Our improved scoring ability .. and what to make of it

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Our improved scoring ability .. and what to make of it

Everything seemed to click in place in the last quarter vs Essendon when a couple of moves were finally made and we started to score a lot easier... and started to combine and run better.

it all started to happen when Gilbert went to the middle and Fisher and Ray played generally forward of centre.
Gilbert and Fisher were tagged and we lost their rebound - so I suppose our hand was forced and RL had to move them forward.

The question is can we or should we continue to play these players forward on a more regular basis?

Can we get by with other negating players down back, thereby releasing this creative duo/trio forward in future ?

Should we load up our centre line, half forward line and forward line with 9 creative, running players ?

The ability to score I reckon is enhanced by having as many creative, running players playing for you from the centre line and forward.

If you have a core of 9 creative, running players forward of centre playing alongside each other it could be a 100% improvement scoring wise on having only 6 .... or 9 spread all over the field - once you have a solid core of 9 of this type of player,from the centre line forward - it could lead to kicking 20 goals on a regular basis - rather than our current 10 goals?
It certainly looked like a 100% improvement once Gilbert and Fisher were released from their tags.
I reckon scoring could ultimately be the best form of defence - and we do need to score a lot easier.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 02 Aug 2010 4:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I still think you need running backs. We need to find a way of getting Fisher and Gilbert free. It is to big of an ask especially with Raph now out to not play those 2 back most of the time. If they dont play there who provides the run.

And I am not sure there was to much pressure on at that time of the game as the game was shot.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I still think you need running backs. We need to find a way of getting Fisher and Gilbert free. It is to big of an ask especially with Raph now out to not play those 2 back most of the time. If they dont play there who provides the run.
Gram?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I still think you need running backs. We need to find a way of getting Fisher and Gilbert free. It is to big of an ask especially with Raph now out to not play those 2 back most of the time. If they dont play there who provides the run.
Gram?
He is an option but is needed in the midfield as part of their rotations.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Gram?
He is an option but is needed in the midfield as part of their rotations.
Rotations.

Say he spends 75-80% TOG.

50/50 split between half-back & midfield.

The Saints are coming!
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I reckon we shouldn't underestimate the value of having a core of 9 creative, running players over 3 lines (Centre, H/F and F) who are always only one kick or handball away from each other... plus with Hayes and Monty roving that makes 11 core running, creative players concentrated over the offensive half of the ground.

There would theoretically be more quality ball heading forward for us and alternatively less quality ball heading into our back line.

Well that's how the theory goes anyway .. in practise who knows ?

Arthur Mullard
Club Player

it COULD have SOMETHING to do with the fact that Essendon were DONE in by their efforts and the game was over at 1/4 time :roll:

Yus my dear!!!!!