The Bookends

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

boneless23
Club Player

The Bookends

I just watched last years Prelim and the thing that struck me most was how good both Kosi and Zac were in this game.

Both played strong, powerful footy that has been rarely seen by either of them this year.

If Kosi can continue to improve and Zac can get back to his best, we will go a long way in September.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Safe to say if Kosi and Zac are in our best players then we'll go a long way to winning most games we play. However....

I haven't the faith in Zac that a lot of others do. I'm going to sound like a broken record so wont list all my concerns with the way he plays, I'll just say, with a interupted prep, Zac is the one big worry and I'm just not sure he deserves to be in our best 22.

Kosi, well anyone watching closely over the last couple of games, he seems to have his confidence up a bit. Man its a great sight seeing Kos at full tilt, great time of year to be hitting some form big fella... oh have we waited for this moment!!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
FQF
SS Life Member

I'm not sure Zac is necessary against Geelong.

I think Blake can cover Mooney and Hawkins won't worry Fisher.

Unless we bring Zac in for the resting ruckman, I don't see a need.

Having said that, I have no doubt he will be playing. And Ross knows best.

boneless23
Club Player

You may be right about Zac in that if Sam, Blakey, and Jimmy can handle the opposition talls, he probably isn't in the 22 at the moment.

Like we are always told by the match committee, it may once again come down to the horses for courses approach. Against the Pies, I think we would go in without Zac yet against the Hawks and the Cats (if Mooney, Pods and Hawkins play forward) then Zac should get a gig.

We are all hoping Kosi can continue to play some good footy. He is the best pack mark in the comp when he is up and about and can cause blokes like Maxwell, O'Brien, Mackie and Enright to think twice about getting in his space.

FQF
SS Life Member

boneless23 wrote:You may be right about Zac in that if Sam, Blakey, and Jimmy can handle the opposition talls, he probably isn't in the 22 at the moment.

Like we are always told by the match committee, it may once again come down to the horses for courses approach. Against the Pies, I think we would go in without Zac yet against the Hawks and the Cats (if Mooney, Pods and Hawkins play forward) then Zac should get a gig.

We are all hoping Kosi can continue to play some good footy. He is the best pack mark in the comp when he is up and about and can cause blokes like Maxwell, O'Brien, Mackie and Enright to think twice about getting in his space.
Without Pods (when we play them), Pies and Cats forward set up is very similar.

Mooney + Hawkins = Cloke + Dawes

ThomasR
Club Player

Think it's pretty important that Zac gets up for this week, he is a player who relies on a bit of touch and being match-fit/match-aware which all goes towards building confidence - wouldn't like his first game back to be a final

Quixote
SS Life Member

^^^ Agreed. If he's gonna play finals he's got to play this week.

I'm quietly excited about what Kosi could do this finals series. Anyone notice watching the Richmond game (and the previous week, to lesser extent) how much weight he's lost recently? How much fitter he looked? It seemed nearly as if he'd come out of the end of long hard training stint...

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:^^^ Agreed. If he's gonna play finals he's got to play this week.

I'm quietly excited about what Kosi could do this finals series. Anyone notice watching the Richmond game (and the previous week, to lesser extent) how much weight he's lost recently? How much fitter he looked? It seemed nearly as if he'd come out of the end of long hard training stint...

Being contracted for another two seasons must have come as a relief to him and may be playing a part in his return to form. Job security would have been a concern after the season he's had.

older saint
SS Life Member

FQF wrote:I'm not sure Zac is necessary against Geelong.

I think Blake can cover Mooney and Hawkins won't worry Fisher.

Unless we bring Zac in for the resting ruckman, I don't see a need.

Having said that, I have no doubt he will be playing. And Ross knows best.
We cannot have Fisher on anyone who can puch to the square as unfornuately Like Gilbert he get snervous down there. Only Blake, Dawson and Gwilt to me seem comfortable enough at the true FB position. Expect to see Fisher on a floating HF like SJ and Baker perhaps get Chapman.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

Being contracted for another two seasons must have come as a relief to him and may be playing a part in his return to form. Job security would have been a concern after the season he's had.
One could say that if he has him have an excellent finals series it will be worth it even if he relapses next year.

Stanley is not yet ready...and Pattos is not good enough...so we need Kosi to play at least ok in the finals series.

Anything better would bea huge bonus.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
spert
Saintsational Legend

Zac does provide an option down back as Gilbert and Fisher are happier working with the loose ball than in a marking contest in front of goals, so I think Zac will be back