it.

that’s just my opinion.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
goods
Club Player

1. The collective bargaining agreement states players are entitled to a third of the league's profits above the forecast.

2. Its driven by the players association not directly by the players.

3. Dimwit would also be entitled to a bonus hence is reluctance to change the rule.

saint3d
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:surely a player wouldn’t be asking for extra to play this week?

there would be millions of kids out there that would kill to have the chance to play AFL, or in the afl finals, even the Grand Final, but to create history and play the granny 2 weeks in a row, that should be an honour, i don’t think they need extra for it.

that’s just my opinion.
Players will play no matter what. It's a Grand Final. They would have played for free last week too.

Dollars has nothing to do with that.

awesome_days
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:surely a player wouldn’t be asking for extra to play this week?

that’s just my opinion.
its not that the players wouldnt play for free, it is that they have (inadvertantly) created an extra 10m profit for the AFL and want some reward

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

goods wrote:1. The collective bargaining agreement states players are entitled to a third of the league's profits above the forecast.

2. Its driven by the players association not directly by the players.

3. Dimwit would also be entitled to a bonus hence is reluctance to change the rule.
Demetriou has already asked the commission not to include the attendance from GF2 in his "attendance figures" bonus.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I believe that there is a 'finals allowance' regarding player payments during finals.

This is not included in the base TPP (salary cap).