Ruck Combos!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Ruck Combos!

Hopefully Gards is right, so against the rucks of the other contenders, how do we fare?

Collingwood: Jolly (support from Brown)
Geelong: Ottens (hawkins/Blake support)
Bulldogs: Hudson (Roughead/Minson support)
Hawks: Renouf (Skipper/Taylor support)
Freo: Sandilands (Bradley support)
Sydney: Mumford (Pyke support)

What are our strengths and weaknesses against these ruckmen and combinations? How can we exploit opposition weaknesses and our strengths to full advantage? Do we have Gardi and Big Mac drifting forward whenever they can? Are there occasions when they may have to drop back and fill the hole in front of the defence? Which of these ruck combos is most detrimental to our chances, and how can we counteract it?

The Saints are coming!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I'd say we match up pretty evenly again most except for being well behind Freo and comfortably ahead of Hawthorn.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i think the big mummy's buggered for this year.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I think MG is level or behind most of those except renouf but I reckon Ben has come on enought to be ahead of most of the second ruckmen. I expect Ben to have a huge role to play in the finals.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I think MG is level or behind most of those except renouf but I reckon Ben has come on enought to be ahead of most of the second ruckmen. I expect Ben to have a huge role to play in the finals.
I wouldn't underestimate Gardi, but agree re Ben. Already a player and will only get better.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:I think MG is level or behind most of those except renouf but I reckon Ben has come on enought to be ahead of most of the second ruckmen. I expect Ben to have a huge role to play in the finals.
Gardiner is probably not as consistent as guys like Jolly and Hudson, true.

However, he does have his occasional very good and influential game where he can easily match it (and surpass) these guys standard consistent good effort.

And I agree with Mcevoy. I'd say he is the best 'support ruckman' out of that list.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plus kosi, who can provide quite a bit around the ground if needed, particularly in the type of form he is running into.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Good point bigcarl, we always have a third option in Kosi to play in there if the game requires it.

rexy
SS Life Member

Blake is better than Skipper.

Doesnt stop Hodge Mitchell Sewell and Burgoyne from getting clearances though.

Carlton are the side you left out and actually have a very tall and quite athletic ruck division, even without Kruezer.

Sandilands obviously the stand out in the finals if he is fit, and Hudson the X factor for the dogs as he is such a good clearance player.

Must be said I am happier with our total ruck division tham I have been in many years, maybe ever. Have 6 guys with AFL ruck experience, have contrast from genuine big bodies to more followers and a super athelete in Stanley should we need to use him, and I havent counted Blake who could be used if there was a mid match emergency.

Maybe this year?
axcellence
Club Player

if Ben maintains his spot in the team... he & Gardi will be a premiership ruckmen by 25 Sep 2010.

He has not been in a losing game barring 2-3 against essendon.