Cheer Squad

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Cheer Squad

Where were you?

Could see you but not hear you at the Jolimont end.

One of the guys in our bay wanted to know why there was no clapping or cheering or chants to try and rev people up and we were wondering the same thing?

Could someone please explain the silence or have you been muzzled in terms of behaviour by MCG security?

Sam23
SS Life Member

Was sitting right next to them and they were very quiet but so were the rest of the Saints supporters, wasn't a lot to cheer about after Koschitzke's goal.

Goddard.
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Sam23 wrote:Was sitting right next to them and they were very quiet but so were the rest of the Saints supporters, wasn't a lot to cheer about after Koschitzke's goal.
I agree there wasn't that much to cheer about in terms of general play but isn't there job to try and rev supporters and hopefully players to lift their games?

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Our cheersquad are a joke - the greatest bunch of fair-weathered supporters we have.

Admittedly the banners are pretty good most weeks.... but after the players have run through it, I suggest you all just head back to your cars and go home - we never hear from you during games.

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
Thompson4
Club Player

Seemed to leave early too by the last quarter it was pretty sparse down that end of the ground, disappointing because the game wasn't completely over at that point.

Andrew Thompson - The most underrated player in the AFL
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

I was waiting for this. a thread blaming the cheer squad for the loss, or taking the anger out on us, but 9:14pm? Your a bit late, the game finished 4.45pm, usually the thread is up and going by 5:30 at the latest.

I was not with the cheer squad today, but seriously, what was there to cheer? I think there was a goal kicked along the way to cheer about, maybe a good kick or possibly two, but please, I think that small amount of chanting and flag waving was more than the players deserved for their performance today.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:I was waiting for this. a thread blaming the cheer squad for the loss, or taking the anger out on us, but 9:14pm? Your a bit late, the game finished 4.45pm, usually the thread is up and going by 5:30 at the latest.

I was not with the cheer squad today, but seriously, what was there to cheer? I think there was a goal kicked along the way to cheer about, maybe a good kick or possibly two, but please, I think that small amount of chanting and flag waving was more than the players deserved for their performance today.
So the Cheer Squad only put in if the players do??

Nice work...is that indicative of the CS's attitude, or do they roll their eyes in embarrassment when they reads posts like that from you? :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

We had some fat bloke come down making a fool of him self.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Credit to level 4, some did try to get some St Kilda chanting going.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Never been a member of the Cheer Squad but I will say to posters that it is easy to criticise when you've never been in there yourself.

If you think the CS is too quiet then pay the $25 and deafen the life out of the place.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Lol

Is this thread for real?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
saintdooley wrote:I was waiting for this. a thread blaming the cheer squad for the loss, or taking the anger out on us, but 9:14pm? Your a bit late, the game finished 4.45pm, usually the thread is up and going by 5:30 at the latest.

Nice work...is that indicative of the CS's attitude, or do they roll their eyes in embarrassment when they reads posts like that from you? :roll:
How did I know you would be first to jump on me 66? You MW people claim you are amazing and some sort of a god send, yet when you have that small chance to pounce on the cheer squad you take it and treat us like dog sh1t on the bottom of someone’s shoes.
For a change, just once, I know may seem weird, but just think for one second what most of the cheer squad has been through watching this club. Today was out 150th loss to Collingwood, and half the cheer squad were probably alive for our first loss to them. Real supporters are not ones screaming their lungs out and drinking until they wake in hospital getting their stomach pumped, read supporters are the ones who attend games, no matter where the team is on the ladder, and that is the cheer squad.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
saint66au wrote:

How did I know you would be first to jump on me 66? You MW people claim you are amazing and some sort of a god send, yet when you have that small chance to pounce on the cheer squad you take it and treat us like dog sh1t on the bottom of someone’s shoes.
For a change, just once, I know may seem weird, but just think for one second what most of the cheer squad has been through watching this club. Today was out 150th loss to Collingwood, and half the cheer squad were probably alive for our first loss to them. Real supporters are not ones screaming their lungs out and drinking until they wake in hospital getting their stomach pumped, read supporters are the ones who attend games, no matter where the team is on the ladder, and that is the cheer squad.
To be honest, I agree that the CS shouldn't cheer less just because we are playing poorly, but by the same token the CS is full of dedicated fans who stay to the final siren every week and have been for decades.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
ace
Saintsational Legend

I don't want to criticise the cheer squad with respect to today but I can't help but suggest that the chant after a gaol that ends in a Woo is self indulgent.
I would love to hear them lead the cheering of something stirring instead.

The sound of Brisbane supporters slow "LI - ONS or West Coast "EA - GLES" were far more effective at Grand Finals than St Kilda cheer squads lame "Woo".

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:I don't want to criticise the cheer squad with respect to today but I can't help but suggest that the chant after a gaol that ends in a Woo is self indulgent.
I would love to hear them lead the cheering of something stirring instead.

The sound of Brisbane supporters slow "LI - ONS or West Coast "EA - GLES" were far more effective at Grand Finals than St Kilda cheer squads lame "Woo".
Im in the CS and i agree i hate the 'woo'

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I was sitting close to the CS and they were giving plenty of support when others were ready to throw the towel in! I didn't see any CS members heading for the exits at 3/4 time.
You know folks, it really is bad to start bagging good honest Sainters in the CS just beacause the team had an off day.
I support our Cheer squad and am proud to be a cheer squad member!
All I can say to anyone who bags 'em is this: JOIN the CS pay your $60.00 membership and get with us and DO SOMETHING YOURSELF!!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
St Michele
Club Player

Re: Cheer Squad

ozrulestrace wrote:Where were you?

One of the guys in our bay wanted to know why there was no clapping or cheering or chants to try and rev people up and we were wondering the same thing?

Could someone please explain the silence or have you been muzzled in terms of behaviour by MCG security?
Everyone looked pretty flat and shell shocked on the TV

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Unfortunately, a lot of the animosity that gets directed to the CS here means that some people in the CS have told me they don't come to Saintsational. That really is disappointing - people who love the club have said to me they feel the CS is treated so negatively that they avoid this website.

Seriously, we can do better than that.

There are a couple of other issues to consider about the CS:

1. There are SO many very very young kids in it. One of my most wonderful memories of sitting with the CS at a matcg was looking at a bunch of kids (children under 6) and they go SO happy when they could say "Woo". One little girl lit up SO MUCH when she got to say "Woo"... it really touched my heart. I have absolutely no doubt that saying "Woo" was the highlight of her match. And good luck to her I say... if we want footy to be family friendly, then that's the kind of thing even our CS will reflect.

2. When you are sitting at the MCG, the sound is very very different than a closed space like Ethiad. Sound gets eaten up by people (their physical presence kinda eats up noise)... and that obviously is an issue when there are twice the number of people there. And the open air space is another factor which can eat up noise, unlike a closed stadium.

3. There are 4 main things the CS do

1) Make the banner, which they did and always do.
2) Wave the floggers, which they did and always do.
3) Wear Saints colours, which they did and always do.
4) Cheer, which they did and they always do.

Of course, all CS use the opportunity of goals to start chants... ours is no different... and I have absolutely no doubt they did that.

I also recognize that it is human nature that you are less excited when you are getting beaten fairly comprehensively.

And let's keep it in perspective... does anyone think for a second that Ross went in to the team after the game and said "Geez, the Cheer Squad really let you down today. If not for them, we would have won". And then do you think that Roo replied "Yeah, we would have tried harder, but I couldn't hear them in one part of the ground"?

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I have found that any area of the ground needs a chant leader- as Jiggingsaint does in his area at Home games
it always needs one person Brave enough to keep trying in every bay

was there anyone in your area starting the chanting?
there were a couple near me- on a wing, but the general look of the game meant that the part timers don't get revved up

then again the pies supporters next to me had no belief in their team either but were proclaiming a premiership in hand by end of game- I did warn them it was only July ( and not October) but I think they missed that.
Last edited by saintbrat on Sun 18 Jul 2010 10:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
matrix
Saintsational Legend

when was the last time any of the baggers went interstate more than twice a year to watch the boys???

huh??

too busy sitting undercover at the dome maybe???

granted sometimes they are quiet, but ffs get ya membership to the CS
get a pom pom, get a trumpet, get some f****** face paint and go sit behind the goals then

ace
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:

I have found that any area of the ground needs a chant leader- as Jiggingsaint does in his area at Home games
it always needs one person Brave enought to keep trying in every bay

ws there anyone in your area starting the chanting?
there were a couple near me- on a wing, but the general look of the game meant that the part timers don't get revved up

then again the pies supporters next to me had no beleive in their team either but were proclaiming a premiership in hand bt end of game- I did wanr them it was only July ( and not October) but I think they missed that.
Did they walk on their cake crumbs or did they leave them for the seagulls.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

REAL cheer squads, Collingwood , Richmond, Carlton etc do NOT have members made up nearly completely of old people and bloody kids ! Thats the problem. You want it loud and proud,it wont be while it remains the domain of the near blue rinse set and very young kids. Just WILL NEVER happen.

Joke.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lol blue rinse

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
saint66au wrote:

Dools, dont be so damned defensive. Go back and read what I wrote again. I WASNT bagging the Cheer Squad, I was disagreeing with your statement that you felt the players didnt deserve more vocal support.

You guys do an awesome job travelling every weeek and tbh I reckon youve sounded particularly good at games this year. Heard you loud and proud on the TV twice at Subi..was terrific. Your banners are among the best in the comp. The "woo woo" chant isnt to my taste, but I know lots of the kids love it..good luck to em :-)

However, saying stuff like "the players didnt deserve more vocal support" is just silly IMO, and does your image on here no good at all. Yes its tough to chant when we are getting flogged, the MW up on Q12 were no better I promise, but noon ewas saying "Oh why should we chant the players dont deserve it"

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:REAL cheer squads, Collingwood , Richmond, Carlton etc do NOT have members made up nearly completely of old people and bloody kids ! Thats the problem.
So do we just ask all people under 14 and all over 65 to leave?
1. That would leave us with about 26 members.
2. I think you will find the kids make the most noise, I don’t see why children can not sit in a family friendly bay full of saints fans? They are the future of the cheer squad, why criticize them?
3. The three teams you just named have reserved seats with their cheer squad, they are paying a lot extra than us. With us you can have a family pass (2 adults, 2 children) for around the $120 mark, sit behind the goals and be up close to our heroes. With Collingwood they are paying $795 pp...Why would you bother signing up kids when you can get them a reserved seat 2 bays away for $700 cheaper???

saint66au wrote:The "woo woo" chant isn’t to my taste, but I know lots of the kids love it..good luck to em :-)
Correct. I’m not a fan of it either, but as Mark said before, the look on the kids faces when the 'woooo' part comes up says it all. The chant won’t be going for a while sorry.

matrix wrote:when was the last time any of the baggers went interstate more than twice a year to watch the boys???

huh??

too busy sitting undercover at the dome maybe???

granted sometimes they are quiet, but ffs get ya membership to the CS
get a pom pom, get a trumpet, get some f****** face paint and go sit behind the goals then
You are one of the first people from Adelaide who has actually said something that makes sense. :)
The cheer squad is at every game, wether its 4 of us flying to Perth for a game on a school/work weekend, or 70 of us flying/driving/train to Sydney for a game in the holidays. A lot of people would be struggling for money but it is amazing to see they can still spare some aside to support our club, and very rarely is any credit given to us by the club or fellow supporters.