Some rational thoughts in an irrational world.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AP Erebus
Club Player

Some rational thoughts in an irrational world.

After a horrendous Friday night, I've refrained from reading anything and been thinking about where we are at the minute and I've distilled it down to a couple of key thoughts. In order of perceived severity.

Skill Level: At the minute this is the biggest difference between us now and us 4 weeks ago. I don't think I've seen our players turn over the ball more that I have in the last couple of weeks. This is absolutely killing us and the main reason we are getting scored heavily against.

Our defense is being caught on the hop because we keep turning it over in midfield or half forward line with sloppy kicks or missed marks.

If we can tighten up our disposals, give less turnovers, this will account for about 4-5 opposition goals a game.

Which leads onto...

Entering the forward 50: Good gods we get enough entries, I think we even won it against Essendon, but our disposal going into the forward 50 is truly terrible. Long bombs onto Riewoldts head with 3 jumping against him isn't going to give him a chance to do his best work.

It's been interesting to see how we are mirroring the mini-slump we had just after we lost Riewoldt. There was a few weeks where we struggled to work out the forward line, and it seems to be repeating now Riewoldts back.

Fisher & Gilbert: Being caught out and beaten 1v1 a lot more than they used to but I think this is a direct manifestation of the poor disposal. Both of these are part of the poor disposal problem but both are in a form slump.

Lenny and who...: Across the board the midfield is really struggling. Losing the clearances, losing the contested ball, tackles are down, you name it, we're losing it. I don't think that losing Ball has anything to do with it as they've done it without him. Really need to get on their skates.

When the going gets tough...: Apparently half the Saints go for a bubble bath. The across the board effort that we have come to pride ourselves on, Saints Footy, is no longer evident. Too much is being left to too few and it's taking it's toll.

A few weeks ago, Mark McClure on the ABC was reviewing the Geelong game and he said that the Saints are the best TEAM in the league.

Currently we aren't playing as a team, for the team, for each other.

When this changes, and make no mistake, it will, the rest of the competition better watch out.

The H&A season is really only designed to warm up to finals. We have a small injury list and while we are struggling a bit, our best team football is better than anyone else.

We will win, I have absolute confidence, but the hard work is about to begin.

it has been around this time that "Kosi" will headbutt a fence, rip a hamstring or belt someone.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

We were effectively down a couple of mids in CJ and a bruised pair looking less prepared to throw themselves in (Dal and Joey.)

Our backline looks a small player down with out bakes. Maybe that will get Al Smith in there or otherwise I would think seriously about Mini as a defender. It is his strength, even this year when the goals have dried up a bit.

I would look at Schnides and Milney taking a position nearer goal, they aren't a grade mids but are awesome forwards and hard to match up on both.

We should get it together next week on my 3 week adjustment that I mentioned in another thread.

philtee
Club Player

Well said AP Erebus - "the hard work is about to begin".
Interesting that today both Mike Sheahan and Rohan Connnolly are saying don't write off the Saints just yet.
Either something weird and wonderful is going to happen over the
next seven weeks. Or it won't !

spert
Saintsational Legend

All top teams have a strong spine -from full forward down to full back. This is our major problem now, the spine is jelly. Kosi is taking up space at FF, Roo is still not quite back to top form, Lenny picks up possessions and tries hard as ever, but his opponents are doing better, Gilbert can be exposed in one-on-ones and his foot skills are terrible, and Zac is injured. Our rucks are not doing well and we had Jolly for the Woods, and Hille/ Ryder at the Dons giving their team great drive against us. If your spine isn't working, forget it.
While I'm on a negative note, McQualter was an important player in our forward line last season, especially goal assists but took his foot off the accelerator this season. I would probably get Gilbert on the ball or CHF, move Roo to the wing, stand Kosi at full back, put Gram on a half forward flank, Lenny down in the back half, Eddy in the middle -just take a few risks RL.

saintkid
Club Player

spert wrote:All top teams have a strong spine -from full forward down to full back. This is our major problem now, the spine is jelly. Kosi is taking up space at FF, Roo is still not quite back to top form, Lenny picks up possessions and tries hard as ever, but his opponents are doing better, Gilbert can be exposed in one-on-ones and his foot skills are terrible, and Zac is injured. Our rucks are not doing well and we had Jolly for the Woods, and Hille/ Ryder at the Dons giving their team great drive against us. If your spine isn't working, forget it.
While I'm on a negative note, McQualter was an important player in our forward line last season, especially goal assists but took his foot off the accelerator this season. I would probably get Gilbert on the ball or CHF, move Roo to the wing, stand Kosi at full back, put Gram on a half forward flank, Lenny down in the back half, Eddy in the middle -just take a few risks RL.
I agree. Good post. That is the truth and it will take a superhuman effort for the team this year to get in the GF and win it. :(