Collingwood were excellent

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

doggerel
Club Player

Collingwood were excellent

Relentless pressure the whole day. Numbers to every contest backed up with streams of runners to space when they won the ball, or back onto our men when they didn't. I saw the Saints put strings of 8 handballs together that would normally have alleviated the pressure and cleared the ball, but today the Collingwood players just kept coming.

Well done to them. Glad it happened today. The Saints will be rabid at the contest next time we play them, which will be when it matters more.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

and they only had 3 more scoring shots :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Credit to them, they were a team possessed today.

No one stoodout but a lot of very good contributions- Swan, Shaw, Pendlebury, Judas Ball and the very gutsy Daisy Thomas

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Collingwood were excellent

doggerel wrote:Relentless pressure the whole day. Numbers to every contest backed up with streams of runners to space when they won the ball, or back onto our men when they didn't. I saw the Saints put strings of 8 handballs together that would normally have alleviated the pressure and cleared the ball, but today the Collingwood players just kept coming.

Well done to them. Glad it happened today. The Saints will be rabid at the contest next time we play them, which will be when it matters more.
no...we were just crap.... :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

as much as it pains me to say it, they were outstanding. had us under the pump right from the word go. mickey milkshakes did his homework on us. it was a reverse to what happened the last time we played them at the mcg.

we looked terribly flatfooted. not saying that it was the difference between a win and a loss, but a little extra drive from midfield from dal santo would have helped us a great deal.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:and they only had 3 more scoring shots :twisted:
yeah, but their delivery into their forward line was far superior than ours. we wasted forward opportunities and they made the most by converting with a majority of their attacking opportunities.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
PakenhamSaint
Club Player

I was at the game and they looked the goods from the start. We just didn't bring our A game with us today.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
Devilhead wrote:and they only had 3 more scoring shots :twisted:
yeah, but their delivery into their forward line was far superior than ours. we wasted forward opportunities and they made the most by converting with a majority of their attacking opportunities.
If their delivery into the forwardline was far superior to ours yet they only had 3 more scoring shots ... what does that tell you considering how bad we were???

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i actually thought they were average

we were in the game (literally not metaphorically) up until part way through the lasd 1/4 despite playing the worst football I've seen in sometime.

That game wasn't about how well Collingwood played, it was how bad we were

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

They definetly fired on all cylinders today. Players like Swan,I have never seen him move so well. There foot speed coupled with there Stkilda like pressure was lethal.
It will do us well(all non oxygen thieves for that matter) for them to get a run of soft tissues in the next 6 weeks,as they're moving to well at the minute

Bring back the Lockett era
stinger
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:They definetly fired on all cylinders today. Players like Swan,I have never seen him move so well. There foot speed coupled with there Stkilda like pressure was lethal.
It will do us well(all non oxygen thieves for that matter) for them to get a run of soft tissues in the next 6 weeks,as they're moving to well at the minute
i'll be happy if we play them in the big one come september

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:i actually thought they were average

we were in the game (literally not metaphorically) up until part way through the lasd 1/4 despite playing the worst football I've seen in sometime.

That game wasn't about how well Collingwood played, it was how bad we were
Their skills were good, not oustanding.

They won that game due to brilliant intensity.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
kalsaint
Club Player

Well I think Collingwood deserved the win today.

They had numbers around the ball and this enabled them to make more tackles and keep pressure on the Saints midfield and defence to make clearing the ball from pack situations difficult. Typically this is what StKilda normally does well.

While Collingwood had good pressure StKilda did not help themselves when clear by seriously bad foot skills at times. This was in front of goal and disposal to forwards (or should I say poor disposal).

Depsite the loss today I am not too concenred given the nymber of passengers we had today. I couldnt count these on one hand so there were 6 or more. This will always result in a loss against a good side.

In my opinion Ross has some hard thinking to do now leading up to the finals as I see our worse 6 of the playing group being worse than either Geelong or Collingwood so we need to be switched mentally.

Some of the second string players are not at the level they were last year and need a rest at this level to reinforce the message.

McQualter is a favourite of mine around the packs despite his low possession count but today he was missing and made some simple fundamental errors today (without player pressure). He wasnt alone hre though.

Speed is still an issue in the side and we seem to be missing a midfielder for rotations. There is too much work required from Goddard, Month and Lenny.

Gram and Roos need time to recapture form.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
bigred
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
jonesy wrote:They definetly fired on all cylinders today. Players like Swan,I have never seen him move so well. There foot speed coupled with there Stkilda like pressure was lethal.
i'll be happy if we play them in the big one come september
Same here.

They were good today. Much better than we were without any doubt.

I thought they played their best.

We can do so much better.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Hurts to say it but yes they were.

Even though we scored the first goal I thought they had come to play and we hadn't.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Yup.

We played shyte, they played really well... we got thumped.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Yup.

We played shyte, they played really well... we got thumped.
about says it all....

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

At least we can use their round 3 catch cry, and say 'we would of won if we'd made the most of our opportunities'

StSteven
Club Player

Rather play them than other GF contenders in Sept.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:Rather play them than other GF contenders in Sept.
x 2..ironically would have been more worried about them if we had won today..a little from left field but I think we will learn from this and they will not have the luxury of that jumpstatr come the business end :x

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
St Michele
Club Player

Re: Collingwood were excellent

doggerel wrote:Relentless pressure the whole day. Numbers to every contest backed up with streams of runners to space when they won the ball, or back onto our men when they didn't. I saw the Saints put strings of 8 handballs together that would normally have alleviated the pressure and cleared the ball, but today the Collingwood players just kept coming.

Hate to say it Collingwood were playing Saints footy and the blokes who had the Saints jumpers on looked like a bunch of blokes playing backyard footy that had got lost and ended up at the MCG.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Collingwood largely beat us at our own game - relentless pressure around the ball and in their forward 50 which lead to turnovers and goals.

Our players were never at the races today. Passengers got exposed and we always looked a step slower than the Pies.