Saints lead march when the top sides clash (the age)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saints lead march when the top sides clash (the age)

Some nice stat's there....

Though a little quick to justify Geelong's loss me thinks, was Chappy the reason they were kept scoreless for a half? :wink:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 10cok.html

ST KILDA will tomorrow confront yet another top-four side. Odds are the Saints will win. These are not bookmakers' odds based on the relative merits of the ins and outs of the St Kilda and Collingwood sides. These are the odds based on the fact that over the past two years, when playing against the top-four teams of Geelong, Collingwood or the Western Bulldogs, St Kilda has lost once. If it is a de ja vu top four then consideration of how those four sides have fared when pitted against one another - how they have gone over an extended period against the best sides in the competition - reveals compelling statistics. St Kilda has won nine games against Geelong, the Bulldogs and Collingwood over the past two years. It has lost one, a 9-1 record. Geelong is 6-3, Collingwood 3-7 and the Bulldogs 2-9.

Admittedly these raw statistics need some interpretation. When Geelong lost to St Kilda recently, it was a wet night when the absence of Paul Chapman from the Cats was far more influential than Nick Riewoldt's omission for St Kilda.

While St Kilda has had the biggest name out of the games against the Cats, Geelong has had more names out of its games. Furthermore, it is clear that 2008 had taught the Cats that winning every game - only to lose the last and most important one - was not a priority. Thus, keeping players up and out on the field the whole year was not necessary. Getting to the grand final and having the team ready to peak was the only relevant fact.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

We haven't lost a home and away game against a top eight side since Collingwood in round 19 2008.

We haven't lost a home and away game to a top four side since the Dogs in round 11 2008.

That's based on the position of the teams when we played them.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
saintnick12
Club Player

Haven't read the full article yet, but how can he say Chapman's omission is far more influential that Riewoldt's. That really plays down how well we have done without him. We have also beaten Freo twice since then (are they still 4th?) without him and also finished off that Pies game without him yet still won. So the fact we can win without him means we don't miss him as much as they miss Chappy - is that what they are saying?
Sounds a bit far fetched to me.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:Haven't read the full article yet, but how can he say Chapman's omission is far more influential that Riewoldt's. That really plays down how well we have done without him. We have also beaten Freo twice since then (are they still 4th?) without him and also finished off that Pies game without him yet still won. So the fact we can win without him means we don't miss him as much as they miss Chappy - is that what they are saying?
Sounds a bit far fetched to me.
Its only his opinion and based on the same sort of weather on GF day I would agree with him. Who cares anyway.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:Haven't read the full article yet, but how can he say Chapman's omission is far more influential that Riewoldt's.
To be fair, the last time both teams met in the wet on the G, Chapman was BOG and led Geelong to a win, and Roo was MIA.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

come on, let us not jinx the players.!!!!

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

kosifantutti23 wrote:We haven't lost a home and away game against a top eight side since Collingwood in round 19 2008.

We haven't lost a home and away game to a top four side since the Dogs in round 11 2008.

Another way to spin it then is to say we're due.

(Would rather drop it now than in the Grand Final!)

35...LEGEND
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:Haven't read the full article yet, but how can he say Chapman's omission is far more influential that Riewoldt's.
To be fair, the last time both teams met in the wet on the G, Chapman was BOG and led Geelong to a win, and Roo was MIA.
The last time both teams met in the wet at the G we won. :wink:

Before that in the GF ,Chapman was BOG :evil: ..................... Roo was playing injured :( ..................we lost :( .......................MIA ??.........bit harsh Rodg. :?
Last edited by 35...LEGEND on Fri 16 Jul 2010 10:00am, edited 1 time in total.

markp
Saintsational Legend

I thought Gram was BOG in the GF... and also absent the last time we played them.

35...LEGEND
Club Player

markp wrote:I thought Gram was BOG in the GF... and also absent the last time we played them.
Yep,Grammy had a blinder.

A return to that form over the next few week's would be nice.....oh,sorry ......"pleasing"

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:I thought Gram was BOG in the GF... and also absent the last time we played them.
Gram was very good - but so was his direct opponent (Corey) which takes the gloss off a bit.

Corey was missing from Geelong last time too so some would say they cancel each other out.

Gram's absence from our lineup is underrated though.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I had a Geelong supporter telling me that the cats would win by at least 10 goals and he would put money on it before we played them. He thought the wet would give them that much advantage.

The rest of the football world don't rate our team as skillful as the rest of the top 4 sides because we play a team game. In the old days our star players played their own games and it didn't stand up in big games.

We are a very good side that plays disciplined footy not a bunch of over structured hacks. Sydney was always considered West coasts less skillfull nemesis but when you analysed their team of that era it was a really good balance.

We cover our missing players partly because of the structure but a lot comes down to depth of talent and realising the potential of the players. Geary and Gwilt and such are guys that have really made the most of opportunities, these guys could easily just except their positions in the team, but they work hard to improve.

We will hopefully realise a premiership this year because it is the first time in my 25 years of watching footy that we have the cattle and the game plan to do it.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:We haven't lost a home and away game against a top eight side since Collingwood in round 19 2008.

That's a great stat, kft23.

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
You friggin cretin - How dare you suggest the skipper went MIA on GF day - MIA my arse!

GF day was hardly a day for his type and to suggest he was without influence on the game is utter bullshyt. anyone who was actually at the park knows that this crap about him being MIA is myth.
-nothing jerk!

MIA FFS!!!
Last edited by The Linton Street Flash on Fri 16 Jul 2010 1:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Look again it's the Flash!!
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:I had a Geelong supporter telling me that the cats would win by at least 10 goals and he would put money on it before we played them. He thought the wet would give them that much advantage.

The rest of the football world don't rate our team as skillful as the rest of the top 4 sides because we play a team game. In the old days our star players played their own games and it didn't stand up in big games.

We are a very good side that plays disciplined footy not a bunch of over structured hacks. Sydney was always considered West coasts less skillfull nemesis but when you analysed their team of that era it was a really good balance.

We cover our missing players partly because of the structure but a lot comes down to depth of talent and realising the potential of the players. Geary and Gwilt and such are guys that have really made the most of opportunities, these guys could easily just except their positions in the team, but they work hard to improve.

We will hopefully realise a premiership this year because it is the first time in my 25 years of watching footy that we have the cattle and the game plan to do it.
good post.

People just don't realise this. they are too quick to crticise our gameplan and our lack of attacking and call us boring or undeserving of success or whatever bulls*** they want to throw out there.

These people can go @$%# themselves!

The fact of the matter is we get the job done. We have a gameplan which we stick to and if nobody likes it, that's just tough.

We're not in this to play attractive footy that keeps the neutrals entertained. We're in this to win the premiership. We do that by doing what we need to do week in, week out. And we go just tjhat little bit harder when it comes to the big teams in the compeition, hence our impressive record against top four sides the last two seasons.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:We're not in this to play attractive footy that keeps the neutrals entertained.
If we win then I've been entertained.

Gee, I've been entertained a hell of a lot over the last couple of years :D

sainter104
Club Player

funny how saints can only play indoor football with perfect conditions yet one reason we beat pussies was it was a wet day !

bozza1980
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
OneEyedSainter77 wrote:We're not in this to play attractive footy that keeps the neutrals entertained.

I think along the same lines....

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

bozza1980 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

I think along the same lines....
Me too. I actually love watching us play. I don't give a s*** what some sook on Bogfooty thinks.

bozza1980
Club Player

sainter104 wrote:funny how saints can only play indoor football with perfect conditions yet one reason we beat pussies was it was a wet day !
I agree and think the whole "st kilda plays indoors means they can't play in the wind or wet" call is the most lazy going around.

So because they spend about 64 hours a year (that's counting every game at the dome as indoors) playing indoors they don't know how to play outdoors.

Conservatively this 60 odd hours would be less than 10% of the time they spend each season training outdoors in the elements at Moorabbin.

Lazy journalism, who'd ever think it....

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
falka
Club Player

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
gringo wrote:I had a Geelong supporter telling me that the cats would win by at least 10 goals and he would put money on it before we played them. He thought the wet would give them that much advantage.

good post.

People just don't realise this. they are too quick to crticise our gameplan and our lack of attacking and call us boring or undeserving of success or whatever bulls*** they want to throw out there.

The fact of the matter is we get the job done. We have a gameplan which we stick to and if nobody likes it, that's just tough.

We're not in this to play attractive footy that keeps the neutrals entertained. We're in this to win the premiership. We do that by doing what we need to do week in, week out. And we go just tjhat little bit harder when it comes to the big teams in the compeition, hence our impressive record against top four sides the last two seasons.
This is not a good post. I know many people who make big calls about their club, when they know nothing about Footy. Seriously, why post something that starts with I have a mate and then correlate this to the football world. At the end of the day, I can make 16 big calls right here that each team has no chance of winning the flag and I would be right on 15 counts. Does this make me an expert worth talking about. At the end of the day, who cares what is said as long as we get the cup!

starsign
Club Player

sainter104 wrote:funny how saints can only play indoor football with perfect conditions yet one reason we beat pussies was it was a wet day !
many of the experts were predicting a pussy advantage on a wet MCG as they play a lot more games outdoors ...Skill Stadium

but funny how you spend many more hours training than actually playing

and they forget we train and practice our skills outdoors continually

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

falka wrote:
OneEyedSainter77 wrote:

good post.

This is not a good post. I know many people who make big calls about their club, when they know nothing about Footy. Seriously, why post something that starts with I have a mate and then correlate this to the football world. At the end of the day, I can make 16 big calls right here that each team has no chance of winning the flag and I would be right on 15 counts. Does this make me an expert worth talking about. At the end of the day, who cares what is said as long as we get the cup!
What the heck does that have to with my post or the post I quoted?

:? :shock:

The post above mine was saying nobody respects us and I was agreeing to that.

But yeah, sure I guess I see where you're coming from with saying you have a mate who makes big calls. it's easy to make big calls.

Still, i think your reply was a little harsh since the rest of the post was quite good.

But that's just my opinion.

:)