ATTENTION SAINTS FANS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

ATTENTION SAINTS FANS

As you may be aware Nicky Winmar came back to Warburton for the 2000 Premiership reunion. While back Nick met his grandson Sunny for the first time. Nick has decided that he wishes to stay permanatly so he can be closer to his family. The problem for Nick is his financial situation.

Nicky has made the decision to ease some of his financial burden that he will offer all his trophies and his StKilda Team of the Century framed jumper presented by the club to him. The trophies include two Best and Fairest Cups an All Australian Award and many others.

The Team of The Century jumper is obviously a one only and has all his acheivement woven into the front and has a signed photo and brass plaque inside the frame

I am sad that it has come to this for Nick but as he has told me countless times he doesnt need them to tell him what hes acheived. Id love for a Saint fan to aquire any of the items. Thanks Hump

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Re: ATTENTION SAINTS FANS

CURLY wrote:As you may be aware Nicky Winmar came back to Warburton for the 2000 Premiership reunion. While back Nick met his grandson Sunny for the first time. Nick has decided that he wishes to stay permanatly so he can be closer to his family. The problem for Nick is his financial situation.

Nicky has made the decision to ease some of his financial burden that he will offer all his trophies and his StKilda Team of the Century framed jumper presented by the club to him. The trophies include two Best and Fairest Cups an All Australian Award and many others.

The Team of The Century jumper is obviously a one only and has all his acheivement woven into the front and has a signed photo and brass plaque inside the frame

I am sad that it has come to this for Nick but as he has told me countless times he doesnt need them to tell him what hes acheived. Id love for a Saint fan to aquire any of the items. Thanks Hump
Can you please PM me Curly with more detail. We should speak to the club.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Is part of the problem that our club didn't help him enough re managing his money?

I don't know.

Whatever the case is, I'm with Curly....we need to help one of greatest players.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Curly,
I've just sent you a pm about this.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

doesn't anyone want to discuss it on here?

PM me with what's going on :lol:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Looks like things are already organised.

Hope things work out, Curly....and Nicky.

You know we will help.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Idealy Cuz would love to get back into the AFL scene in some capacity next year. Im hopeful somthing can be sorted out before his trophies are split up. Thanks for the PMs Milan and Mr Magic if anyone wants to discuss this more PM me and I will give you my number. Cheers Humpa

mustangjack
Club Player

If my football club wont do something about this , i will donate my $ 500 odd membership next year to nicky and they can go to hell , ffs they pulled him out of the scrub away from his family , its time to look after our own . Time to give saints , and to all the players who took 5 cents in the dollar to save the club i hope to god a little bit has fallen into your bank account after all these years. S T LOYALTY

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

mustangjack wrote:If my football club wont do something about this , i will donate my $ 500 odd membership next year to nicky and they can go to hell , ffs they pulled him out of the scrub away from his family , its time to look after our own . Time to give saints , and to all the players who took 5 cents in the dollar to save the club i hope to god a little bit has fallen into your bank account after all these years. S T LOYALTY
Dont think you can blame the club for the situation Nicky is in at the moment. Nicky himself has said he only has himself to blame.

It must be said though there have been a lot of people who have sponged off him over the years. :evil:

Grrrrr
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
mustangjack wrote:If my football club wont do something about this , i will donate my $ 500 odd membership next year to nicky and they can go to hell , ffs they pulled him out of the scrub away from his family , its time to look after our own . Time to give saints , and to all the players who took 5 cents in the dollar to save the club i hope to god a little bit has fallen into your bank account after all these years. S T LOYALTY
Dont think you can blame the club for the situation Nicky is in at the moment. Nicky himself has said he only has himself to blame.

It must be said though there have been a lot of people who have sponged off him over the years. :evil:
Peter Jess wasn't exactly a Saint (pardon the pun) when it came to managing Nicky's affairs...I still remember the time this prick held Nicky as ransom against the club. Poor choice of manager.

As with many of us, I hope it all bodes well for Nicky. A fantastic person and a champion footballer.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

As previously posted elsewhere I met Nicky quite a few times in the short time he was involved with the Wodonga Saints F.C. A beaut bloke, but I can imagine people over the years taking advantage of him financially. And I would bet my bottom dollar that the club did'nt look after his financial interests for him!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:As previously posted elsewhere I met Nicky quite a few times in the short time he was involved with the Wodonga Saints F.C. A beaut bloke, but I can imagine people over the years taking advantage of him financially. And I would bet my bottom dollar that the club did'nt look after his financial interests for him!
And why should they? He was paid well and he played well for the saints. That's what contracts are for. Both parties should be happy. Nick is a grown man and can choose to spend his money on whatever he likes, just like all the contracted players that play for the saints. If he has frittered his money away over time, why should the saints have to bail him out anymore than the Dees have to bail David Schwartz out? Nick appears to have taken responsibility for his actions and is not expecting sympathy.

If memory serves me correct, after that infamous Victoria Park game in which he starred and also brought the issue of racism in footy into focus for the first time, he THEN went on to hold the club over a barrel re his contract just days later. From what I gather, he appears very much a lovable character - but I've always been amazed at the rose coloured glasses in which many ppl on this forum appear to view him.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:As previously posted elsewhere I met Nicky quite a few times in the short time he was involved with the Wodonga Saints F.C. A beaut bloke, but I can imagine people over the years taking advantage of him financially. And I would bet my bottom dollar that the club did'nt look after his financial interests for him!
Nicky was not fortunate enough to play when both club and manager had greater control and influence over finances. Unlike in todays football were players are guided and advised on how to set themselves up this wasnt the case in Nicky's era. I dont beleive the club can take to much blame, I will say though if a few people out there have any self worth theyed be thinking about how they used him and feeling pretty piss poor.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I have heard several times over the years that Nicky had been done over a few times financially.

I believe he gave his house to a church once.

Or something along those lines.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think Luke Darcy wrote an artical about how when he was at the dogs he had a guy who was looking after his money cause he would just give it away to people who he saw as worse off then him ... sadly it seems his generousity to those around him has been his down fall ...

i would love to see the club purchase these items much like Verdun's brownlow as it is part of the clubs history even if they get the members to help donate the funds to buy it

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/