Our big improvers in 2010

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Our big improvers in 2010

My top 3, I realise Jimmy is playing a different role, but still a significant improver.

James Gwilt

2009 average per game
Kicks 6.5, Handballs 6.5, Disposals 13, 3.7 Marks, 0.5 goals

2010 average per game
Kicks 12.6, Handballs 6.6, Disposals 19.2, 5.6 Marks, 0.2 goals

Adam Schneider

2009 average per game
Kicks 8.8, Handballs 5.4, Disposals 14.2, 4.5 Marks, 1.4 goals

2010 average per game
Kicks 11, Handballs 7.2, Disposals 18.2, 5.1 Marks, 1.6 goals
*also second in AFL for goal assists with 27

Ben McEvoy

2009 average per game
Kicks 2.9, Handballs 4.4, Disposals 7.4, 2.7 Marks, 0.3 goals, 8.6 hitouts

2010 average per game
Kicks 3.7, Handballs 6.8, Disposals 10.4, 4 Marks, 0.4 goals, 10.9 hitouts

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Not being a real keen stats man, I'm surprised that Schnieders goal return is not higher than last season, although I presume his goal assists are a lot higher.

Big Boy McEvoy is coming along nicely. Whilst his stats dont show anything remarkable compared to last season, I think 2010 has been a real positive for Big Boy, and lets hope he's ready to rip the Pussys apart on Friday night.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:Not being a real keen stats man, I'm surprised that Schnieders goal return is not higher than last season, although I presume his goal assists are a lot higher.

Big Boy McEvoy is coming along nicely. Whilst his stats dont show anything remarkable compared to last season, I think 2010 has been a real positive for Big Boy, and lets hope he's ready to rip the Pussys apart on Friday night.
Yep, last year he had 14 assists...so goals contributed last year 48, this year 61.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes Schneider has really grown as a player, and Ben is coming along nicely.

Stats don't always tell the full story though.

BJ is having a great and better year, and his stats are up a bit too..

Gardiner has IMO had a much more consistent and better 2010 than 2009, and importantly is entering the finals in good form. Late last year he was flat.

Milne too has IMO grown as a player this year.

Gwilt was booming..but has been flat of late. Lets hope he rediscovers his early season form.

Peake was not with us...but he has gotten better and better as the season has progressed. stats wise he is having his best year since 2006.

We do need a chunk of players to get back to or exceed their 2009 seasons though.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Yes Schneider has really grown as a player, and Ben is coming along nicely.

Stats don't always tell the full story though.

BJ is having a great and better year, and his stats are up a bit too..

Gardiner has IMO had a much more consistent and better 2010 than 2009, and importantly is entering the finals in good form. Late last year he was flat.

Milne too has IMO grown as a player this year.

Gwilt was booming..but has been flat of late. Lets hope he rediscovers his early season form.

Peake was not with us...but he has gotten better and better as the season has progressed. stats wise he is having his best year since 2006.

We do need a chunk of players to get back to or exceed their 2009 seasons though.
Milne has grown as a player, but like many, is well down on his tackling this year.

I realise stats don't always tell the story, they are just who I personally consider my top 3 and included them anyway.

Good points about Gardiner, and Peake is a great example of making the most of his second chance.

Here is Peake in 2010, compared with his career average...he is tackling more and contibuting to the scoreboard more with his assists and inside 50m.

Kicks 10.2 Handballs 6.8 Disposals 17 Marks 4.4 Goals 0.5 Tackles 3.4 Assists 0.5 Inside 50m 2.6

Career
Kicks 9 Handballs 6.7 Disposals 15.7 Marks 4.1 Goals 0.5 Tackles 2.3 Assists 0.0 Inside 50m 0.0

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Not surprised by the Peake stats. Especially since the half way mark of the season, IMO he's been excellent.

Another quick Line breaking player is what we're probably missing at present. Need I mention his name, but he would have been fairly handy. :(

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Here is Peake in 2010, compared with his career average...he is tackling more and contibuting to the scoreboard more with his assists and inside 50m.

Kicks 10.2 Handballs 6.8 Disposals 17 Marks 4.4 Goals 0.5 Tackles 3.4 Assists 0.5 Inside 50m 2.6

Career
Kicks 9 Handballs 6.7 Disposals 15.7 Marks 4.1 Goals 0.5 Tackles 2.3 Assists 0.0 Inside 50m 0.0
i've only got the last three years (2007-09) of his assists and inside 50s, but i reckon it's more like:

0.46 assists, 2.59 inside 50s

which suggests that this year has been exactly on his average for them...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
SainterK wrote:Here is Peake in 2010, compared with his career average...he is tackling more and contibuting to the scoreboard more with his assists and inside 50m.

Career
i've only got the last three years (2007-09) of his assists and inside 50s, but i reckon it's more like:

0.46 assists, 2.59 inside 50s

which suggests that this year has been exactly on his average for them...
It's entirely possible bergholt, I can only rely on info published on the web, and it may not be accurate. Sorry if it's wrong...

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... 1=S&fid2=C

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Gotta love Jimmy Gwilt. What a trooper!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I dare say if it weren't for injury, Raph Clarke was looking like being among our most improved in 2010.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:It's entirely possible bergholt, I can only rely on info published on the web, and it may not be accurate. Sorry if it's wrong...

yeah, i got my stats from footywire as well, actually, so we're close! what they do badly over there is dealing with missing data. because they don't have any assist or inside 50 data before 2007, they seem to display it as 0 for his whole career, which is incorrect - but then, because they don't have the data for all the games, there's not really any way for them to calculate a sensible average.

anyway, i agree with you that he's been improved this year, though it obviously hasn't been as dramatic as the rise and rise of jimmy gwilt.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
SainterK wrote:It's entirely possible bergholt, I can only rely on info published on the web, and it may not be accurate. Sorry if it's wrong...

yeah, i got my stats from footywire as well, actually, so we're close! what they do badly over there is dealing with missing data. because they don't have any assist or inside 50 data before 2007, they seem to display it as 0 for his whole career, which is incorrect - but then, because they don't have the data for all the games, there's not really any way for them to calculate a sensible average.

anyway, i agree with you that he's been improved this year, though it obviously hasn't been as dramatic as the rise and rise of jimmy gwilt.
Ah I see, that's confusing then, will remember that for future reference.

SRS is the one who mentioned Peake, perhaps it's his tackling pressure and willingness to work for his teamates that is particularly noticeable this year...

Yep, Jimmy is the biggest improver for mine.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Good post Sainter.

Those are the big 4 improvers/additions - Jimmy G for sure. Then add Ben, Schneids and Peakey.

Biggest slide has been Zac for sure. I wonder if something will come out about those illness rumours from early in the year? He just lost so much weight. Hes nowhere near the player he was last year. Mind you a good September and i wont be too concerned.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

For mine I'd say Jimmy Gwilt, Raph Clarke (before his injury), Ben McEvoy, Robert Eddy and Sam Gilbert (please learn to kick). Special mention to Luke Miles.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintsfooty
Club Player

Schneider, Peake, Gwilt, McEvoy.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Gwilt was booming..but has been flat of late. Lets hope he rediscovers his early season form.
Agree re Gwilt. That run off half back is very important to us and we've looked at our best over the past two seasons with someone, usually Gilbert, dominating there.

Oppositions are on to this and are trying everything to shut down Gilbert, Fisher and Gwilt.

IMO it is vital that at least one of them cuts loose and dominates.

Otherwise we might need to move BJ or Gram from the midfield to play this rebounding role.

The good thing is that, with many players who can give us that run and rebound, it is very difficult to shut them all down.

Back to the OP, improvers have included McEvoy, Gwilt and Schneider. I wouldn't include Peake because he didn't play for us last season, but he has been good. Eddy looked just about ready to shore up a spot before his injury and I've liked what I've seen of Steven and Stanley.

The sliders include Zac and Kosi, but the season is not over yet. Mini, too, has not produced anything like his 2009 form.

CJ, while playing some very good football, hasn't quite reached the heights of last year. Perhaps opponents have realised he can really hurt them and are now paying him due respect.

Collingwood certainly does, as seen when they targeted him for some heavy attention in Round 4. CJ should wear this like a badge of honour and rise above it. He's good enough and we need him really flying this campaign.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thought this grab from todays presser was telling to Gwilts improvement this year.

St Kilda has a cluster of players such as Dempster and McQualter who have had to battle for their spot in the team. Last year, it was James Gwilt who missed out. Now Gwilt is a fixture across half-back, but he will have thoughts for those who do not make the cut. ''I took it pretty hard last year. It spurred me on and motivated me a bit to get a bit fitter and a bit stronger. It acts as motivation but I still feel for them.''

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Good post Sainter.

Those are the big 4 improvers/additions - Jimmy G for sure. Then add Ben, Schneids and Peakey.

Biggest slide has been Zac for sure. I wonder if something will come out about those illness rumours from early in the year? He just lost so much weight. Hes nowhere near the player he was last year. Mind you a good September and i wont be too concerned.
well so far so good for Zac's september. lets hope it continues this week.

He won't be dropped, as he will take Dawes or Cloke

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

UPDATE:

Gwilt has recovered his form :D

Eddy has also bloomed late in the season...has stepped up..

Peake has improved again. His game against the Cats was sensational.

Ben just gets better and better. Loved the way that he was Mr Cool seizing up the moment to run in and then steady to kick a goal that arguably turned the game our way against the Dogs.

Milne is kicking goals in finals, and the Cats game was arguably his best game ever with his combined forward/midfield role in that game.

And on Zac..not better than he was in 2009..BUT after being ill over summer he started the season lacking confidence and form. Over the last month though he has delivered a solid series of games culminating in a very good game against BBBH who did not get a goal till the Saints had 5 on the interchange bench.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....