NIcky D's first effort- Age article

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

NIcky D's first effort- Age article

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/e ... 128h1.html
Education is giving players a kick along - now and for life after football Nick Dal Santo
August 18, 2010
Luckily St Kilda has been really good in terms of understanding that personal and professional development is an important part of a player's journey through footy. The coaching and support staff are very encouraging with off-field opportunities and education.

I know with exams they are very flexible and have in the past changed training times to fit in with uni.

The fact that Open Universities gives you the flexibility to do as many - or as few - subjects as you can has also been really helpful. You can defer at any time, and pick it up again when it suits.

I've just become an ambassador for Open Universities. Part of the role is to spread the word among the players about the benefits of study and how you can make it work for you.

At the same time I'm also doing a bit of work experience in an office for the Skilled Group, a labour-hire company. Yes, I'm 26 and have just stepped into my first office job!
Nick's growing up :)
well done Nick. First By- Line

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/n ... 5906128318
ST KILDA star Nick Dal Santo says the Saints must continue to improve if they are to be a threat in September

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Crash

I agree, a good article by No 26...but what's with the AFLPA giving grants to players to undertake study?? Surely these would be some of the better-paid uni students going around, yet they need grants to help them on their way? Isn't this just another example of the welfare mentality that society is increasingly taking on?
The AFLPA shouldn't need to pay players to study - the players should *want* to do it enough to pay their own course fees.

saint vince
Club Player

Crash wrote:I agree, a good article by No 26...but what's with the AFLPA giving grants to players to undertake study?? Surely these would be some of the better-paid uni students going around, yet they need grants to help them on their way? Isn't this just another example of the welfare mentality that society is increasingly taking on?
The AFLPA shouldn't need to pay players to study - the players should *want* to do it enough to pay their own course fees.
It is the players money so they should do whatever they want with it.

Should I tell your union (if you are a member of one) how to spend there money.

Crash

saint vince wrote:It is the players money so they should do whatever they want with it.

Exactly - it is the players money - so why charge them whatever fee the AFLPA charges in the first place if they're only going to give some of it back to (some of) the players? It is this mentality that is increasingly ruining this country. Does the AFLPA, or the union, or the government think they can do a better job with the players money, or your money, or my money than we would individually? Leave it in the players pockets, or your pockets, or my pockets and let us as individuals decide how we want to spend our money.

Why should the players who are not studying subsidise those who are? Why should the person who doesn't have kids subsidise those who do (via extra Centrelink payments)? Why should I pay more tax so the government can subsidise their favourite project/lobby group?

Rant over!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint vince wrote:
Crash wrote:I agree, a good article by No 26...but what's with the AFLPA giving grants to players to undertake study?? Surely these would be some of the better-paid uni students going around, yet they need grants to help them on their way? Isn't this just another example of the welfare mentality that society is increasingly taking on?
It is the players money so they should do whatever they want with it.

Some of the younger players are a bit overwhelmed with all the fame and money and forget about a future after footy......many players only last a few years in the AFL are screwed after that.

Their future after footy is a huge issue - bugger all players get a well paid coaching gig or job in the media - most have to start again.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

NDS, possibly the most well-organised individual in the history of Australian sport.