Where did you or will you resort to watching the G/F

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Where did you or will you resort to watching the G/F

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/grand-fi ... 15h9u.html
The Age ran this fantastic photo of four members of the Antarctic service (from left to right) Brett Sambooks, Bill DeBruyn, Dave Davies and Peter Hart watching the Geelong v St Kilda thriller on ice. Needless to say in the internet age it's not unusual for Australians to be able to watch the game no matter where they are in the world,
5. Cheap and nasty

FINALLY we come to the cheapest of cheap seats for last year's thrilling grand final between Geelong and St Kilda. Without doubt the worst place to watch the big match in 2009 was at the St Kilda foreshore where a big screen had been set up for those who had been awaiting a result to rival Barry Breen's wobbly point in 1966. It seemed like a good idea at the time, with sun, sand, and surf expected to provide a picture postcard background for a Saints win. Needless to say the football gods - along with Matthew Scarlett's toe-poke - rained on the parade. Instead of frivolity on the beach we saw shivering and beaten humanity. In this case, the fans got exactly what they paid for.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Milne
Club Player

Last year I was at the game in the rain

This year I will (hopefully) be at the game in the sunshine!

rexy
SS Life Member

Last year I had a holiday planned for late September, it coincided with September school holidays and was organised not long after we had been decimated in the 08 prelim. About half way through the year my wife asked if we should cancel the trip but I said no, A-I dont want to moz anything and B-it seems arrogant to think you will be in the GF just because you are 12 and zip. I figured, if we were to win the flag I wouldnt care where I watched it and if we didnt then as far from Melbourne as possible was probably ok.

So I watched the GF in the pub at Inaminka, which is a town in the desert near the border of Queensland and SA, the bar girl was a bloody geelong supporter but the beer on tap was Coopers and we had a great day.

Maybe this year?
TriColourDisciple
Club Player

Three generations of my family were on the St kilda foreshore watching the big screen braving, what could only be called, 'Arctic conditions'

I remember thinking ' It's going to be worth it. We are all here together, in St kilda, witnessing our second only flag'

It was cold all day, but when that final siren sounded, suddenly it was unbearably icy cold.

However, on the bright side, we all felt richer for what was a unique experience

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
dals_da_bomb
Club Player

I felw out to qld just after our prelim win last year, and flew back to melbourne 2 days after the grand final.

this year Im heading around to a friends house for a bbq- against my better judgement (I have been known to go a little bit feral watching the footy) I am really tempted to just stay home by myself and watch the game.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
St Michele
Club Player

Last year i managed to get tickets situated pretty much on top of the Geelong Cheers Squad... it was not a nice experience being sworn at and abused every minute of the game. I walkded out of the game into a taxi and back to the hotel swearing I would never go to another Grand Final.

In March I booked my flights, in July my accomodation and I have tickets agian. This time will be amongst the Saints and can't wait.... My poor husband however can't come this time ( after converting to becoming a Saints supporter and member this year) so i am sharing a room with his mate ( a diehard saint) and meeting my brother who is coming form the Gold coast, my Mum ( who at this stage is not coming to the game) who is flying in from the UK and of the course the numerous Western Saints who are makinghteir way across again.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
Sawf
Club Player

Last year I sat in my mate's lounge room in Hamburg at 6am and watched it on his computer by myself. A few of the lads from the Hamburg Dockers were at an Irish pub, but I just couldn't face being around anyone else.

Whilst a few mates around Melbourne are having BBQs etc, if I can't source a ticket for Saturday, I think I'm gonna have to do the same thing - at least this time I won't be relying on a dodgey stream!

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I'm still hopefully a ticket will float my way, but if not I'm happy enough to just batten down the hatches, stock the fridge with beer, get my colours on and go nuts at the 55inch LED for the duration of the game! I can't do the social BBQ thing! I need to be surrounded by fellow Sainters because if we're going down, I know they all share the same pain! However, should we win! F@(K YEAH!!!! :D :D :D

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

I watched alone last year at home and just as well because I was a hopeless tear sodden mess.

This year I am really not sure. I point blank refuse to watch with any collingwood supporters. I will be heading out for breakfast (and a few drinks) with some girlfriends then probably back home to set myself up to watch it there.

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
spert
Saintsational Legend

No visitors or BBQ this year, there is unfinished supporter business. I'm going to sit in the backyard with my iPhone and look at scores a few times each quarter, if by early in the last we are well in front, I will go to the TV and watch it.