New Back Coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Behind Play
Club Player

New Back Coach

With SOS going at the end of the year, who will be our next back line coach.
We should attempt to bring Max back from the filth.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: New Back Coach

Behind Play wrote:With SOS going at the end of the year, who will be our next back line coach.
D Milburn

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:With SOS going at the end of the year, who will be our next back line coach.
Why? Is he a good coach? That should be our ONLY consideration I reckon. Not just b/c he played 200 games with us. Champion player, and by the sounds of things, a terrific bloke, BUT I want the best coach, not a favourite son. If it turns out the favourite son is also the best back coach then yes, I agree.

SaintTom
Club Player

I like the idea of Milburn. Would obviously be a risk as there is no way to tell how good he would be, but he would also give us another, more recent look inside the workings of Geelong since Tudor.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Trying to think of quality defenders that may be retiring, Glass?

Oh, and we should look at Goodwin as an assistant....
Last edited by SainterK on Thu 05 Aug 2010 1:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

SaintTom wrote:I like the idea of Milburn. Would obviously be a risk as there is no way to tell how good he would be, but he would also give us another, more recent look inside the workings of Geelong since Tudor.
I agree. I would prefer the club look at how other clubs have done things as well. Especially clubs like the cats. Certainly hasn't hurt having Leigh Tudor.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Also who do you think should be our next midfield coach?

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Saints94 wrote:Also who do you think should be our next midfield coach?
Goodwin!

The Saints are coming!
Saints94
SS Life Member

True Blue Sainter wrote:
Goodwin!
Yeah sounds good, or even bring back Banger.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Saints94 wrote:
True Blue Sainter wrote:
Goodwin!
Yeah sounds good, or even bring back Banger.
door's always open for banger

Behind Play
Club Player

Moods wrote:
Why? Is he a good coach? That should be our ONLY consideration I reckon. Not just b/c he played 200 games with us. Champion player, and by the sounds of things, a terrific bloke, BUT I want the best coach, not a favourite son. If it turns out the favourite son is also the best back coach then yes, I agree.
Apart from being one of the best defenders when he played, he is doing a great job as the defensive coach at collingwood.
And yes, he is a favourite son some one with passion for the club.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:
Moods wrote:
Apart from being one of the best defenders when he played, he is doing a great job as the defensive coach at collingwood.
Why is he doing a great job? The pies are playing great footy in all positions. Does this means Rob Harvey is doing a terrible job at the blues as midfield coach?

Personally, rather than fill the club with ex players, I would rather the club find the best personnel within the league. Blokes like Harves and Maxy have spent their entire career at the saints. I prefer a different set of eyes/ideas from other successful clubs. Max and Banger will always be welcome back, and if not aligned to other clubs, any assistance they can give would always be appreciated I reckon.

I see some bomber supporters screaming for Hird to come back and coach his old club and I just think, Why? Because he was a gun player? He seems like a naturally gifted footballer who hated the regimented style of AFL. Why would he be a great coach?

Having said all this, I'm not saying that Max shouldn't be back coach, just questioning your reasons why. Many supporters say 'get that ex champion back to the club' It's a romantic notion that sometimes is not logical.

The pies have done that with Buckley. It may prove to be an inspired decision as Bucks has done a reasonable apprenticeship and looks like he was born to be involved in AFL as a player and a coach. However I reckon the way the pies are going at the moment I reckon it's a mistake. Pies are flying with what is still a good to above average list that looks like will keep improving. Whatever we all think of Malthouse, he's a bloody good coach. Why would you retire off a coach at the peak of his powers for a younger untried coach?

Behind Play
Club Player

Moods wrote:
Behind Play wrote:
Moods wrote:
Why is he doing a great job? The pies are playing great footy in all positions. Does this means Rob Harvey is doing a terrible job at the blues as midfield coach?

Personally, rather than fill the club with ex players, I would rather the club find the best personnel within the league. Blokes like Harves and Maxy have spent their entire career at the saints. I prefer a different set of eyes/ideas from other successful clubs. Max and Banger will always be welcome back, and if not aligned to other clubs, any assistance they can give would always be appreciated I reckon.

I see some bomber supporters screaming for Hird to come back and coach his old club and I just think, Why? Because he was a gun player? He seems like a naturally gifted footballer who hated the regimented style of AFL. Why would he be a great coach?

Having said all this, I'm not saying that Max shouldn't be back coach, just questioning your reasons why. Many supporters say 'get that ex champion back to the club' It's a romantic notion that sometimes is not logical.

The pies have done that with Buckley. It may prove to be an inspired decision as Bucks has done a reasonable apprenticeship and looks like he was born to be involved in AFL as a player and a coach. However I reckon the way the pies are going at the moment I reckon it's a mistake. Pies are flying with what is still a good to above average list that looks like will keep improving. Whatever we all think of Malthouse, he's a bloody good coach. Why would you retire off a coach at the peak of his powers for a younger untried coach?
Couldn't agree more regarding your comments about Malthouse/Buckley. This was a notion Eddie had which may cause him to have egg on his face.

As for Max, to a certain extent you are correct, we don't require club legends, we want people to assist in the improvement of our list. However I feel he ticks the boxs, it just so happens he is a person who is loyal to his club. On the other hand bringing in outsiders gives us a different aspect to how other clubs work.

I still like Max as a coach.

Robert is a different story.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:
Moods wrote:
Behind Play wrote:
Moods wrote:

Couldn't agree more regarding your comments about Malthouse/Buckley. This was a notion Eddie had which may cause him to have egg on his face.

As for Max, to a certain extent you are correct, we don't require club legends, we want people to assist in the improvement of our list. However I feel he ticks the boxs, it just so happens he is a person who is loyal to his club. On the other hand bringing in outsiders gives us a different aspect to how other clubs work.

I still like Max as a coach.

Robert is a different story.
Fair enough.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

robert harvey not beyond the rhelms of possibility in my opinion.
max on the other hand would be happy that he got a good price for his IP.

carlton would make it hard for banger but if you think about it, he's done all he can with that group, gained some experience yet still has to travel to that dump every day and deal with the egos.

his IP would be the only thing that carlton would want to protect.
there's little doubt he would be happier working with a better group closer to home for the same money.

Behind Play
Club Player

ChicagoSaint wrote:robert harvey not beyond the rhelms of possibility in my opinion.

carlton would make it hard for banger but if you think about it, he's done all he can with that group, gained some experience yet still has to travel to that dump every day and deal with the egos.

there's little doubt he would be happier working with a better group closer to home for the same money.
Seaford much closer to home

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Behind Play wrote:
ChicagoSaint wrote:robert harvey not beyond the rhelms of possibility in my opinion.

Seaford much closer to home
big tip that carlton are a mess anyway

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

could be a few quallity assistants from the WCE looking for new homes next year sumich burns .... heck neil craig might be on the market by next year

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 5902311109

St Kilda ruckman Steven King could take up a coaching job with the Saints next year. Source: Herald Sun
RUCKMAN Steven King is set to be offered a coaching position with the Saints next year.

King, who is out injured and increasingly unlikely to play again, is expected to be one of several new faces on Ross Lyon's 2011 coaching panel
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 5902311109

St Kilda ruckman Steven King could take up a coaching job with the Saints next year. Source: Herald Sun
RUCKMAN Steven King is set to be offered a coaching position with the Saints next year.

King, who is out injured and increasingly unlikely to play again, is expected to be one of several new faces on Ross Lyon's 2011 coaching panel
I like it, he is already coaching at some level isn't he...McEvoy has taken steps forward this year, credits a lot of it to Steven King.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
saintbrat wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 5902311109

I like it, he is already coaching at some level isn't he...McEvoy has taken steps forward this year, credits a lot of it to Steven King.
he is in the Box at Sandy often
and he and Lenny help out at Oakley Chargers- along with a few other AFL players- Gia is one I think ( one week at a time) - I think Gia said it was aprt of a Coaching course they are doing.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
goodie
Club Player

Names I hope we look at: Justin Leppitsch, Danny Frawley, Max Hudghton, Sean Wellman, Peter Dean. Glen Jakovich is another, no coaching experience, but he was a superb centre half back and it would mean we wouldn't have to listen to him commentate any more.

Schillaci
Club Player

goodie wrote:Names I hope we look at: Justin Leppitsch, Danny Frawley, Max Hudghton, Sean Wellman, Peter Dean. Glen Jakovich is another, no coaching experience, but he was a superb centre half back and it would mean we wouldn't have to listen to him commentate any more.
Spud. My first thought.
Surprised it took so long for someone to mention him...unless they did I scrolled through quickly and have had a couple of beers. :wink:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

For our back coach you need someone that not only can teach defensive skills, but also can marshal great offensive play.

Your backline needs to be the springboard of attack.

I am not sure Spud has the required skill-set.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

spuds a commentator - get someone who played this century.

“Yeah….nah””