Gilbert in the midfield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint tezza
Club Player

Gilbert in the midfield

I thought the one positive on a dismal night was the last quarter move of Gilbo into the midfield . Only then did we look to have any potency at the bounce and actually got some clean midfield take aways .

I just thought it was one move that worked and could be trialled a bit more .

I know he is valueable in defence but he would be a hard midfielder to match up on and he did show he didnt mind the bullocking of the ball in the middle.

Lenny sure needs some help in this area.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The game was dead. Gilbo needs to work on beating a tag at half back because we need his run more there than in the midfield.

saint tezza
Club Player

maybe we need his run at back but if he cant shake a tag there , let him chase the ball .

I know the game was dead but ive watched the replay and he did actually help force the ball our way in the last quarter .

The start of the game we had dempster start in the centre square . I dont know if he was supposed to be tagging watson but he certainly wasnt standing near him and Dempster certainly isnt an offensive midfielder.

I thought Gilbo in there was certainly a positive move in a match where there werent too many positives.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Gilbo just can't break a tag at the moment.

I say yeah, throw him in the centre, worth pursuing with. Could re-ignite the midfield and the backline if Raph can return and produce the form he was working his way into before he re-injured his hammy. Shame about Jesse Smith.

Fisher to full-back?

Bad management is bad management
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

The game wasn't "dead", until the last 10 mins. I take it not too many of you were there for the last quarter.
Our guys weren't going in like they were and playing with the intensity they were because they thought the game was over. And the Bombers weren't getting stressed and worried because they knew it was all over. They were stressing because they knew how good their side is at letting their opponents get on a major roll and concede heaps of goals in a row. As they've shown many times this year.
We were still well within striking distance halfway through the quarter. Sure it would have been extremely unlikely that we'd get up, but no more unlikely than the game against Sydney, that was replayed on Foxtel the other week, when we won after being about 42 points down, with about 10 mins to play. Or the West Coast game they replayed earlier in the year, when we came back from 6 goals down in about half a quarter.
I realise it doesn't happen as much these days, but that sure as s*** doesn't mean it can't and our guys were definitely going for it. Peake kicks that soccer goal from a metre out, halfway through the last and it was definitely game-on. We had incredible momentum at that stage. Which is what we need to continue from now on.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:The game wasn't "dead", until the last 10 mins. I take it not too many of you were there for the last quarter.
Our guys weren't going in like they were and playing with the intensity they were because they thought the game was over. And the Bombers weren't getting stressed and worried because they knew it was all over. They were stressing because they knew how good their side is at letting their opponents get on a major roll and concede heaps of goals in a row. As they've shown many times this year.
We were still well within striking distance halfway through the quarter. Sure it would have been extremely unlikely that we'd get up, but no more unlikely than the game against Sydney, that was replayed on Foxtel the other week, when we won after being about 42 points down, with about 10 mins to play. Or the West Coast game they replayed earlier in the year, when we came back from 6 goals down in about half a quarter.
I realise it doesn't happen as much these days, but that sure as s*** doesn't mean it can't and our guys were definitely going for it. Peake kicks that soccer goal from a metre out, halfway through the last and it was definitely game-on. We had incredible momentum at that stage. Which is what we need to continue from now on.
Fair call on the Peake goal. We had a head full of steam at that point, and that would have put the deficit under 30 I think with time on the clock. Was a bad miss.

Still, that first quarter is haunting me...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'