sports psychology

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jmac101
Club Player

sports psychology

the program 'hack' on triple j just had a really good fifteen minute segment on sport psychology and the grand final replay. would be worth downloading the podcast later on tonight. i'm pretty sure it is on itunes.

as i was listening i couldn't help but feel that our guys have to have the advantage. given how shattered the guys were after last year i imagine that they have contacts with their own sports psychologists or have at least learnt the coping mechanisms and are better prepared to deal with whatever disappointment they may be feeling given the short turnaround to next week.

dont think the younger collingwood players would be as good at dealing with that kind of stuff given the short space of time.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

A mate of mine is really into sports psych, believes the replay is heavily weighted in our advantage, due to the fact that Collingwood have effectively lost what they were supposed to win. Add to this that they trotted out their 'A' game, but it wasn't enough to stop a 24 point comeback.

He also believes we are more intimidating.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

I feel f****** fantastic now, i hope the saints players feel it also.

A chance to grind our opponents into the bones of the earth!

A chance to fix that shocking start, to nullify swan again, to nullify Thomas.

Exciting times. Fire up.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Promising stuff. I too, believe we have the advantage. We handled everything they threw at us, kept the margin to a manageable level (just), and came home with a wet sail and could (perhaps should) have pinched it. I was also very encouraged with the body language of our players after the game - the way Roo grabbed them together and had some words to them was a complete contrast to the way the Pies players just sunk to the ground and buried their heads in their hands.

The Saints are coming!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:I feel f****** fantastic now, i hope the saints players feel it also.
I didn't like Greg Hutchison's comments that the players felt they "...didn't get the result they deserved" though. I'd hate to think a sense of entitlement had replaced the desire to smash the Pies into the turf once and for all.

python
Club Player

I think we have an advantage also, all the drama of this year, right now it going to be handy preparation. Thankfully Ross had the visions and foresight to install the 'bubble' when he did.

jmac101
Club Player

interesting that both on the couch and OWAAT both have collingwood players on tonight (jolly and leigh brown), whilst our only rep is ross lyon on OWAAT.

one thing the sports psychologist said on the radio was that it was best to clear your head and recover mentally for the first few days of the week. quite happy that these tv shows aren't drilling our boys and asking questions about the game this early in the week when they are trying to recharge mentally.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

jmac101 wrote:interesting that both on the couch and OWAAT both have collingwood players on tonight (jolly and leigh brown), whilst our only rep is ross lyon on OWAAT.

one thing the sports psychologist said on the radio was that it was best to clear your head and recover mentally for the first few days of the week. quite happy that these tv shows aren't drilling our boys and asking questions about the game this early in the week when they are trying to recharge mentally.
Ross has to do the media, he put all the players back in the bubble yesterday.

[SuB]
Club Player

This thread makes me feel good.

Although I have been thinking that all the adversity this year places us in the box seat for dealing with this most extraordinary of circumstances.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I hope they're feeling a lot better than me now...

I am gutted,depressed even.I am feeling as if we lost,even though we get another chance!! I seriously think it has to do with my mental state saturday during the game? I think my body went into overload,an emotional rollercoaster...think the brain released a stupid amount of seretonin or something,now I've got nothing left.

Bring back the Lockett era
degruch
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:I hope they're feeling a lot better than me now...

I am gutted,depressed even.I am feeling as if we lost,even though we get another chance!! I seriously think it has to do with my mental state saturday during the game? I think my body went into overload,an emotional rollercoaster...think the brain released a stupid amount of seretonin or something,now I've got nothing left.
We should have won by a heap (bad luck, bad umpires, bad forward delivery), but 'should's not gonna get anyone through the reality that it's game on again this week...if the team doesn't have that in their heads and dwells on the weekend, we'll be in trouble. Chin up mate...we're in a better position this week.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Today I was feeling a bit off as well. I was thinking I was coming down with the flu or something.

Now I'm fairly sure it's just me recovering from the weekend.

The game took so much out of us that it's left us emotionally drained.

A Grand Final come-down.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:

Today I was feeling a bit off as well. I was thinking I was coming down with the flu or something.

Now I'm fairly sure it's just me recovering from the weekend.

The game took so much out of us that it's left us emotionally drained.

The issue is, that you hope the saints players don't feel the same way

A Grand Final come-down.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
jmac101 wrote:interesting that both on the couch and OWAAT both have collingwood players on tonight (jolly and leigh brown), whilst our only rep is ross lyon on OWAAT.

Ross has to do the media, he put all the players back in the bubble yesterday.
interestingly there are Pies players on each of the shows tonight and maxwell had been on radio/ tv each day since..

BUT the pies ahve also re introduced hidden or closed training this week- out in the burbs today and at the G wednesday before their only open session Friday.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I feel that under pressure the Pies became reactive. As soon as you feel the opposition is in control and you go second to the ball you are in real trouble.

It can obviously go either way, but who ever sees the opportunity to take control of the game and play on their terms should win. We finished with momentum and have last year to gather motivation. They don't have baggage from two near misses.

I still feel we have a bit of a psychological edge now but this one will be a test of players mental strength, something older heads should cope with better.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

We have been happy to slip under the radar all year and let the footy do the talking when it counts. The team is tough, resilient, and will go to the death. Our script is playing out perfectly.

The script has been turned on its head for Collingwood.

The Brownlow and the flag were both meant to be a cakewalk.

They have 5 days left to re-program.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

I find my faith in our boys and Ross.
They dont look nor have they acted like broken or beaten men. At the same time I think the strong and humble leadership of guys like Roo and Lenny will keep them grounded and focused.
The fire still burns in our boys, their heads wont be easily turned by media. The bubble is still intact.

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through