No reward for finishing first?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Badlands
Club Player

No reward for finishing first?

Bit surprised to hear Sheahan's bleating today and again on the couch this evening about the lack of reward for Collingwood finishing 1st after being "far and away" the best team in the regular season.

Can someone ask him how this differs from us finishing first after almost going through an entire season undefeated but then having to play Collingwood at their home ground and then the Bulldogs - again at the MCG?

I might have amnesia but I can't remember him coming out in vocal criticism of the lack of reward for our efforts over the course of last season.

I don't have a problem with the way things panned out for the draw for us last season, but can someone explain why things are all of a sudden so drastically different for Collingwood this year?

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Herald Sun. Collingwood. Sell more papers. Can be the only reason for his timely bleat.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Coll can be rewarded by getting a HOME GAME FINAL followed by a HOME GROUND Prelim if they win.
No advantage? Pfftt!
And the GF is played on the HOME ground they will play about 17 games on this year!
Oh - can I ask if we had this advantage last year? Or if the Cats do? What a spurious pile of bulls***.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Final 7. Ditch the double chance and give the top team a first round bye. It would be fantastic and will never, ever happen. I'd like to make the argument that ditching the crappy semis would probably increase interest in the other games - especially since they'd all be elitmination games. Somebody from the MCC would probably flatline in the snow at the thought of all the lost revenue. I'm probably in the minority, but I would happily pay the price of a ticket to the semis each year to get rid of the semis.

And the Pies do get and advantage - they gets to wear their traditional black Adidas jumper instead of their clash jumper. You know - the white Adidas jumper that looks more like the one they've worn for most of their existence.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Did 1st posi do US any good in the end? :roll:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Looking for the reintroduction of the Challenge System to get the Pies another Premiership?

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

hmmm...what happens if we both make it to the big one this year? Pies v Saints. Their home game. Would the AFL allow us both to wear our home jumpers?
tbh, i hate our clash jumper, i dont want to look back in 20 years time of Roo holding up the cup in that rubbish, although i guess anything is better than what Baldock had on in 66.

but seriously, i just dont think the pies will make it.
Pies v Dogs
Cats v Saints

both us and pies win, so prelim =
Pies v Cats
Saints v Dogs

GF Cats v Saints

FT Gee 11.10.76 Stk 17.13.115
100,089 at the MCG on a fine Saturday afternoon :)

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: No reward for finishing first?

Badlands wrote:Bit surprised to hear Sheahan's bleating today and again on the couch this evening about the lack of reward for Collingwood finishing 1st after being "far and away" the best team in the regular season.

Can someone ask him how this differs from us finishing first after almost going through an entire season undefeated but then having to play Collingwood at their home ground and then the Bulldogs - again at the MCG?

I might have amnesia but I can't remember him coming out in vocal criticism of the lack of reward for our efforts over the course of last season.

I don't have a problem with the way things panned out for the draw for us last season, but can someone explain why things are all of a sudden so drastically different for Collingwood this year?

good point...he pissed me off as well....but mike has a habit of doing that......dismissing the teams effort at the weekend as merely a training run had the sme effect too.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Badlands wrote:Bit surprised to hear Sheahan's bleating today and again on the couch this evening about the lack of reward for Collingwood finishing 1st after being "far and away" the best team in the regular season.

good point...he pissed me off as well....but mike has a habit of doing that......dismissing the teams effort at the weekend as merely a training run had the sme effect too.....
The Hawks had a pretty lousy training run last week, no wonder they lost again. :roll:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Colingwood Collingwood Collingwood
Blah Blah Blah

:)

sainter104
Club Player

to be fair as we all know there would be no afl without colon-wood.
should they finnish top they should be aloud to play at a ground of their choosing (probably vic.park) AND whoever dare to play them not be aloud any interchange at all, In fact maybe have to play with 16

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

We had a significantly better year than them last year. At this point we hadn't lost. In the end we dropped 2. Collingsook are 1.5 games WORSE. Why bring up the topic now? There can be only one explanation. Sheahan was worded up by Pies PR. Sheahan in turn went: "could be a four day runner...hmmm....sales....hmmm...ching ching...."

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Again it is what people what to read in papers and remember what has been said previously. They arent just saying there should be a reward for finishing first this year. Also said it last year when we were on top and nearly every previous year.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:...dismissing the teams effort at the weekend as merely a training run had the sme effect too.....
History tells us that you don't want Sheahan on the bandwagon.

He, like Patrick Smith, has an amazing record of jumping on moments before things go bad - and jumping off just prior to things coming good!

As for the OP, the AFL lost me almost completely when we played a 'home' prelim against Sydney in 2005 at a ground that they had played at more than us during the year.
Then we played a 'home' final the following year against Melbourne at their home ground.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Again it is what people what to read in papers and remember what has been said previously. They arent just saying there should be a reward for finishing first this year. Also said it last year when we were on top and nearly every previous year.
I certainly don't recall such vehemence, Plugger. He was 'genuinely' aghast last night.

Sheahan is a canny newspaper man. He knows who reads his rag.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Mike should be a polly just speaking to the biggest group on issues that appeal to their self interest.

Now he needs to find a minority club with fewer members and no public voice and start pointing at the way they run their club. I don't know who? A club with less members and a few off field issues this year would be good. Any one?

saint3d
Club Player

I thought there was a monetary prize for the minor premiership.

Also you get to play the team that finished fourth and obviously haven't performed as well as you during the year.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Poor old Collingwood,

I suppose they'll just have to settle for playing the last half of the entire home and away season on their home ground, the MCG as compensation!

How many games at the MCG in a row 7, 8, 10? leading into the finals!

FAIR DINKUM, Sheahan is a FAIR DINKUM c**k smoker!

And Malthouse was complaining in the press about St kilda's fixturing!
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Poor old Collingwood,

I suppose they'll just have to settle for playing the last half of the entire home and away season on their home ground, the MCG as compensation!

How many games at the MCG in a row 7, 8, 10? leading into the finals!

FAIR DINKUM, Sheahan is a FAIR DINKUM c**k smoker!

And Malthouse was complaining in the press about St kilda's fixturing!
It does beggar belief sometimes. But any Pies news is better than other news.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

There is a big reward for finishing first this year.

You get to avoid playing the Saints first up!!!!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:And Malthouse was complaining in the press about St kilda's fixturing!
he (and his team and supporters) are obsessed with st kilda. they hate us.

in a perfect world, we play them in the grand final and win by a point ... again, milne kicking the winning point after the siren from a dubious umpiring decision. steven baker wins the norm smith medal.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
barks4eva wrote:And Malthouse was complaining in the press about St kilda's fixturing!
he (and his team and supporters) are obsessed with st kilda. they hate us.

in a perfect world, we play them in the grand final and win by a point ... again, milne kicking the winning point after the siren from a dubious umpiring decision. steven baker wins the norm smith medal.

i like it..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saints94
SS Life Member

Who does Shehan go for ?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:Who does Shehan go for ?
He claims to barrack for Melbourne

Sainterman
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
Saints94 wrote:Who does Shehan go for ?
He claims to barrack for Melbourne
Not sure why but I had thought it was Carlton...