82 goals and 39 goal assists not playing today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsfooty
Club Player

82 goals and 39 goal assists not playing today

That's nearly 4 goals and 2 goal assists per game or 36 points that were missing from today's team.

Our No 1 and No 2 goalkickers didn't play today and it cost us.

Don't panic. We shut down very quickly when the game was out of our hands.

I'm more worried about Fisher than the loss.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

As opposed to Adelaide, who were without Andrew McLeod, Simon Goodwin, Tyson Edwards (all 3 of whom were still doing well this year), Brett Burton, Nathan Bock, Chris Knights, Andy Otten (second in the rising star award last year) and Bernie Vince, who won their Best & Fairest award last year. And who were apparently down to two on the bench for most of the second half, with one of those off the ground being Johncock, who was doing very well till he went off injured. That's 1398 games experience, and about 1000 goals, not including Johncock and all 8 would most likely be in their starting 18, if fit and in finals contention.
We were kept to 5 goals and kept in our defensive half for much of the game by a very young and inexperienced side, so please excuse those of us who don't feel overly optimistic about our chances against the elite, experienced teams, after that game. As we have for much of the year, we need to do a hell of a lot better than that (not including the last quarter, where we apparently put the cue in the rack) if we're going to win the flag.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

We were kept to 5 goals and kept in our defensive half for much of the game by a very young and inexperienced side, so please excuse those of us who don't feel overly optimistic about our chances against the elite, experienced teams, after that game. As we have for much of the year, we need to do a hell of a lot better than that (not including the last quarter, where we apparently put the cue in the rack) if we're going to win the flag.
I can't understand why anyone would take the time to bring down everything positve on this site. It takes a lot of energy to try and convince everyone we are doomed and even if I believed it, I've got no idea why I'd want to convert everyone to my point of view.

The only reason is the chance to have a "I told you so" post after next week's game.

The irony is the poster's name.....

saintsfooty
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:As opposed to Adelaide, who were without Andrew McLeod, Simon Goodwin, Tyson Edwards (all 3 of whom were still doing well this year), Brett Burton, Nathan Bock, Chris Knights, Andy Otten (second in the rising star award last year) and Bernie Vince, who won their Best & Fairest award last year. And who were apparently down to two on the bench for most of the second half, with one of those off the ground being Johncock, who was doing very well till he went off injured. That's 1398 games experience, and about 1000 goals, not including Johncock and all 8 would most likely be in their starting 18, if fit and in finals contention.
Just trying to be positive. If you think we would have played like that in a final, you don't know our team.

If we had Harvey, Burke, Loewe and Gehrig retiring yesterday and it was our last game of the season at home, how fired up would our boys be?

saintsfooty
Club Player

GeorgeYoung27 wrote: I can't understand why anyone would take the time to bring down everything positve on this site. It takes a lot of energy to try and convince everyone we are doomed and even if I believed it, I've got no idea why I'd want to convert everyone to my point of view.

The only reason is the chance to have a "I told you so" post after next week's game.

Agree. No irony in the name. If anyone thought we played Saints Footy yesterday, they have no idea what Saints Footy is.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:
I can't understand why anyone would take the time to bring down everything positve on this site. It takes a lot of energy to try and convince everyone we are doomed and even if I believed it, I've got no idea why I'd want to convert everyone to my point of view.

Where to start. I take it your brain isn't switched on this morning. Maybe you're hung over. (Lets hope.)
"Bring down everything positive". Really? Everything? What rubbish.
Who said anything about wanting to "convert everyone to my point of view"? I was just responding to this guy's post, that indicated we'll be OK, because we were missing a couple of guys. If that's what he's hanging his hat on, we're in trouble, because, as I stated, they were without 8 of probably their starting 18. If he'd made a good point I would have agreed with it, but he didn't, so I pointed it out to him, if that's OK with you. That is, from what I'm led to believe, what forums are all about. Not just writing a whole pile of parochial s*** that isn't based on the truth, or facts, or that just tells one side of the story. If you do that you tend to get shot down very quickly, in my experience.
And I wouldn't need to "convert everyone", because as the posts in the past 24 hours have clearly shown, many were dismayed at our performance yesterday, even in the first 3 quarters. I'm far from Robinson Caruso there.
It didn't take much energy at all and who the f*** said we are "doomed"? That's your word, certainly not mine, by any means. Did you conveniently overlook the fact that I said "we need to do a hell of a lot better than that"? Or would the truth get in the way of your good story?
If we were "doomed" there would be nothing we could do about it, but there is, hence me saying "we need to do a hell of a lot better than that" and hence the name. Which you would have realised, if you were either remotely smart, or had a better ability to read.
And that is the point of the post, not "the chance to have a "I told you so" post after next week's game.". Maybe that's what you would do, which would explain why you concluded that that was the only reason I could have done it, but it's sure as s*** not why i did it. I did it because I believe we're still not on track and that we still need to lift our game and intensity, if we're to win the flag, because I'm getting really sick of us not winning them.
Many are just saying "we'll be right", "we'll be right", "there's nothing to worry about", etc, but I kept reading the same things last year, when things went awry late in the season and we weren't "right", unless not winning the premiership again is what they consider "right" and it looks like they're, or others are doing the same things again this year.
The point of my so called "negative post" is to point out that all is not "right", unless we meant to only just beat Richmond and then lose to a very inexperienced Adelaide, while only scoring 12 times, which I doubt. The point is to get us going better, before another season goes down the drain, so I don't have to say "I told you so".
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sun 29 Aug 2010 12:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

saintsfooty wrote:
GeorgeYoung27 wrote: I can't understand why anyone would take the time to bring down everything positve on this site. It takes a lot of energy to try and convince everyone we are doomed and even if I believed it, I've got no idea why I'd want to convert everyone to my point of view.

Agree. No irony in the name. If anyone thought we played Saints Footy yesterday, they have no idea what Saints Footy is.
I take it you brain isn't switched on either?

saintsfooty
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
saintsfooty wrote:

I take it you brain isn't switched on either?
It helps to switch your brain off in order to assimilate on the forum.

Case in point: Robinson Caruso. The island opera singer. Hope he is our Man Friday :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anything is possible Saints if you play Saints Footy.

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

Oh OK. So I need to switch my brain on. Sorry, is that better? So what I post on the forum is going to effect the way the team plays? Well we should play better football next week and kick a lot more goals. Ross, you have no idea. We should have momentum like we did last year. Geelong will smash us if we play like yesterday. That'll do it. I feel like I have contributed to the cause and taken my rose-coloured glasses off.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:Oh OK. So I need to switch my brain on. Sorry, is that better? So what I post on the forum is going to effect the way the team plays? Well we should play better football next week and kick a lot more goals. Ross, you have no idea. We should have momentum like we did last year. Geelong will smash us if we play like yesterday. That'll do it. I feel like I have contributed to the cause and taken my rose-coloured glasses off.
What are we doing here then? What's the point of any of us posting anything?
Everything you do in life matters, even if it's only a tiny bit. It's like throwing a rock in a pond. The ripples go on forever. Everything you do makes some difference. Even you.
"Ross, you have no idea." Your words. "We should have momentum like we did last year." Who said that? Your words. If your brain is switched on, I'm concerned.
"Geelong will smash us if we play like yesterday." Of course they will, but we probably weren't switched on, or trying to bust a gut, even for the first 3 quarters, but then again, I doubt Geelong were, either. At least they had 32 scoring shots though. We had 12 and struggled to score, as we have for lot of the year and I doubt very much that's what we had in mind yesterday.
So my opinion is that we're still not on track and need to get there super-fast and I'm posting it here, because this is a forum for opinions. If you don't like it, I really don't care in the slightest. You're free to try and make me stop, if you like.
Many on here seem to be just posting "positive" comments because they believe just by saying something positive it will happen, but it won't if you don't really believe it. And you'll only believe it when everything's in place for that to happen. And I don't believe everything's in place yet, which is why I'm speaking up, so it will help them to be so, in time. Because I'm tired of us not winning premierships.