How is everyone feeling about Roo playing?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

How is everyone feeling about Roo playing?

I must admit to being nervously excited.

In a way, I hope we can stitch the game up early and don't have a situation where we need him to make the difference.

How much game time will he get?

Will he start on the bench?

Will he start at FF or CHF?

Will he start on a wing?

What will be an acceptable performance?

If we lose, will the media savages go at us?

God forbid, what if he does a Richo and re-injures it?

If he fires and kicks 4 or 5, will our flag odds shorten dramatically?

Interested in people's thoughts.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Until the final siren, simply:

F<CKEN NERVOUS!!!!

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Joffa 5
Club Player

Quixote wrote:Until the final siren, simply:

**** NERVOUS!!!!
+1

One thing I don't want to see live is any roo issues

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I expect the usual performance from Nick. Anything else is not acceptable to him, or to me.
You need to understand we are talking about the best player in the competition and I can assure you he's ready to go. I don't understand all the apprehension.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

F<CKEN NERVOUS!!!!
I reckon you've summed me up too. :wink:

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:I expect the usual performance from Nick. Anything else is not acceptable to him, or to me.
You need to understand we are talking about the best player in the competition and I can assure you he's ready to go. I don't understand all the apprehension.
Don't think anyone would have understood apprehension before Round 3 either! :wink:
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Thu 08 Jul 2010 9:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Jumping out of my skin at the prospect of seeing him run around the Gabba. So glad he is playing his first game back up here. Such a thrill when you don't get to see much live footy.

I am not worried at all about him. I have total confidence that he would not be playing if there was any doubt. And very glad he gets a run around before the maggots next week.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

F<CKEN NERVOUS!!!!
Ordinary nervous Quixote, ordinary nervous :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

linz
Club Player

There was never a question of bringing him back through the VFL.
He would go full bore wherever.

Might as well play him where cameras rather than "I beat Riewoldt" players are in action. Not that Acker would say that.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

We are good enough without him.

If we lose him again we'll cover him.

But to see the best player in the AFL, the talisman, the defier of gods, the one who shifts the cosmic balance of the universe....to see him return is...pretty good! :)

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

nervous

mainly because major injuries always throw a body out of whack

fully expect some other niggly injury to result e.g. back soreness

but the cobwebs have to be cleared up ASAP so he can have a clear run to Finals

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I bet you are Saint Bev, nice for the interstaters to have the honour of his return game 8-)

Is he really back though, he hasn't actually been named? :wink:

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Cool graphic K :D

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I cant wait to watch him play again...

Like Rob Harvey, this guy is another once in a generation player.

Pay good attention...You will be gushing to your grandkids about Rooey.

He wouldn't be out there if he wasn't right.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

I am a little nervous I admit but also extremely excited - this isn't just the return of Roo but the return of the Kosi we know.

With Roo back in the side, I think Kosi will Play better too because he won't have as much pressure on him.

Kosi performs at his best when he is not under pressure.

Will be keeping a close eye on Roo but will be keeping an even closer eye on Kosi.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote: Will be keeping a close eye on Roo but will be keeping an even closer eye on Kosi.
Me too.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:

F<CKEN NERVOUS!!!!
Ordinary nervous Quixote, ordinary nervous :wink: !!
We wouldn't be Saints supporters if we weren't nervous.

But the fact is I'd be nervous regardless of which round, which opposition and which ground.

And really the final siren won't help things all that much. Well be just as nervous the week after, and the week after that, and the week after that.

That nervousness won't abate until the season comes to an end (hopefully a magnificent, victorious end :D )

casey scorp
Club Player

I'd have waited 2 more weeks - let him get right as far as the medicos are concerned and then some more.

I would have let this week pass without a flight to Qld and let next week pass without the pressure of a major match against Collingwood.

In regards to Collingwood, if we don't play him and Collingwood wins, they won't really know what might have happened if Roo had been playing. If he plays and they win, some of that mystique and psychological advantage has gone.

That would still have allowed 6 weeks run into the finals, which would have been enough.

There is a counter argument I will accept (provided the medicos have signed off), and that is a top of the ladder finish gives us a Friday night prelim final and as that is still up for grabs it's worth throwing everything we have at.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:I'd have waited 2 more weeks - let him get right as far as the medicos are concerned and then some more.

I would have let this week pass without a flight to Qld and let next week pass without the pressure of a major match against Collingwood.

In regards to Collingwood, if we don't play him and Collingwood wins, they won't really know what might have happened if Roo had been playing. If he plays and they win, some of that mystique and psychological advantage has gone.

That would still have allowed 6 weeks run into the finals, which would have been enough.

There is a counter argument I will accept (provided the medicos have signed off), and that is a top of the ladder finish gives us a Friday night prelim final and as that is still up for grabs it's worth throwing everything we have at.
scorp, you've moved.

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

Our house is abuzz with excitement of the return of Captain Rooey, but a little nervous too.
Kinda feel that he may be better off sitting out the next to games, but hey, those at the club know better than me

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
noob
Club Player

im excited. As long as we have all our players in tact starting finals the result won't result matter that much just how we perform. good times hopefully coming in the next 3 months :)

Badlands
Club Player

i can't decide whether i'm 'nervously excited' as MF put it, or excitedly nervous!
Given where we sit right at the minute, I couldn't for a second believe that they would bring him back now though unless he was well and truly ready.

In a funny way I still think that in years to come we will be looking back and talking about how Rooey's hamstring injury was possibly the best thing to ever happen to us. I certainly think it's the best thing that ever happened to Milney - he has been just enormous since skip went out.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
casey scorp
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote: scorp, you've moved.
Quite observant there Shakes.

Indeed it's true.

Very close to the Sandy ground now, and slip over to watch the odd game or two.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I'm looking forward to seeing him back in action and getting through unscathed.

What I don't want (and don't expect to see) is him being the focus of every attack. The past six weeks have shown we have many capable avenues to goal.

That is very healthy and stands us in good stead for a real crack at the flag.

He, Milne, Schneider, Kosi, Mini, and possibly Steven shouldn't have any trouble kicking us a winning score given that we win around the ground and the defence is as excellent as usual.

I'm particularly excited about the emergence of Steven. Those three goals against the Cats in the third quarter made me an instant convert.

He is a genuine star in the making.

Stanley is, too, and will be back before too long. He needs to work on his kicking for goal and learn how to better use his body in a marking contest to make it as a key forward.

But those are things that can be improved with just a bit of hard work. The important thing is that he has all the other tools necessary.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing him back in action and getting through unscathed.

What I don't want (and don't expect to see) is him being the focus of every attack. The past six weeks have shown we have many capable avenues to goal.

That is very healthy and stands us in good stead for a real crack at the flag.

He, Milne, Schneider, Kosi, Mini, and possibly Steven shouldn't have any trouble kicking us a winning score given that we win around the ground and the defence is as excellent as usual.

I'm particularly excited about the emergence of Steven. Those three goals against the Cats in the third quarter made me an instant convert.

He is a genuine star in the making.

Stanley is, too, and will be back before too long. He needs to work on his kicking for goal and learn how to better use his body in a marking contest to make it as a key forward.

But those are things that can be improved with just a bit of hard work. The important thing is that he has all the other tools necessary.
All very true....

I too hope we continue to be capable of kicking a winning score, without a heavily reliance on him.

I actually expect there to be a little initial confusion as his blonde head pops up inside 50, but nothing that won't be overcome quickly and efficiently.

I am super confident that the side he is returning to, is much better than when he last played.