Here's what's really happening

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Quixote
SS Life Member

Here's what's really happening

A)

Half our bloody team is sick at the moment

B)

If, as it looks, the Top 4 is 4 Melbourne based teams, who gives a rats where we finish between 4th and 1st

C)

I hate to admit it, but I think Bomber has been foxing, including against us, and I believe we've done exactly the same

D)

Our midfield was murdered. The rotations simply weren't there, we played too many swing/defensive types. See point C. RL is all over it, Dal comes back in, and I really really hope an Armitage or similar does too

E) We all hate Collingwood a lot more now. Which is great :lol:

F) I honestly believe Kosi's position is our only/biggest worry. McEvoy will come back in over Patttison. But Justin - gawd, please lift son.

G) Raaaffffaaaaaa!!!!!!!! Get fit son cause there's a spot there.

H) CHAMPIONS don't stay down for long. We are essentially still awaiting the return of NICK RIEWOLDT

That's all.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Quixote
SS Life Member

Also, slightly more negative -

We need to be conscious not to rely on Goddard (and his disposal) so much. It's amazing how much they do it. Players like Jones etc. BJ needs to be active in this and not command play so much.

Gilbert needs to work exclusively on his bloody kicking or learn to handball.

We must use our pace more - Jones, Peake, Gears, Ray need to get their skates on and be brave.

It pains me but Jimmy - they've learnt you like to play on and run and break through a couple - need a new trick great man!

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Given what CJ's kicking in general play has been like lately, I'm entirely comfortable with him always looking to handball to the likes of BJ, Dal or Gwilt to dispose of it by foot.

As for Jimmy: yes, when he gets the ball he usually tries to manouvre himself into a position to use his left foot, breaking some tackles on the way. Fair enough, his left foot is a weapon. But I've been impressed at how he's worked on his right foot kick and also an unusually long handpass as alternative options if he is checked on his left side.

On Saturday, I was more worried about the predictability of Fisher and Gilbert, and the weakness of their wrong foot kicking.

I agree with most of your other points, although I'm assuming your statement that half the team had flu is a supposition rather than a known fact.

Also, to lose to the Pies by such a large margin was surely rather demoralizing for the team and, if it was a result of foxing, represented an
error of judgement by RL IMO.

Certainly, the use of Dempster rather than Armo to replace Dal against a team whose main strength is in the midfield was a significant error on Lyon's part IMO. His continuing favouritism of the mediocre Dempster is a bit of a worry and could conceivably undermine the team's faith in their coach.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Sadly Armo wont be in the mix now :oops:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

If someone told me seconds after Riewoldt went down in Round 3 that 13 weeks later we'd be equal with Geelong and almost certain of a top four finish, i'd have taken it.

DWOODROW
Club Player

Saints depth is being Tested. That's what's really happening.

Saints43
Club Player

...I'm assuming your statement that half the team had flu is a supposition rather than a known fact.
The 'flu excuse has to be rubbish. RL wouldn't be sitting on the sidelines staring at his stats sheet and the players with murderous intent if he knew most of the players (and we'll assume that the 16 who didn't play well had this virus) if they were all ill.

This is the same as the 'adductor defence'.

Players don't play well sometimes. And if plenty of them do it on the same day the team will get smashed.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:Saints depth is being Tested. That's what's really happening.
I don't actually agree with that DW, depth had nothing to do with Saturdays result...Guys like Dempster and Pattison playing had nothing to do with our stars uncharacteristic (?) errors that happened all the day long.

Oh, and proof of that, some of the guys people mention like Pattison, Mini, Peake etc....all played in round 2 when the Saints beat North 143 - 39.
Last edited by SainterK on Mon 19 Jul 2010 11:26am, edited 1 time in total.

yipper
SS Life Member

There is no doubt that the StKilda Football Club has just come through one of it's worst weeks ever. Several players struggling with flu, the coach dealing with a personal tragedy, still trying to work our superstars back into form and we hit the filth playing like their lives depended on it. Nothing went right for us all day, the ball was bouncing their way all day. It was tough week, we lost - we now re-group and move on. Ross will be back in the groove and we will be ready to kick some ass in the next few games.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Superboot
SS Life Member

Does anyone know for sure whether any players other than BJ have been unwell?

The worrying thing is that this virus that's going around can take 3 weeks to get over.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

yipper wrote:There is no doubt that the StKilda Football Club has just come through one of it's worst weeks ever. Several players struggling with flu, the coach dealing with a personal tragedy, still trying to work our superstars back into form and we hit the filth playing like their lives depended on it. Nothing went right for us all day, the ball was bouncing their way all day. It was tough week, we lost - we now re-group and move on. Ross will be back in the groove and we will be ready to kick some ass in the next few games.
Excuses, excuses.

8-)

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

We lost.

Lets face it.... we were'nt good enough on the day.

The boys will lift, the loss hurt.

Ross and the line coaches will have already worked out what went wrong, and how to fix it.

We need Kosi to lift (been saying that all f****** year), Roo to be fitter, Raph to come back in, and everyone else well.

Collingwood did this to Geelong a couple of years back, and where did it get them?

Just believe.... it will happen.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

GrumpyOne wrote:We lost.

Lets face it.... we were'nt good enough on the day.

The boys will lift, the loss hurt.

Ross and the line coaches will have already worked out what went wrong, and how to fix it.

We need Kosi to lift (been saying that all f****** year), Roo to be fitter, Raph to come back in, and everyone else well.

Collingwood did this to Geelong a couple of years back, and where did it get them?

Just believe.... it will happen.
Post of the day so far. Well said Grumpy.

Don't know why, but I wasn't concerned on the day and I am not now. One bad loss does not equate to dropping out of the 8 or missing a chance at the flag......

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Grrrrr
Club Player

DWOODROW wrote:Saints depth is being Tested. That's what's really happening.
That's pretty much the conclusion I came up with after the game. Ross testing fringe players' mettel in a "finals like" atmosphere, see if they can cut the mustard.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

As I mentioned in another post , we seem to have a favoured bottom 6 that are getting regular games and that may mean there's 1 -6 better prospects playing for Sandy... who may not be getting an even chance.

We need more midfield run and a better functioning forward line, one that can can combine well to kick some easy goals... goals are as difficult as soccer goals for us - even a hack like Macaffer (spelling? ) made goal kicking look easy and showed us up..

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:Also, slightly more negative -

We need to be conscious not to rely on Goddard (and his disposal) so much. It's amazing how much they do it. Players like Jones etc. BJ needs to be active in this and not command play so much.

Gilbert needs to work exclusively on his bloody kicking or learn to handball.

We must use our pace more - Jones, Peake, Gears, Ray need to get their skates on and be brave.

It pains me but Jimmy - they've learnt you like to play on and run and break through a couple - need a new trick great man!
+1

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Moods
Saintsational Legend

You know with 10 minutes to go on Sat we were 30 points down. I thought we looked on top in general play. I also thought that if we can jag a couple of late goals it would only be a 18 point game which was acceptable in the circumstances (considering how inept we were all day) Sadly they got the couple of late ones.

The positive out of the day is that I honestly don't think we could play much worse. Only Joey and Fish looked like doing anything. Everyone else lost their positions I reckon. WE won't play that badly again.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Thanks for the input everyone, all interesting points.

Wasn't trying to be negative at all - I can't remember the last time I was less perturbed about a result.

I do however feel - as much as I think we WILL win the Cup this year - we are still one genuine midfielder down. In the heat of a final. Or Grand Final.

And with Armitage seemingly going down.......

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:Thanks for the input everyone, all interesting points.

Wasn't trying to be negative at all - I can't remember the last time I was less perturbed about a result.

I do however feel - as much as I think we WILL win the Cup this year - we are still one genuine midfielder down. In the heat of a final. Or Grand Final.

Perhaps Ross is preparing for that with Schneider playing more in the middle, with Steven playing his small forward position?

Quixote
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:

Perhaps Ross is preparing for that with Schneider playing more in the middle, with Steven playing his small forward position?
Hope so K.

Once Raph gets back, Chips might also be a big-bodied option through the middle.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Hope so K.

Once Raph gets back, Chips might also be a big-bodied option through the middle.
why not free up Raph Clarke to run through there?

“Yeah….nah””
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: Here's what's really happening

Quixote wrote:A)

B)

If, as it looks, the Top 4 is 4 Melbourne based teams, who gives a rats where we finish between 4th and 1st

C)

I hate to admit it, but I think Bomber has been foxing, including against us, and I believe we've done exactly the same

D)

Our midfield was murdered. The rotations simply weren't there, we played too many swing/defensive types. See point C. RL is all over it, Dal comes back in, and I really really hope an Armitage or similar does too

F) I honestly believe Kosi's position is our only/biggest worry. McEvoy will come back in over Patttison. But Justin - gawd, please lift son.

H) CHAMPIONS don't stay down for long. We are essentially still awaiting the return of NICK RIEWOLDT

That's all.
how do you know that half team is sick? noone has said anything except ross making joke of it before the brisbane game.

3:16
Club Player

saintly wrote:

B)

C)

D)

That's all.
how do you know that half team is sick? noone has said anything except ross making joke of it before the brisbane game.
The Question you should be asking is How do u not know, where have you been, everyone knows!!!!!

"Cause Stone Cold said so"!!!!!

Shane Birss in 2008- Go the Pircha!!!!! RIP
Jarryn Geary-MIP in 2010!!!!!
Armitage=2010 SuperStar!!!!! (Luke Who)?????
yipper
SS Life Member

When one bloke at a footy club gets the flu (Goddard for example) then usually everyone else gets it. Been thru them for sure. Didn't they look a tad disinterested at times against both the filth and the Lions??

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

3:16 wrote:
saintly wrote:

B)

C)

D)

That's all.
The Question you should be asking is How do u not know, where have you been, everyone knows!!!!!
Funny that the players i have some idea about andd that is a few not one of them was sick last week.