Steven Salopek!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sax
Club Player

Steven Salopek!

Hi All!
I know he's been mentioned before, but on Adelaide news tonight it said he was seriously weighing up a move home to Melbourne, the only thing he was waiting for is the appointment of Port's new senior coach.
Wasn't he a Saints supporter as a kid, we were going to take him until Carlton got caught cheating and still could've had him if D**head Thomas didn't trade a top 10 pick to Port for Barry Brooks (He was taken with that pick).
I'd give up our first round pick for this bloke, and maybe even a player for icing! What does everybody else think?
Last edited by sax on Wed 25 Aug 2010 11:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Steven Salopek!

sax wrote:Hi All!
I know he's been mentioned before, but on Adelaide news tonight it said he was seriously weighing up a move home to Melbourne, the only thing he was waiting for is the appointment of Port's new senior coach.
Wasn't he a Saints supporter as a kid, we were going to take him until Carlton got caught cheating and still could've had him if D**head Thomas didn't trade a top 10 pick to Port for Barry Brooks?
I'd give up our first round pick for this bloke, and maybe even a player for icing! What does everybody else think?
Injury cloud, not sure he is worth our top pickwith those question marks. We have a poor record of getting rid of our top picks with no names being required...

I'd love him at the Saints, but I would want the best available kid with our first selection.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
savatage
SS Life Member

Oh please God no. What is with all these threads for players from other clubs?

Salopek would probably get outsprinted by Ben Mac in a foot-race.

sax
Club Player

savatage wrote:Oh please God no. What is with all these threads for players from other clubs?

He's a fair bit better than the other duds that have been named!

savatage
SS Life Member

sax wrote:
savatage wrote:Oh please God no. What is with all these threads for players from other clubs?

Not really - how often has he consistently played good footy?

Your suggestion of a first round pick PLUS a player is taking the piss surely.

AlpineStars
Club Player

Good player, worth thinking about.

Wake me up when September ends.
sax
Club Player

savatage wrote:
sax wrote:

Not really - how often has he consistently played good footy?

Your suggestion of a first round pick PLUS a player is taking the piss surely.
I said MAYBE a player, and I didn't state which player,. Maybe an SA boy like Cahill just to ice it!

savatage
SS Life Member

Gotta get out of this mentality of trading first round draft picks for players with chequered pasts.

sax
Club Player

savatage wrote:Gotta get out of this mentality of trading first round draft picks for players with chequered pasts.
It's gonna be a compromised draft. If we can trade our draft picks for decent 20-25yo talent, then do it I say!
And besides injury, what "checkered" past does Salopek have?

savatage
SS Life Member

sax wrote:
savatage wrote:Gotta get out of this mentality of trading first round draft picks for players with chequered pasts.
It's gonna be a compromised draft. If we can trade our draft picks for decent 20-25yo talent, then do it I say!
I say let's try to identify the talent & find another Sam Fisher, Sam Gilbert, Rhys Stanley or James Gwilt rather than trade away yet another first round pick for a player who's shoulder dislocates at the sound of running water.

FQF
SS Life Member

Good player, but not the type that should be on our wish list.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Sure the GC are going to take the majority of the top picks this year, but finishing near the top means we wouldn't have those top picks anyway. Lets get our recruiters to earn their money and pick some decent kids with our lower picks.

Previous draft was supposed to be weak/compromised/whatever, but low/rookie picks have played and shown something. Scour through the drafts in the past and there are always kids falling through, did someone say Dane Swan?

What I'm trying to say is don't just use the excuse of a weak draft to load up on recycled's again. Salopek, looking at him seriously, he has to get his head and shoulders right, if he can do that, sure, get him with 40+ pick or trade a player who doesn't fit into our structure. But we shouldn't throw the world at a player like SS.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

St Ick wrote:Sure the GC are going to take the majority of the top picks this year, but finishing near the top means we wouldn't have those top picks anyway. Lets get our recruiters to earn their money and pick some decent kids with our lower picks.

Previous draft was supposed to be weak/compromised/whatever, but low/rookie picks have played and shown something. Scour through the drafts in the past and there are always kids falling through, did someone say Dane Swan?

What I'm trying to say is don't just use the excuse of a weak draft to load up on recycled's again. Salopek, looking at him seriously, he has to get his head and shoulders right, if he can do that, sure, get him with 40+ pick or trade a player who doesn't fit into our structure. But we shouldn't throw the world at a player like SS.
This draft has some very good depth in it due to 6 months of kids not being eligible for last year. GC will take a lot of the top end talent but there will be some gems to be found throughout the national and rookie drafts.

Complicating matters this year is the March Draft where a club can elect to leave a rookie list spot open & select a player from the VFL or a delisted AFL player.

super dooper
Club Player

In his 8 seasons of AFL he has only played more than 16 games in a season ONCE only averaging 14 games a year since 2007!!!!!!!!!

Considering we are hoping to be around for 25 games a year, odds are he would be missing when it really counts....

How many times did his shoulder pop out this year?

Invest in the draft i say...

bozza1980
Club Player

sax wrote:Wasn't he a Saints supporter as a kid, we were going to take him until Carlton got caught cheating and still could've had him if D**head Thomas didn't trade a top 10 pick to Port for Barry Brooks (He was taken with that pick).
Yes he was a saints supporter

No we didn't give up a top 10 pick for Barry Brooks, we gave up a first round pick was 18.

Considering Salopek went at 6, I would like to know how having pick 18 would have meant we could have picked him up.

We would have to have used our first pick, mmm, who did we use that on?? Oh, that's right Brendan Goddard.

That said, I would be happy for Salopek to end up at the Saints, although extremely happy that we landed Goddard, I do remember being a little sad for both he and Salopek, who before the salary cap bans, were both headed to the clubs they had grown up barracking for.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
sax
Club Player

bozza1980 wrote:
sax wrote:Wasn't he a Saints supporter as a kid, we were going to take him until Carlton got caught cheating and still could've had him if D**head Thomas didn't trade a top 10 pick to Port for Barry Brooks (He was taken with that pick).

No we didn't give up a top 10 pick for Barry Brooks, we gave up a first round pick was 18.

Considering Salopek went at 6, I would like to know how having pick 18 would have meant we could have picked him up.

We would have to have used our first pick, mmm, who did we use that on?? Oh, that's right Brendan Goddard.

That said, I would be happy for Salopek to end up at the Saints, although extremely happy that we landed Goddard, I do remember being a little sad for both he and Salopek, who before the salary cap bans, were both headed to the clubs they had grown up barracking for.
Just found this in a Herald Sun Article, we traded 6 and 31 for Barry Brooks! Should get your facts right before you have a crack at someone bozza!

"St Kilda has made a significant investment in Brooks, trading draft picks six and 31 to Port Adelaide in 2002 to lure him to Moorabbin and is set to give him possibly one last shot at senior level."

Here's the link http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 1112176171

And this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Brooks
Last edited by sax on Thu 26 Aug 2010 3:53pm, edited 2 times in total.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Softest player to have played for the Saints

Another opportunity awaits!
realdeal
Club Player

bozza1980 wrote:

Barry Brooks was traded at the end of the 2002 season to St Kilda in exchange for picks 7 (Steven Salopek) and 31 (Joel Perry).

sorry mate.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

bozza1980 wrote:
sax wrote:Wasn't he a Saints supporter as a kid, we were going to take him until Carlton got caught cheating and still could've had him if Thomas didn't trade a top 10 pick to Port for Barry Brooks

....I would be happy for Salopek to end up at the Saints, although extremely happy that we landed Goddard ......
I believe they traded Brooks for picks 8 & 33 or 35 which became 6 & 31 or 33 when Carlton were hammered for salary cap rorts :shock:
Try again
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Thu 26 Aug 2010 8:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stand your ground :shock:
saintly
Saintsational Legend

and don't you remember how lots on the forum were not happy when we did not pick salopek?

Bardon Saint
Club Player

Confirmed by himself on twitter that he is signing with port for another 2 years.