Roo's Kicking

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Roo's Kicking

About as bad as I've seen was today.

Does not augur well for the finals.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Buckets
SS Life Member

Re: Roo's Kicking

dcstkfc wrote:About as bad as I've seen was today.

No need to worry. He and the rest of the team will switch it on next week...

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:

I sincerely hope you are right

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
battye
Saintsational Legend

As I alluded to in another thread, at least he's got that performance out of the way today. No doubt he will be lining up a few extra times this week at training - he will be itching to put in a great performance next week.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Buckets wrote:

Like a tap. Because we're that good. Roo just shanks kicks to lull them into a false sense of security.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

He was really lazy with his kicking today and lazy is not a word that ever springs to mind about our captain.
The whole team was lazy.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
S.A Saint
Club Player

battye wrote:As I alluded to in another thread, at least he's got that performance out of the way today. No doubt he will be lining up a few extra times this week at training - he will be itching to put in a great performance next week.
disagree with that..against the tiger he kicked 3 goals 3..3 of his goals were direct cause to 2 50 metres penalties which resulted him being directly in front and 1 was a mark in the goal square...he kicked 3 behinds from set shots and a couple more that didnt make it or out of bounds..he well and truely has the yips at the moment..

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

S.A Saint wrote:
battye wrote:As I alluded to in another thread, at least he's got that performance out of the way today. No doubt he will be lining up a few extra times this week at training - he will be itching to put in a great performance next week.
disagree with that..against the tiger he kicked 3 goals 3..3 of his goals were direct cause to 2 50 metres penalties which resulted him being directly in front and 1 was a mark in the goal square...he kicked 3 behinds from set shots and a couple more that didnt make it or out of bounds..he well and truely has the yips at the moment..
It's all a ploy, I tell you. Part of Ross's master plan, if you believe all those who reckon yesterday went well.

saintlee
Club Player

S.A Saint wrote:
I agree, Rooey's set shots are going all over the place at the moment....its my single biggest worry for the finals....

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Surely it's a focus and mindset thing. If he was just kicking to someone 25m away, he would probably get it within a metre of him 19 times out of 20, but when you put some big sticks in front of him, he can miss the middle of the goals by 10m. Maybe he ought to just take aim at someone in the crowd behind and pretend he's kicking a pass to them. His field kicking is usually extremely good and the ball spins well, but put him in front of goal and he can shank them and spray them all over the place and do "helicopter punts", etc.
What I strongly believe he needs to do above all else is relax and not try to force it. Timing is everything. Training is for working on technique, etc, but in the matches you need to just concentrate on being relaxed and getting the timing right. If there's anything I've learned from watching heaps of golf over the years it's that the pro's say the driving range is for working on technique, but as soon as they step onto the tee for a tournament round, it's all about being relaxed and timing the ball well. I'm not sure Nick does that and it's no less important when kicking for goal, than swinging a club.
It was very interesting watching Jack Riewoldt and Nick kick for goal last week. I watched as Jack had this beautiful relaxed technique and nailed goal after goal, usually straight through the middle, while Nick was spraying them around. The big difference to me was that Nick had a very uncomfortable looking and jerky kicking action and looked like he was trying to kick the ball too hard. It's like he's trying to pierce the ball through some imaginary wall on the goalline. I firmly believe he needs to relax more and just time the thing. It's about how many go through, not how fast they go through.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sun 29 Aug 2010 1:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

had the lowest DE% yesterday

he'll be right come friday

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I've never seen Roo less passionate or less angry about his and the team's performance...to me that says volumes about what their intent was in Adelaide.

roxanne
Club Player

I love that you said 'augur well' and not 'all go well' as most commentators do. Such a relief for a pedant.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote:I've never seen Roo less passionate or less angry about his and the team's performance...to me that says volumes about what their intent was in Adelaide.
He sure as hell would have wanted to have kicked those goals, though, both on Saturday and against Richmond. His technique/conversion is not up to scratch. Thankfully, neither are those of many in the front half at Collingwood.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

No need to worry, he loves the G!

His kicking accuracy ground by ground I heard, he is streets ahead there!

They walk amongst us...

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Does not "augur" well for the finals.
:D

Last edited by Pwoit on Mon 30 Aug 2010 11:49am, edited 1 time in total.

StSteven
Club Player

Watching him run at the weekend I reckon he has lost some confidence in his hammy and this may be affecting his kicking as well.

StSteven
Club Player

Pwoit wrote:

ahh memories of fencing on the farm.......

matrix
Saintsational Legend

finally
i can stop calling that funny shaped thing i have in the shed a 'post hole digger'