Did we win?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWal
Club Player

Did we win?

Just reading the Hun and the Age. Did we win? Or did the better team lose by a dubious free kick.

It would also seem that LIngs kick was after the siren. There was obviously no time for a Saints score after that kick. Funny but I believe when the siren did go it was in our forward pocket and that was after wasting time on the wing. Improbable yes but haven't they learned that nothing is impossible.

A kick that hits the post and is given a goal
A rushed behing that is given a goal (would like a cheer squadder to give an opinion on this from close up)
A free kick that was there and everyone says it was there but no one other than a Saints supporter wanted it to be paid.

The only way this team will get the respect it deserves is to win a GF and that is coming at the end of this month.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Yes we did win... our first final against Geelong ever. 8-)

Admittedly it wasn't a large streak... 4 losses over 42 years...

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
markp
Saintsational Legend

Did we f***!! 8-)

MareesMaxxy

As the old footy addage goes... We sh*t it in!!!

SaintDebi
Club Player

Think the Sun and the Age are bad? Try reading the Geelong Advertiser!
Well suck it up cats. The best team on the night won. Now wouldn't your energy be better spent preparing for the game you have to play next week?

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
Furphy
Club Player

I was thinking the same thing! No mention in the media of at least three goals to Girlong from much more dubious free kicks than the free paid to Gwilt, or the goal paid to them that was touched. Talk about media darlings, Girlong can do no wrong in their eyes!

mullet
Saintsational Legend

You wouldnt think so from the way its being reported

Fact is we out played them for 2.5 quarters and they were the ones that got lucky. How lucky for them that it rained and stopped our flowing play and marking forwards.

Only person I have heard call it as it is was Dr Turf on SEN. He said Geelong were outplayed and then had to play catch up all night.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

No use crying over spilt milk Cats,

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Furphy
Club Player

Be sure to register your vote on the Gwilty free:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Furphy wrote:Be sure to register your vote on the Gwilty free:

Just voted, 57% are saying it was a free which suprised me, thought there would be a lot of ggeeeeeelllonnng ppl and others that dont like us (which seems to be manny these days :D ) voting no

I love this club
saint3d
Club Player

Stillwaiting wrote:
Furphy wrote:Be sure to register your vote on the Gwilty free:

Just voted, 57% are saying it was a free which suprised me, thought there would be a lot of ggeeeeeelllonnng ppl and others that dont like us (which seems to be manny these days :D ) voting no
There probably is. Without the emotional votes it would probably be more like 80% yes.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

My wife walked in the door about an hour ago and reckons they have been paying out on Geelong, particularly Mark Thompson about his behaviour in his media conference after the game. Has anyone else heard anything. Hate to belittle the missus, but she is prone to exageration at times :oops: REckons that SEN were saying that Mooney's goal was dubious plus the other two we have all been discussing re Stokes and SJ frees were just as dubious as the Gwilt one.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:My wife walked in the door about an hour ago and reckons they have been paying out on Geelong, particularly Mark Thompson about his behaviour in his media conference after the game. Has anyone else heard anything. Hate to belittle the missus, but she is prone to exageration at times :oops: REckons that SEN were saying that Mooney's goal was dubious plus the other two we have all been discussing re Stokes and SJ frees were just as dubious as the Gwilt one.
She's on the money - Have heard the same

bozza1980
Club Player

Re: Did we win?

SaintWal wrote: A kick that hits the post and is given a goal
A rushed behing that is given a goal (would like a cheer squadder to give an opinion on this from close up)
A free kick that was there and everyone says it was there but no one other than a Saints supporter wanted it to be paid.
I wasn't in the cheer squad but in the next st kilda bay to the left and had a clear view. I was flabbergasted as it was plain as day to me.

Very familiar feeling, it was obvious to me yet obvious that the umpire was about to make a horrible mistake.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
saint1974
Club Player

bozza1980 wrote:
I wasn't in the cheer squad but in the next st kilda bay to the left and had a clear view. I was flabbergasted as it was plain as day to me.

Very familiar feeling, it was obvious to me yet obvious that the umpire was about to make a horrible mistake.
+1 We also were next to the cheer squad and saw Zac touch it.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saint1974 wrote:
bozza1980 wrote:

I was 780kms away and it was pretty clear to me too.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:Just reading the Hun and the Age. Did we win? Or did the better team lose by a dubious free kick.

It would also seem that LIngs kick was after the siren. There was obviously no time for a Saints score after that kick. Funny but I believe when the siren did go it was in our forward pocket and that was after wasting time on the wing. Improbable yes but haven't they learned that nothing is impossible.

A kick that hits the post and is given a goal

The only way this team will get the respect it deserves is to win a GF and that is coming at the end of this month.

well said....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint1974 wrote:
bozza1980 wrote:

No doubt he touched it. The problem was he hit it onto Mooneys boot. Just saw it again and there was enough force by Zac for the ball to go through the goals that quickly.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

huahaha its funny that... free kick thats been paid all year including last week in ben cousins fair well game that stopped the richmond run

if its been paid all year and last year.. who cares???

take out a few dodgy goals given to them it wouldnt matter (not saying ump was against us, it was consistant both ways 90% of the game)

iif the saints hadve switched to wet weather footy rather then play the clean game sooner we wouldnt be having this discussion

the better team on the day won and they deserved to, they lead 95% of the game dominated play until the last 5 min of 3rd

and regained the pill when it mattered in the last and held it out simple

why in the media where we not "robbed" when they got the goal that hit the post, or when scarlett ran the ball back 30m to rush a behind under next to no pressure from milne who was 5-10m away (when they cried for the rule change about the rushed behind)

or the many frees to schnieder that shouldve been paid directly infront of goal

but no because we get a legit free kick that was 100% correct any day of the week over the last 10 years??? they were robbed

but as people say ducking the head infront of goal... usually play on.. they got free

clear pushes in the back in their forward 50 got ignored

a 50/50 decision between mooney and dawson which in normal play and slow mo looked like dawson had the last touched... they get goal

thats 3-4 goals right there that shouldnt have been but were

if we had lost it wouldve been "cats greatest team of all with come back"

on bigfooty 95% say free kick is legit, commentators stated its legit

so geelong and media STOP CRYING YOUR RIVER BUILD A BRIDGE AND GET OVER IT, THE TEAM THAT EARNT THE WIN GOT IT AND WERENT ROBBED LIKE IN THE GRAND FINAL WHICH YOU FAIL TO MEANTION!!!!

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Moods wrote:My wife walked in the door about an hour ago and reckons they have been paying out on Geelong, particularly Mark Thompson about his behaviour in his media conference after the game. Has anyone else heard anything. Hate to belittle the missus, but she is prone to exageration at times :oops: REckons that SEN were saying that Mooney's goal was dubious plus the other two we have all been discussing re Stokes and SJ frees were just as dubious as the Gwilt one.
Selwood got a dubious high tackle free too. Which was more than typical.

I was next to the fan club too, and there's no way you could understand the umpire giving that as a goal. Definitely more doubt than certainty.

Robson's been a joke on the radio this morning, and his article in the Hun is a joke. He's a joke.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:Think the Sun and the Age are bad? Try reading the Geelong Advertiser!
Well suck it up cats. The best team on the night won. Now wouldn't your energy be better spent preparing for the game you have to play next week?
thought this article was pretty good actually Debi- considering it was the Addy
http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=64600

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SaintDebi
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
SaintDebi wrote:Think the Sun and the Age are bad? Try reading the Geelong Advertiser!
thought this article was pretty good actually Debi- considering it was the Addy
http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=64600
Lol. Pretty balanced for the addy I admit. But trust me the overall tone of the paper was that the Cats deserved to win and were robbed by a controversial free kick.
Stay tuned for the reader's letters and txts on monday!

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:Think the Sun and the Age are bad? Try reading the Geelong Advertiser!Well suck it up cats. The best team on the night won. Now wouldn't your energy be better spent preparing for the game you have to play next week?
well i was in geelong this morning, and picked up the advertiser. and one comment i laughed over, where the reporter stated that milne "inexplicably got away from his apponenant for a little while!!!"