Younger players development

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MadSaintFan
Club Player

Younger players development

I havent been able to see much of the Sandy games this year so Im hoping a few of the beach rd regulars can help me here....

Of the younger Saints players currently at Sandy who has really improved this year and made big inroads?

Does anyone see Simpkin or Gaertner becoming key positions in our backline in the future? Personally I see our backline as our long term weakness.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

i think the midfield is going to be the weakness.

the backline will be filled in future by simpkin, maybe geartner. however, if armitage goes to gold coast, that is 4 years of work for a mid fielder, that the saints don't have.

who are the future mid fielders?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: Younger players development

MadSaintFan wrote:I havent been able to see much of the Sandy games this year so Im hoping a few of the beach rd regulars can help me here....

Of the younger Saints players currently at Sandy who has really improved this year and made big inroads?

Does anyone see Simpkin or Gaertner becoming key positions in our backline in the future? Personally I see our backline as our long term weakness.
Our backline is our strength, because it relies on the structures, not the personal. Simpkin will be a player, not sure about Gaertner. Tommy Walsh will be good if he stays.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
MadSaintFan
Club Player

Your spot on - our defense rarely gets caught 1 on 1 and thats the structures Ross has implemented. But I dont see Zac being the answer down there and Blakey would have 2 years left maybe?

Fish and Gilb are brilliant rebounding defenders but we need 1-2 blokes who can take the big strong key forwards and shut them down 1on1. If Simpkin or Gaertner can do that I'd be very happy.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintly wrote:who are the future mid fielders?
When is the future? There's still at least a few years left in BJ, CJ, Dal, Gram Joey, Ray and Schneider. Hayes doesn't look like he's on the verge of retirement either. So unless something breaks, there still aren't going to be many spots for midfielders in the coming years.

Even if Armo leaves, I don't think we're in danger of falling off any time soon. The upward trend on Al Smith is really exciting. He was very raw when he came here, but he's picked up a lot very fast. Jack Steven has shown a lot of ability. Eddy and Geary are natural midfielders. Winmar is pretty interesting if he can get healthy.

We've got plenty of depth to fill any holes that may emerge. There will be more drafts and more opportunities to fill other holes. We should be able to stay up toard the top for quite a while yet.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
felixleo
Club Player

How has the Irishman been going? begorrah

Are you gonna be the one?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Younger players development

Bernard Shakey wrote:Tommy Walsh will be good if he stays.
let's hope he does. we could do with a spare bookend.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

From the younger players the ones I would currently see as possibly making it are:

Stanley: Ruck/key forward: definite
Steven: Small fwd/Mid : definite (can play midfield or small forward...as he gets older will probably spend more time in the midfield)

A Smith: HF/Outside mid :looks to have what it takes. Another pre-season and with a bigger body he could start to get senior games next year.

Heyne: HF: Looked ok when he came in for a few games this year. If he continues to work hard he could be ok.

Simpkin: Medium Defender. Dare I say it...Blake in waiting?

Armo: Can play AFL level footy...his problem like Ball is that he we already have Lenny, Joey and Dal.

After the above group you get to the less likelier group:

Lynch: Medium to Tallish Fwd or back: At times looks good. At other times woeful. Lacks a bit of pace. In todays game it is not enough to be a mark and kick forward and so he needs to work hard to broaden his game.

Walsh: Key Fwd or back. Is till very raw, but has huge talent...but has yet to complete his first year of footie. Hopefully he will stay on..but it is early days yet.

Gaernter: Key back or No2 ruck. Athletic freak who is becoming a better footballer. I quite fancy him and hope they persevere with him as he seems to be getting into the swing of things.

Already good enough, but will get better:

Eddy and Geary. With more games both will likely get midfield time.

We are not dead yet

while I know that many are saying our window is closed when I look at our senior players I only see King going next season. Gardi I would see as having another year in him....and bu then Ben and Stanley will be ready.

Midfield wise....Lenny I would see as having at least two more seasons..the rest more.

Milne is arguably having his best year yet...so next year should play on. Steven is waiting in the wings.

Full back??? Zac is ok...but it would be nice to have someone better.

Blake = Simpkin

Baker = Geary

FF. It would be nice to have someone that generated a few more goals. Our options are thin on the ground here. Walsh is along way off. Unless someone pushes up it may be Ben and Stanley sharing Ruck and a Key forward spot

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
MadSaintFan
Club Player

Thanks for that post SaintRising.

Im interested in what youve said about Tom Lynch. Our team is crying out for a medium forward who can lead up and takle hard. Both attributes I thought Lynch was good at. I saw him as a replacement for Aaron Hamill - maybe not to that ability but by playing the same role. From what youve written there it sounds like he has alot of work to do.

Gaertner excites me - saw some excellant things from him in the NAB Cup. Really hope he continues to improve. 199cm and runs like the wind - thats a pretty rare combination!