Just a few observations on a miserable day

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Just a few observations on a miserable day

I periodically look on here to see if anytjhing informative is being contributed.

The same seems to be occurring, some sensible contributions, some rubbish and one contributor who must live on a key board commenting on everything and everybody.

My accessing is usually on days such as this when venturing out to enjoy the culture with wife and family is curtailed by the elements.

And today it follows a loss.

I am firstly reminded on the equilivant game last year, when Essendon absolutely smashed us but we somehow only lost because Riewoldt missed after the siren.

Then we lost to North Melbourne is an arm wrestle the week after.

No doubt you can not stay up for the entire season.

The upshot from the Essendon game last year was that their 2 rucks feeding to Watson and Watson feeding to their runners who cut us up as they did, running into open goals, saw us attempt to recruit one who inflicted such damage on us - and that unfortunately did not deliver.

But an area of concern was observed and corrective action was taken - including recruiting Peake.

The concern is still not addressed - as Essendon continuing to expose us has confirmed.

We have an imbalance with 3 small forwards (sometimes 4 with Milne, Schnieder, McQualter and Steven) and no small defender (apart from Baker whose efforts have been a tribute to a player whose papers I considered marked including for the reasons impacting on his availability presently).

I would have to conclude that Baker and Clarke are essential to our team structure. As is King.

Clarke, of course, I have been a big wrap for because he has exceptional skill and exceptional courage.

With Baker on a small forward and chopping him out of the game and Clarke on whoever we choose and providing rebound we can better utilise Fisher, Gilbert and even Gram in defence.

Plus Gwilt has come on given we give him a match up his 188cm can combat.

Dawson is 195cm, and I repeat that we just do not have a similar sized alternative for full back and where that height is required even if all he can do is put a fist into the contest.

Again against Essendon I thought the appearance of Geary, Blake, Dempster and Dawson in our defensive coach huddle said it all - we can not afford a defence with this personnel.

Time is up for Geary, Blake and Dempster - and we need an alternative to Dawson - including because of his injury.

Who do we have? Johnson is on the list at 191cm and Geartner is Rookie listed at 199cm - plus there is Simkin also rookied.

So the pickings are slim.

The mid-field lacked work ethic except for Hayes and Gram who is returning well.

That includes particularly Goddard - who is restricted in turning and is kicking poorly - along with Dal Santo and Montagna who appeared to be cruising.

The energy of Jones was missed and Ray was down a bit.

The rucks are placing too much on Gardiner - although McEvoy is showing signs - but that is the summary, McEvoy is showing signs.

Hille and Ryder took us apart - again.

In attack you feel sorry for Riewoldt and Koschitzke because the delivery to them was most ordinary - and left them contesting with at least 2 and usually 3 overhead - with no support at ground level despite Milne, Schnieder and Steven being in the side.

Lynch was a first gamer - so you make allowances and particularly as we never had control of the ball.

Lynch is 192cm and the type our forward line continues to crave to assist Riewoldt and Koschitzke.

When you can not control the ball and you are chasing and attempting to block opposition forward momentum with numerous running at you you look awfully slow because they just flick off to the next runner and he or the next one again go past you - then they back up again in the next wave as our players attempt to clog up space and not put direct pressure on the ball carrier and his mutiple supports.

The forward gets the yard he will always get and it is shut the gate because the deliverer is under no pressure - or they hit Hille or Ryder.

We did not create a contest and get the flow going the other way.

That is where and why the likes of Blake, Geary and Dempster in defence, and not in key defensive positions because they can not play in key defensive posts, the lack of accountability and energy by the mids except Hayes and Gram, the over running of our rucks and the failure of the small forwards comes into sharp focus.

I do recall a couple of years back Lyon saying that he looked forward to having a couple of 6' 3" running mid-fielders in Gilbert and Clarke.

Gilberts's last quarter was interesting.

Enjoy all!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Id like to say hi to the man who sooked and left. How are you today? Still consistant .Type a lot and say nothing.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Re: Just a few observations on a miserable day

To the top wrote:I periodically look on here to see if anytjhing informative is being contributed.

The same seems to be occurring, some sensible contributions, some rubbish and one contributor who must live on a key board commenting on everything and everybody.
Didnt take long TTT.... :roll:
Good post!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
To the top wrote:I periodically look on here to see if anytjhing informative is being contributed.

Good post!
Yep. If a bloke sooks as says he will not be back he deserves it. if you dont like it you are welcome to leave as well.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

thanks for posting TTT

interesting thoughts

Really believe that it's the midfield that is killing us. Either we lose the contested ball or do not have effective clearances when we do win it. Add to that our lack of run in numbers and no wonder the ball is slow and wide going forward.

Therefore I would like to see smith and CJ get a run in the guts. If dempster plays he needs to play as a shut down small back. Play bakers role until the finals. Can't wait for clarke to come back and should release gilbo up the field.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Good post, agree prety much 100%...

Will be a very divisive call on Blake, but agree with your assesment... Same goes with Dempster and Geary, who both have terrible disposal, and just dont get it enough...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:thanks for posting TTT

interesting thoughts

Really believe that it's the midfield that is killing us. Either we lose the contested ball or do not have effective clearances when we do win it. Add to that our lack of run in numbers and no wonder the ball is slow and wide going forward.

Therefore I would like to see smith and CJ get a run in the guts. If dempster plays he needs to play as a shut down small back. Play bakers role until the finals. Can't wait for clarke to come back and should release gilbo up the field.
Totally agree on dempster. We cant afford him as a shut mid. Isnt damaging enough. Still really think Gibert has to play back and find a way of beating his tag. He is good enough and we cant lose his run from half back. If Smith deserves game he must replace geary. Jack is a small forward and we need them at the moment.

Buckets
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Buckets wrote:

Good post!
Yep. If a bloke sooks as says he will not be back he deserves it. if you dont like it you are welcome to leave as well.
You think everyone deserves your saracastic and acidic replies. You feel compelled to remark on everything that anyone says and that it is your god given right to belittle anyone and make yourself the hero. Good luck with that! No wonder there are people who dont post here anymore with 'supporters' like you why would they!

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Solar wrote:thanks for posting TTT

interesting thoughts

Yep... Also, not sure on the stats, but it seems our tackle count has been well down this year...

We owned this skill last year, and it is a fearful trait, but it seems this year
we have really let this slip, and its hurting us bigtime...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Buckets wrote:

Good post!
You think everyone deserves your saracastic and acidic replies. You feel compelled to remark on everything that anyone says and that it is your god given right to belittle anyone and make yourself the hero. Good luck with that! No wonder there are people who dont post here anymore with 'supporters' like you why would they!
Hero. Know one even knows who I am. Talk about taking things to seriously. By the way when have I ever not shown support for the club. Dont confuse honest assessment with not supporting the club. I have no idea how much you love the club or what you do for the club but I love them and occasionly help them.

SaintWal
Club Player

I'll vouch for Buckets. Bleeds red white and black. Sometimes, especially after a loss, it is hard not to wear your heart on your sleeve. Unfortunately Plugger I do believe that you are honest. your skill is to stab that heart while it is out there ready to be stabbed. While I am not saying to tone down your "honest" assessments, I would ask you that maybe you don't have to take the opportunity whenever you can to rile other, obviously passionate supporters.

Buckets
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Buckets wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Buckets wrote:

Good post!
Hero. Know one even knows who I am. Talk about taking things to seriously. By the way when have I ever not shown support for the club. Dont confuse honest assessment with not supporting the club. I have no idea how much you love the club or what you do for the club but I love them and occasionly help them.
The problem Plugger is the fact that your 'honest assessment' borders on downright belittling of other posters. There is nothing wrong with honest assessment, the issue lies with how it is done and how one replies to others. I don't doubt that you love the club, hell i reckon everyone of us here love the club! The thing thats s***s me is there are those on this site who do seem to love to comment on every little thing said and have the final say and it gets irratating. I remember coming on here 6 years ago and enjoying the fact that there was good critical assessment and debate. Nowadays it just seems to be pot the club and other forum members at any chance.

quidnunc
Club Player

Someone on this site is an absolute pain in the backside and makes threads by those wishing to constructively contribute (whether you agree with the opionion or not) far less enjoyable to read.

I wish THAT poster would desist!

PS: if you think it's you - start now - and don't reply!

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:I'll vouch for Buckets. Bleeds red white and black. Sometimes, especially after a loss, it is hard not to wear your heart on your sleeve. Unfortunately Plugger I do believe that you are honest. your skill is to stab that heart while it is out there ready to be stabbed. While I am not saying to tone down your "honest" assessments, I would ask you that maybe you don't have to take the opportunity whenever you can to rile other, obviously passionate supporters.
As I said Buckets could be a great supporter. I wasnt the one saying he wasnt. He was the one saying I was so called supporter. Well all I know is i am a great supporter and it sounds like Buckets is to. Is his name Brett Turner?

Just because I want to question some things doesnt make me less passionate. The punter did a post today which was passionate and got a few positive response. i happened to say something that was a bit different to what he said and few then chimed in with their opinion which was different to punters as well. It created a good discussion. Had i not said anything he may have just got people who totally agreed with what he said.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Hero. Know one even knows who I am. .

that's....N O ONE....albert .... :roll: :roll: :roll:

ps.....and no one cares....ffs.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Good post, agree prety much 100%...

Will be a very divisive call on Blake, but agree with your assesment... Same goes with Dempster and Geary, who both have terrible disposal, and just dont get it enough...

plus one...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SaintWal
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SaintWal wrote:I'll vouch for Buckets. Bleeds red white and black. Sometimes, especially after a loss, it is hard not to wear your heart on your sleeve. Unfortunately Plugger I do believe that you are honest. your skill is to stab that heart while it is out there ready to be stabbed. While I am not saying to tone down your "honest" assessments, I would ask you that maybe you don't have to take the opportunity whenever you can to rile other, obviously passionate supporters.
As I said Buckets could be a great supporter. I wasnt the one saying he wasnt. He was the one saying I was so called supporter. Well all I know is i am a great supporter and it sounds like Buckets is to. Is his name Brett Turner?

Just because I want to question some things doesnt make me less passionate. The punter did a post today which was passionate and got a few positive response. i happened to say something that was a bit different to what he said and few then chimed in with their opinion which was different to punters as well. It created a good discussion. Had i not said anything he may have just got people who totally agreed with what he said.
While I agree with the sentiment that sometimes the best discussion comes from viewing an opposite perspective I really think that these days you take the opposite respective just to be derisive.

That is your decision and you are free to post what you want and so you should be.

BTW Who the hell is Brett Turner? That probaly answers the question that he is not Brett Turner as well.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

While I agree with the sentiment that sometimes the best discussion comes from viewing an opposite perspective I really think that these days you take the opposite respective just to be derisive.

That is your decision and you are free to post what you want and so you should be.

BTW Who the hell is Brett Turner? That probaly answers the question that he is not Brett Turner as well.
Sounds like it. Just an ex player at our footy club who had the same nick. By the way I dont deliberately take the opposite view. I just try to seek out discussions on points. If someone said Plugger was our greatest ever player I would just say agree. If someone said it was Trevor Barker I wouldnt agree and would say so. That wouldnt mean I dont rate Barks.

SaintWal
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SaintWal wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Sounds like it. Just an ex player at our footy club who had the same nick. By the way I dont deliberately take the opposite view. I just try to seek out discussions on points. If someone said Plugger was our greatest ever player I would just say agree. If someone said it was Trevor Barker I wouldnt agree and would say so. That wouldnt mean I dont rate Barks.
I get that.

Sometimes it seems if a poster said that Plugger was our best player you would immediately bring up Barks, knowing that you believe Plugger to be the best but wanting to argue/discuss the merits of such a point. Is that wrong, probably not, but you are an experienced poster and know how to rattle cages better than anyone I know on this forum, just use this ability to be constructive when a post warrants it not when it is self satisfying to yourself.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SaintWal wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I get that.

Sometimes it seems if a poster said that Plugger was our best player you would immediately bring up Barks, knowing that you believe Plugger to be the best but wanting to argue/discuss the merits of such a point. Is that wrong, probably not, but you are an experienced poster and know how to rattle cages better than anyone I know on this forum, just use this ability to be constructive when a post warrants it not when it is self satisfying to yourself.
It is the only self satisfying i am getting at the moment. As soon as the cast is off i will stop.

SaintWal
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SaintWal wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SaintWal wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I get that.

It is the only self satisfying i am getting at the moment. As soon as the cast is off i will stop.
Just a little too much information. All the best Plugger to you and your cast. In the end all any of us wants is a premiership.

Cheers
SaintWal

Moods
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:
Clarke, of course, I have been a big wrap for because he has exceptional skill and exceptional courage.

That includes particularly Goddard - who is restricted in turning and is kicking poorly - along with Dal Santo and Montagna who appeared to be cruising.

Clarke does NOT have exceptional skills or exceptional courage. His skills are ok and his courage is not exceptional. Not poor, but not exceptional. Let's not build him up into being any sort of messiah when he returns. He would be about our 12th - 18th ranked player when playing consistently.

As for the comment on Goddard. You have to be joking? He'd be ranked in the top 5 players in the league this year. He get's 30 plus possessions every week. You don't rack up those possessions if you have trouble with your agility. Occasionally in amongst that there is a clanger - usually because he's trying to set up play. His supercoach points are always so high because many of his possessions result in scoring opportunities for the saints. He rarely just chips the ball 15 metres sideways. He is given the ball to act as a quarterback, and that's the role he plays. Let's not scorch him b/c on the odd occasion it doesn't come off.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Buckets wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Buckets wrote:

Good post!
The problem Plugger is the fact that your 'honest assessment' borders on downright belittling of other posters. There is nothing wrong with honest assessment, the issue lies with how it is done and how one replies to others. I don't doubt that you love the club, hell i reckon everyone of us here love the club! The thing thats s***s me is there are those on this site who do seem to love to comment on every little thing said and have the final say and it gets irratating. I remember coming on here 6 years ago and enjoying the fact that there was good critical assessment and debate. Nowadays it just seems to be pot the club and other forum members at any chance.
nahhh
think ya getting ya plugs mixed with your jellyfish

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:
just use this ability to be constructive when a post warrants it not when it is self satisfying to yourself.
Maybe P66 needs to have a chat with Yoda....

You know to use his powers for good , not evil....and all that.

....but maybe P66 has moved to dark side just once to often... and is now lost to Darth??? :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I find this whole debate interesting. On the one hand we have the OP who left us a few months ago proclaiming that he wasn't interested in anyone elses opinion on here and that he was being treated poorly. He comes back and writes a long winded thesis on the saints woes, most of which, as P66 pointed out so ruthlessly, was dribble.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion on here, and I certainly won't deny TTT his right to express his thoughts. I just find it ironic that people are accusing P66 of being a narcissist when the 'look at me, look at me' jibes are more relevent to the OP on this occasion.