Gardi still a chance for a medal if we get up

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Gardi still a chance for a medal if we get up

And fair enough too!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 5929894178

"MICHAEL Gardiner and any other players who miss the Grand Final replay could still get a premiership medal if their team wins.

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou said this morning the option of presenting premiership medals to all players who represented the winning club in either of the two Grand Final matches would be considered at an AFL Commission meeting this morning....."

markp
Saintsational Legend

That would be freaking awesome.

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

If our boys get up I would be very happy to see Gardi get a medal :)

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

TazzieSaintGirl83 wrote:If our boys get up I would be very happy to see Gardi get a medal :)
And it should be part of the formal presentation.

Not sent to the players via Australia Post 2 weeks later!

OhMyGoddard
Club Player

All players on the list should get a GF medal

OMG
karnak
Club Player

At least all players who played seniors throughout the year.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

think this a very sensible thing to do.

to behonest th AFL have won me back in the last 24 hours.

No suspensions from the MCP (match corrupt panel) for either side and a decient pre-match band (where is crowded house right now?) and I will put aside the last 5 years of rubbish they have hit us with.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I'd be gutted if any player who was injured during the 1st GF and wasn't able to get up for the second was ROBBED of the right to a Premiership medallion!! They played their part!! Fair is fair!!!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Shane Crawford put forward a good argument the other week.

His reasoning was that, however many games were required to finish top 8 and play finals eg. 12, whoever on the premiers' playing list played that number of games or greater should get a medal. The theory being that their contribution helped regardless of whether they were there in the final game or not.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:Shane Crawford put forward a good argument the other week.

His reasoning was that, however many games were required to finish top 8 and play finals eg. 12, whoever on the premiers' playing list played that number of games or greater should get a medal. The theory being that their contribution helped regardless of whether they were there in the final game or not.
This I like! I think that would be a great idea, a team is the sum of its parts!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:I'd be gutted if any player who was injured during the 1st GF and wasn't able to get up for the second was ROBBED of the right to a Premiership medallion!! They played their part!! Fair is fair!!!
At the end of the day the club needs to pick the team that it thinks will give it the best chance of success.

And I know getting a medal when you didn't play in the decider is not the same for those players involved.

However it does make it slightly easier for the club to leave someone out this week, if it improves our chances, without that feeling of "we've just cost this guy a medal".

stevie
Saintsational Legend

TazzieSaintGirl83 wrote:

This I like! I think that would be a great idea, a team is the sum of its parts!
Nice thought but wouldn't you then have to retrospectively give out hundreds of medals?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:
TazzieSaintGirl83 wrote:

Nice thought but wouldn't you then have to retrospectively give out hundreds of medals?
Exactly.

For a multitude of reasons that won't happen, at least not anytime soon.

However players from the winning side who played either GF is a distinct possibilty - as it should be.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

So if a player is dropped for next week do people on here think he should go up and get a medal. I doubt anyone would want to do that. If they get a medal which I dont think they should then they must get it later. IMO of course.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:So if a player is dropped for next week do people on here think he should go up and get a medal. I doubt anyone would want to do that. If they get a medal which I dont think they should then they must get it later. IMO of course.
No one will get dropped - there may be "adjustments".

I think such a player will want to get up there and be part of his winning team. Regardless of the players stats/performance in Game 1, they were part of the effort to land the flag.

What if a player played extremeley well in Game 1 but was forced to miss Game 2, would he feel anyless entitled to a medal than something who played only in Game 2 and got 2 touches?

I may be wrong plugger, but I think the majority would take the opposite view to yours.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:So if a player is dropped for next week do people on here think he should go up and get a medal. I doubt anyone would want to do that. If they get a medal which I dont think they should then they must get it later. IMO of course.
No one will get dropped - there may be "adjustments".

I think such a player will want to get up there and be part of his winning team. Regardless of the players stats/performance in Game 1, they were part of the effort to land the flag.

What if a player played extremeley well in Game 1 but was forced to miss Game 2, would he feel anyless entitled to a medal than something who played only in Game 2 and got 2 touches?

I may be wrong plugger, but I think the majority would take the opposite view to yours.
So are you saying if you are actually dropped you dont a medal but if injured you do? What about players from the prelim who got them into a GF. They dont get one. The GF is now this week and IMO they should be the only medallists otherwise everyone should get one.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

I don't know about that.

The reason why Premiership medallions are so special, in our game more than most, is because they're so rare and difficult to win.

If they start giving them out to players who had played a certain number of games, it loses something.

To be considered a Premiership footballer you need to have played in a winning GF IMO and that's it.

Even with Gardi, I'm glad he'll get a medal but it probably won't be the same thing for him. That jubilation that could only come with being on the field in a GF as the final siren sounds is something he'll still never experience.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I liked the comment someone made on the HS, that this game has been one of 8 quarters.

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

I am the first to admit I am completely soft hearted when it comes to our boys in red,white and black. I wouldnt want to take anything away from a premiership medallion being special but a team plays a whole season to make it to finals.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Players who played last week but not this week will not be awarded a medal. There is a FAQ Grand Final rematch page here:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

EDIT: Just heard on the radio that this page has just been updated. No decision has been made as of yet in regards to the medal. Gardi Still a chance!!!! YAY!!!!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saintnick12
Club Player

SainterK wrote:I liked the comment someone made on the HS, that this game has been one of 8 quarters.
That's what my hubby said to me as soon as I got home from the game, feeling emotionally drained.
He said, think of it as half time in the game. You said you'd be happy to be level at half time and you are :wink:
It's a great way to look at it.

Hopefully Gardi gets a medal (Obviously we have to win first).

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:Players who played last week but not this week will not be awarded a medal. There is a FAQ Grand Final rematch page here:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

EDIT: Just heard on the radio that this page has just been updated. No decision has been made as of yet in regards to the medal. Gardi Still a chance!!!! YAY!!!!
Updated to read:

"Will players who took part in the first grand final but miss the second get a premiership medallion if their club wins the replay?

The AFL Commission is yet to determine whether this will happen."

It's being discussed today.

jack
Club Player

In my opinion, anyone who plays in a winning grand final team should get a Gold medallion.

Anyone who plays a senior game should get a silver medallion and everyone else who is employed in the running of the club should get a bronze medallion.

All sponsors should get some sort of framed memorabilia.

All members should get a certificate to acknowledge being part of the team.

It takes a lot of people to win a flag, not just the 22 players on the field.

when you judge someone,
You don't define them,
You define yourself.
Birdman
Club Player

jack wrote:In my opinion, anyone who plays in a winning grand final team should get a Gold medallion.

Anyone who plays a senior game should get a silver medallion and everyone else who is employed in the running of the club should get a bronze medallion.

All sponsors should get some sort of framed memorabilia.

All members should get a certificate to acknowledge being part of the team.

It takes a lot of people to win a flag, not just the 22 players on the field.
This I like.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Only the 22 members of the winning team this coming Saturday should get the Premiership medal. It is a Premiership medal, not a Grand Final medal.