Straight Sets loom?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sam23
SS Life Member

Straight Sets loom?

I know a long way out.

But say Saints finish 3rd, Hawks 6th.

If we lost our first final, and hawks won, we would come up against them in the second week of finals.

Hopefully we win that first final/Hawks finish 5th, Freo 6th.

Goddard.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Straight Sets loom?

Sam23 wrote:I know a long way out.

If we lost our first final, and hawks won, we would come up against them in the second week of finals.

Hawthorn will be a worry for anyone in the finals but too early to be making calls about who would play who.

Also shouldn't be forgotten that the only 2/20 teams have ever progressed from the Elimination final to the Preliminary final.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Sam23
SS Life Member

Agree it's too early but I would be very worried to come up against Hawthorn in week 2 of the finals and I think many would.

Really need to kick start our form again.

Goddard.
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Hawthorn was so convincing on the weekend.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The waay I look it Hawthorn is a good option. We havent lost to them in the last 3 weeks.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I received some info today and it's not good news.

I have been told that at least 4 players have "hot spots" on their feet, courtesy of playing at Etihad.

At least 2 other players are playing with injuries and we have little or no depth.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:I received some info today and it's not good news.

I have been told that at least 4 players have "hot spots" on their feet, courtesy of playing at Etihad.

At least 2 other players are playing with injuries and we have little or no depth.
Expect more silly stories to come out while we are losing.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:we have little or no depth.
crisis creates opportunity. anyone at sandringham want to be a premiership player?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I am not doubting you heard this rumour St Fid, but why on earth would Ross be so adamant in continually saying we love playing there and the surface is fine?

Surely we would be looking to join the chorus of those wanting to boycott Etihad, especially given we have a few games yet to play there yet?

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Well, that's your opinion, if you think it's a "silly story" :roll:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well I have heard from people who know people who know Julia Gillard that it is a silly story.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well I have heard from people who know people who know Julia Gillard that it is a silly story.
Well good on you "know it all"

I wont bother any more :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well good on you "know it all"

I wont bother any more :roll:
I know bugger all but common sense suggests that isnt true.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Don't worry about finals.

We're playing a bottom 4 team this week and will probably struggle badly.

saint58
Club Player

Not good news can you name the players or is it just a rumor!

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

"4 players with hot spots" counts as news.

"at least 2 other players with injuries", depends? Dal and Joey with broken noses?

"we have little or no depth" is your opinion, and hardly the root cause of the team's current on-field problems.

Out in straight sets? Let's make the top 4 in the first place is a far greater concern.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

If by straight sets you mean win 3 straight games and win the flag, then yes, straight sets loom.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

If there's a team running around at the moment not carrying any injuries of any sort, I would be amazed.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:If there's a team running around at the moment not carrying any injuries of any sort, I would be amazed.
Of course there is, but we have lost both Zac and Clarke are injured, along with Jessie Smith, Armitage and Baker being suspended

Kosi has been carrying an ankle injury for a few games

and both Dal and CJ have been rested because of constant issues as a result of injuries related to the Etihad surface

Mini is down on form

We have also missed on our first round draft pick in selecting Lovett (which will come back and bite us for a few years)

We simply don't have enough players to cover these.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Beej wrote:If there's a team running around at the moment not carrying any injuries of any sort, I would be amazed.
Of course there is, but we have lost both Zac and Clarke are injured, along with Jessie Smith, Armitage and Baker being suspended

and both Dal and CJ have been rested because of constant issues as a result of injuries related to the Etihad surface

Mini is down on form

Dal and CJ hurt themselves in the last training session of the week. Both would have played had it been a final and that is why I doubt the injuries you suggested. They would have missed if that was the case.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

How was our form a month ago? How is our form now? How will our form be in a month? I think we'll be fine. Our form leading into last year's finals wasn't exactly stellar.

I think the real danger is that we drop out of the top four, but even if we do, I'll still maintain my optimism. All it takes to win a flag from outside the four is one more win. Just because it hasn't been done before doesn't mean it can't be done.

I'm also wondering how many of our resident psychics were predicting Geelong's demise around this time last year.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintkid
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:

Mini is down on form

We have also missed on our first round draft pick in selecting Lovett (which will come back and bite us for a few years)

Look, there may be merit in the Etihad surface and our current injury woes but what about the Bulldogs?? They play there too. Bottom line is Kosi and Clarke lack hard bodies, Mini would not get a game at any of the other top 4 sides and our depth is poorer than Cats, Pies and Dogs by a long way.

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

But we will win our first final so no point worrying about the 2nd week in the finals.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
Finna
Club Player

Very useful post :shock:

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

Mini is down on form

Look, there may be merit in the Etihad surface and our current injury woes but what about the Bulldogs?? They play there too. Bottom line is Kosi and Clarke lack hard bodies, Mini would not get a game at any of the other top 4 sides and our depth is poorer than Cats, Pies and Dogs by a long way.
The Bulldogs have depth and recently introduced Everitt and Roughead into their 22...

They have have also introduced Sam Reid
Easton Wood
Dylan Addison
Brennan Stack
Jarrod Grant
Brodie Moles

and Eagleton has just played 9 games this season.

They have played 32 players....

We have also played 32 players, of which...

Clarke
Dawson
Armitage

are injured

Baker suspended

Lovett delisted (1st draft pick)
Jessie Smith injured.