Frees my A%$e!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

Frees my A%$e!

Last edited by The Linton Street Flash on Wed 08 Sep 2010 7:52am, edited 1 time in total.

Look again it's the Flash!!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

What a simply spectacular compilation!

The only one I don't agree with is the Johnson ducked head free. Not sure there's much of a ducked head there. The Stokes one could have gone either way. But the Selwood one was a simple case of cheating.

The Gilbert holding the ball decision was revoltingly s***.

And how did they miss the Johnson push out????

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Richter
SS Life Member

Also

- 3.02 to go in 3rd Q. Ling pushes the Saints defender in the back in the lead up to the dodgy Johnson ducking the head decision.

Where's the Herald Sun poll?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting thread.

Are you referring to this?

Furtius Quo Rdelious
bigred
Saintsational Legend

The only one I don't agree with is the Johnson ducked head free
Yeah he was falling over.

Soft as soft as soft free kick though. They got a pretty good run when you watch that...

The Gilbert prior opp one is a joke.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
The only one I don't agree with is the Johnson ducked head free
Yeah he was falling over.

Soft as soft as soft free kick though. They got a pretty good run when you watch that...

The Gilbert prior opp one is a joke.
Selwoods and Stokes were shockers also!

Another opportunity awaits!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We call the cats sooks after whinging over frees after they lost and we pick up frees that may have not been there and whinge after winning. What is the point. Any game against any team could do it. What does it prove. That umpires make mistakes. We know that. There is a term called a good winner. Maybe we should try to be just that. I can see after GF and hopefully we finally win it there will be a similar thread.

As I said umpires make mistakes but lets leave the whinging to the cats.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Clearly, in the wake of the Fishlips sookfest (ie specifically "the other 15 that weren't paid" comment), the OP was illustrating the point that we had plenty to bleat about if we so chose.

In addition, of course, to the Hawkins poster of GF 09 which our good coach chose not to wail about even though he had every right.

Many decisions/non-decisions depicted in the clip, were wrong. Many of the decisions resulted in goals to Geelong.

I think that's relevant. If nothing else, it shows how umpires can fold in 'hot' games and it also shows how their apparent inability to get things right can have a direct bearing on the flow of a match.

Not an easy job, umpiring. In fact I can't think of a worse one beyond collecting office sanitary bins. But if mistakes aren't pointed out how on earth do they get avoided in the future? Or a bit like the MRP, do we simply ignore precedent - good and bad - and wing it as we go along?

Besides, if you personally don't think it's worth discussing then why not find something else to discuss? It's advice you've handed out to others in the past. Why not practice what you preach?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
gringo
Saintsational Legend

To me Bomber and Mooney have used the media to intimidate the umpires into giving more free kicks their way. When there is a 50/50 decision to be made a little bit of Stevics subconcious says don't pull out the whistle or you will be punished in a trial by media. The rules against commenting on umpiring decisions is to stop a team from trying to gain an unfair advantage and to protect the umpires from public humiliation. Once again the AFL has been piss weak on something because they felt it had public opinion against further action. The media has been the ones driving popular opinion by presenting a unified crucifixion of Stevic. He will probably never make the sort of decision late in a game again. Good job AFL, now the standards of umpiring will be diminished and suburban umpires now get pissed supporters looking at any decision they don't like as not in the spirit of the game. Great leadership Andy.

yipper
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:To me Bomber and Mooney have used the media to intimidate the umpires into giving more free kicks their way. When there is a 50/50 decision to be made a little bit of Stevics subconcious says don't pull out the whistle or you will be punished in a trial by media. The rules against commenting on umpiring decisions is to stop a team from trying to gain an unfair advantage and to protect the umpires from public humiliation. Once again the AFL has been piss weak on something because they felt it had public opinion against further action. The media has been the ones driving popular opinion by presenting a unified crucifixion of Stevic. He will probably never make the sort of decision late in a game again. Good job AFL, now the standards of umpiring will be diminished and suburban umpires now get pissed supporters looking at any decision they don't like as not in the spirit of the game. Great leadership Andy.
Spot on. Weak, very weak from the AFL. Geelong should have been sanctioned - severely.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
gringo wrote:To me Bomber and Mooney have used the media to intimidate the umpires into giving more free kicks their way. When there is a 50/50 decision to be made a little bit of Stevics subconcious says don't pull out the whistle or you will be punished in a trial by media. The rules against commenting on umpiring decisions is to stop a team from trying to gain an unfair advantage and to protect the umpires from public humiliation. Once again the AFL has been piss weak on something because they felt it had public opinion against further action. The media has been the ones driving popular opinion by presenting a unified crucifixion of Stevic. He will probably never make the sort of decision late in a game again. Good job AFL, now the standards of umpiring will be diminished and suburban umpires now get pissed supporters looking at any decision they don't like as not in the spirit of the game. Great leadership Andy.
Spot on. Weak, very weak from the AFL. Geelong should have been sanctioned - severely.
Good points. How did Bomber escape the usual fine on this? More policy on the run by the master spin doctor Andy D.

As for being bad winners, Plugger, i think the prevailing view from our supporters is that we deserved our victory, a fact entirely lost on Thompson and Mooney.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 08 Sep 2010 10:10am, edited 1 time in total.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Tom Harley calling "great use of the body" as he's watching a replay of Johnson blatantly push Dempster in the back.

FFS how frustrating

Moods
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:We call the cats sooks after whinging over frees after they lost and we pick up frees that may have not been there and whinge after winning. What is the point. Any game against any team could do it. What does it prove. That umpires make mistakes. We know that. There is a term called a good winner. Maybe we should try to be just that. I can see after GF and hopefully we finally win it there will be a similar thread.

First up plugger, it's not the club whinging it's supporters on an unofficial forum - not really the same. Secondly I reckon all the O.P. is doing is highlighting the fact that there was more than one contentious decision that resulted in a goal for the opposition or a scoring opportunity. The way the cats have carried on, you would have thought they had been robbed, bashed and violated on the night by the umpy's. I don't agree with all the highlighted incidents but I reckon it gives food for thought to all footy fans. You could go through an entire game every week and find decisions or non decisions I agree. Perhaps the cats fans need to remember that. At absolute worst Gwilts free was debateable. You'd think the decision was as abvious as his frizzy hair the way they have banged on about it. All this thread does is highlight that there were plenty of other 'debateable' calls that didn't favour the saints.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
plugger66 wrote:We call the cats sooks after whinging over frees after they lost and we pick up frees that may have not been there and whinge after winning. What is the point. Any game against any team could do it. What does it prove. That umpires make mistakes. We know that. There is a term called a good winner. Maybe we should try to be just that. I can see after GF and hopefully we finally win it there will be a similar thread.

First up plugger, it's not the club whinging it's supporters on an unofficial forum - not really the same. Secondly I reckon all the O.P. is doing is highlighting the fact that there was more than one contentious decision that resulted in a goal for the opposition or a scoring opportunity. The way the cats have carried on, you would have thought they had been robbed, bashed and violated on the night by the umpy's. I don't agree with all the highlighted incidents but I reckon it gives food for thought to all footy fans. You could go through an entire game every week and find decisions or non decisions I agree. Perhaps the cats fans need to remember that. At absolute worst Gwilts free was debateable. You'd think the decision was as abvious as his frizzy hair the way they have banged on about it. All this thread does is highlight that there were plenty of other 'debateable' calls that didn't favour the saints.
And perhaps if the AFL had fined Bomber, and media loudmouths such as Sheehan, Robinson, Hutchinson etc hadn't carried on so much with the "Geelong was robbed" drivel, there would have been no need at all for this thread!

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

They should be called the Geelong ducks!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:

Exactly my point. Only more succinctly put.

It's one thing to argue the 'debatability' of Gwilts (pretty short debate IMO :D ) and another all together to leave the Johnson push, the Gilbert holding the ball, and the Selwood duck completely ignored.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

What about when Mini had the ball, Ling ran at him practically straight away, so the umpire called play on....was it just me, or was that red hot?

Richter
SS Life Member

Some of those "head highs" were ridiculous. THe rule was originally brought in to protect the guy going low from getting injured.

In the Johnson and Stokes cases it is obvious that the tacklers are trying to avoid getting the guy in the head, yet they still got pinged!

(I actually agreed with the Selwood free).

SO many 50/50s that went Geelong's way and plenty of clear frees not given.

THe Johnson and Ling pushes were ridiculous, particularly given the close proximity of the umpires and the blatant hands in the back pf the defenders.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Furphy
Club Player

That video link should be posted on Geelong's forum :lol: :twisted:

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

That video should be sent to those 2 daily rags so they can be aware of the ridiculousness of the decisions which had some affect on the game[/list]

Another opportunity awaits!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

The ducking into a tackle or sliding down in a tackle should be taken to Gieshen for clarification. I have no idea wether the rule is enforced any more. It used to be that a player deliberately ducking into the tackle wouldn't get a free.

As for the Stokes high, I can't see when he was actually even contacted above the shoulders. He actually tried to make a bit of a stage then stops himself, still gets the free. Milne and Schnides might get that kind of protection if they did that too. Lets get Gieshen to tell us the rule and we can practise it for the prelim.

Superboot
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:What about when Mini had the ball, Ling ran at him practically straight away, so the umpire called play on....was it just me, or was that red hot?
Mini may have gone slightly off his line but I maintain that it's simply his natural arc :wink:

Not the first time we've had those weird holding the ball decisions against us this season. I'd be interested to know whether the umpire actually called play on in this case and whether it was before or after Ling made the move.

saintDal
Club Player

SainterK wrote:What about when Mini had the ball, Ling ran at him practically straight away, so the umpire called play on....was it just me, or was that red hot?
Yeah I'm not sure Mini moved off the line at all. Pretty stiff.

suss
Club Player

Richter wrote:
(I actually agreed with the Selwood free).
The Selwood free was probably there but take a look in the background two seconds prior to the free being given, pay particular attention to the tackle by James Kelly on Farren Ray.

saint3d
Club Player

saintDal wrote:
Yeah I'm not sure Mini moved off the line at all. Pretty stiff.
The umpire called play on because he took too long. Ling was at most 3 metres from McQualter when the umpire made the call. To my understanding that should be a 50m penalty, shouldn't it?