Cadyn Beetham

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

goods
Club Player

Cadyn Beetham

goods
Club Player

Fiora was pick 3! what the hell went on at richmond over the last decade??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

goods wrote:Fiora was pick 3! what the hell went on at richmond over the last decade??
He did play 140 games. There are many worse high picks than him. If Pav wasnt next on the list no one would even mention it as a bad pick.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

i never thought beetham looked that bad when he was mentally on, but he never quite seemed to have the mental toughness to make it as an elite footballer.

that said, we did only win nine game in his two years at the club. not that many players stood out as superstars in 01-02.

goods
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
goods wrote:Fiora was pick 3! what the hell went on at richmond over the last decade??
He did play 140 games. There are many worse high picks than him. If Pav wasnt next on the list no one would even mention it as a bad pick.
RICHMOND picked FIONA and TAMBLING over Lance and PAV

LOLOLOLO!!!!!!!!! where did they get their recruitment guy from the national school of ballet!

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Yet he managed to play plenty for us (not sure how manny) and we were in the top part of the ladder. Cant have been that bad. Often when you talk about the top few draft picks there is not much differance between the first few, and teams will pick what they need at that time.

I love this club
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

goods wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

LOLOLOLO!!!!!!!!! where did they get their recruitment guy from the national school of ballet!
Laugh all you like but our number one picks apart from Rooy and BJ havent done great over the last 10 years when compared to other players. Just look who we may have missed out when we got Beetham. He made Fiora look like Dal.

longtimesaint
Club Player

I remember being unhappy when we chose Beetham, as most of the media writers had suggested that Brad Green would be a good fit for the Saints at pick 10 or 11.
I have watched Brad Green play 200 games and now likely to be captain of Melbourne next year. -a very poor choice by Tim Watson who would be one of our worst coaches in 50 years.

One year will be our year
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:I remember being unhappy when we chose Beetham, as most of the media writers had suggested that Brad Green would be a good fit for the Saints at pick 10 or 11.
I have watched Brad Green play 200 games and now likely to be captain of Melbourne next year. -a very poor choice by Tim Watson who would be one of our worst coaches in 50 years.
How would you know if Tim Watson had any say in it. Surely it is up to the recruiters.

goods
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
goods wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Laugh all you like but our number one picks apart from Rooy and BJ havent done great over the last 10 years when compared to other players. Just look who we may have missed out when we got Beetham. He made Fiora look like Dal.
Our recruiting department has SMASHED richmonds!! They should have the most dominant list as they have been fishing in very very rich pools for over 10 years!

Fiona was a dud and one of the players grant played that was part of our shelf that went from superstar to dud, hence why we dont have a flag recently

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

goods wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
goods wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Our recruiting department has SMASHED richmonds!! They should have the most dominant list as they have been fishing in very very rich pools for over 10 years!

Fiona was a dud and one of the players grant played that was part of our shelf that went from superstar to dud, hence why we dont have a flag recently
Enlightening.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Fiona was a dud and one of the players grant played that was part of our shelf that went from superstar to dud, hence why we dont have a flag recently[/quote]

What does this mean?

I love this club
goods
Club Player

means we had no depth

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Beetham and Fiora.

Both had heaps of talent, but lost it above the shoulders.

Fiora had his best year with us. But his career was pretty average. Was the whipping boy at Richmond. Handed that baton to Tambling.

Beetham was a dirty word for many years.

Forged a decent career in SA? though.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
longtimesaint
Club Player

[quote="plugger66
How would you know if Tim Watson had any say in it. Surely it is up to the recruiters.[/quote]

this info in original article.
7. Cadyn Beetham – St Kilda, Pick 9 (1999)
The story of St Kilda overlooking Luke McPharlin and Robert Murphy for Cadyn Beetham at Tim Watson’s insistence has been floating around Moorabbin for a while now, but only now are they really starting to regret this one. With no pace and poor disposal, Beetham was a costly mistake.

One year will be our year
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:[quote="plugger66
How would you know if Tim Watson had any say in it. Surely it is up to the recruiters.
The story of St Kilda overlooking Luke McPharlin and Robert Murphy for Cadyn Beetham at Tim Watson’s insistence has been floating around Moorabbin for a while now, but only now are they really starting to regret this one. With no pace and poor disposal, Beetham was a costly mistake.[/quote]

The reporter said it. He also said this.

9. Aaron Fiora – Richmond, Pick 3 (1999)
This is one that haunts of Richmond fans everywhere. Aaron Fiora looked like a talented, damaging midfielder with pace to burn. He proved to be inconsistent, soft and was lugged with the dreaded ‘outside’ midfielder tag. A switch to St Kilda last year has yielded only mild improvement.

and this

10. Nick Smith – Melbourne, Pick 15 (2002)
Exactly what Nick Smith does at Melbourne these days is anyone’s guess. While he’s still on the Demons’ list, his three-game career looks unlikely to scale any great heights.

and this

8. Dylan Smith – Kangaroos, Pick 6 (2000)
Dylan Who? Yes, Dylan Smith. Had ability, but couldn’t do anything with it at either the Kangaroos or Fremantle, and is currently searching for a new club after the Dockers gave him the heave-ho.

So Fiora joined last year, Nick Smith is still at Melbourne and Dylan Smith who hasnt played for 5 years is still searching for a club. That article has more holes in it than my jocks. Why would I believe Watson wanted Beetham.

shmic_s
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

The story of St Kilda overlooking Luke McPharlin and Robert Murphy for Cadyn Beetham at Tim Watson’s insistence has been floating around Moorabbin for a while now, but only now are they really starting to regret this one. With no pace and poor disposal, Beetham was a costly mistake.

This is one that haunts of Richmond fans everywhere. Aaron Fiora looked like a talented, damaging midfielder with pace to burn. He proved to be inconsistent, soft and was lugged with the dreaded ‘outside’ midfielder tag. A switch to St Kilda last year has yielded only mild improvement.

and this

Exactly what Nick Smith does at Melbourne these days is anyone’s guess. While he’s still on the Demons’ list, his three-game career looks unlikely to scale any great heights.

and this

Dylan Who? Yes, Dylan Smith. Had ability, but couldn’t do anything with it at either the Kangaroos or Fremantle, and is currently searching for a new club after the Dockers gave him the heave-ho.

So Fiora joined last year, Nick Smith is still at Melbourne and Dylan Smith who hasnt played for 5 years is still searching for a club. That article has more holes in it than my jocks. Why would I believe Watson wanted Beetham.
The article looks to have been written around 2006.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Hawthorn took Roughead with thier first pick.
Not just Richmond overlooked Franklin.

philtee
Club Player

Beetham wasn't that bad a player, but to me it looked like his heart was never in it. Had all the attributes to be a 200 gamer, but spectacularly lost interest.

FQF
SS Life Member

shmic_s wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

and this

and this

The article looks to have been written around 2006.
The article was written in November 2005. It says that at the top of the page.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

People love to ignore the fact that players are drafted based on their achievement in junior footy. There's a multitude of reasons why top picks don't become superstars and why late picks prosper.

Fiora was a gun junior & blitzed in the Under 18 carnival. Richmond thought they were getting a lightning quick runner with elite footskills.

Tambling was the same, just a freak junior but has not translated that to senior elite footy.

Beetham's issues with the grog & lack of work ethic were well know.

With X it was his body, same with Ball.

People forget that Ball was the outstanding junior & was going to go #1 until Hawthorn suffered the backlash from it's members over the trading of Croad. Ball was not going to play senior footy in 2002 due to school commitments but Hodge was. Hawthorn decided that they needed to have their #1 pick playing & that is what swayed them to Hodge.

You can pot clubs all you like for poor drafting but their are missed opportunities in every draft.

axcellence
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:I remember being unhappy when we chose Beetham, as most of the media writers had suggested that Brad Green would be a good fit for the Saints at pick 10 or 11.
Surely you would know :P

Pretty sure there was a news article on the following:-

1. John Beveridge categorically stated that he wanted Brad Green but was overruled.

2. The year before pav went on #3, he had flown pavlich in from interstate to show to the coach about picking this pavlich bloke as a late pick. The coach said, "he isn't the type of player we need". Next year's draft he went at #3.

The leave it up to the recruitment people theory only took hold later on at St Kilda.

PS Michael Barlow did train with St Kilda but didn't get picked...

saint3d
Club Player

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Watson signed Beetham's death warrant when he described him as 'a cross between Robert Harvey and Leigh Matthews'.

older saint
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:People love to ignore the fact that players are drafted based on their achievement in junior footy. There's a multitude of reasons why top picks don't become superstars and why late picks prosper.

Fiora was a gun junior & blitzed in the Under 18 carnival. Richmond thought they were getting a lightning quick runner with elite footskills.

Tambling was the same, just a freak junior but has not translated that to senior elite footy.

Beetham's issues with the grog & lack of work ethic were well know.

With X it was his body, same with Ball.

People forget that Ball was the outstanding junior & was going to go #1 until Hawthorn suffered the backlash from it's members over the trading of Croad. Ball was not going to play senior footy in 2002 due to school commitments but Hodge was. Hawthorn decided that they needed to have their #1 pick playing & that is what swayed them to Hodge.

You can pot clubs all you like for poor drafting but their are missed opportunities in every draft.
someone right on the money rather than the popular opinion. Remember AHw and WB both passed onbuddy due to his party nature also

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

This is quite strange, I was talking to a mate of mine about Beetham this afternoon!!

Anyway, I actually liked him when he played, first couple of games showed a little bit, but as has been said, obviously something wasn't on with him above the shoulders.

A little like Justin Sweeney, didn't disgrace himself in his only game and everyone begged for him to get a gig when he was playing well with Casey. But above the shoulders the kid was never much chop. I often wonder how we would be going had we persisted with him, freakish goal sense (cross between Stevie J & Brennan IMO).... anyway, my point is (and I know I've gone off track) that if you aren't mentally tough enough, it doesn't matter how good you are you aren't going to cut it at AFL level!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!